Dukes of hazard!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Looks to me like the truck that did the crashing was trying to steer (and perhaps stop) for quite a while before impact. I wonder if that "wet patch" is actually spilled diesel?

Me thinks the driver of the Scania had his eyes on the prize, namley the Tom! LOL

I think 'Unbelievable' is a bit sensationalist.

It's very believeable but just looks like the second lorry driver thought the first was pulling over to the left and went to drive past but once the first lorry was turning converted his pants to the shade of brown you get in 70s/80s Vauxhalls/BL.

I think 'Unbelievable' is a bit sensationalist.

It's very believeable but just looks like the second lorry driver thought the first was pulling over to the left and went to drive past but once the first lorry was turning converted his pants to the shade of brown you get in 70s/80s Vauxhalls/BL.

Similar thing (but not as it did not involve hgv's and open windows...) happened a few years ago to me.

Me in my renault 5 doing a 170 deg left turn in Bristol. Van man see's me pulling to the right so that I have the room to turn and despite the left indicator prepared to shoot up my inside. I'd wound on full lock, then heard the screech of tyres and waited for the bang.

I've seen it on Police, Camera, Action and shows like that where someone has gone for an overtake and t-boned the turning car ahead.

This one was quite amusing - which was inspired by the above after seeing a Lambo vid in the right hand side:

Supercar Fails - YouTube

the only advantage of wearing a seatbelt is to stop you from moving around inside the vehicle and hitting a hard object, thus causing damage to yourself in the process

the main disadvantage of wearing a seatbelt is that you are anchored to the chassis, ie you move and stop along with the chassis. This can be a major disadvantage if the chassis moves or stops very abruptly due to the higher 'g's or accelerative/deaccelerative forces imposed onto the body causing internal organ injury and or skeletal damage compared to moving/stopping independently (and more slowly) of the vehicle.

In this instance the driver of the artic was clearly not badly hurt even though he fell out of the cab. So any advantage of wearing a seatbelt in this instance would of been clearly lost, ie he was thrown about but not badly hurt.

However if he had of been wearing a seatbelt he could of been more badly injured than he was. Reason is as described before, he would of definitely be exposed to a far higher and more damaging lateral 'g' loading on his body as he would of started moving and stopped moving more abruptly than he did. In this particular accident the same lateral energy (as being strapped in) was both imposed and dissapated from him BUT over a longer period of time (as he could move about) thus causing a far lesser damaging g force on him.

Looking at this video I would say it would of been highly probable that if he had of been strapped in he would of suffered moderate/severe neck injuries and possibly internal damage to soft tissue hitting his skeleton due to the lateral movements involved (both from the initial impact and the artic coming abruptly to rest after the accident had taken place).

That said, in the majority of accidents wearing a seatbelt is far safer than not. You are only better off (but normally by a large margin) if you are thrown free from the vehicle, assuming you dont suffer an injury by hitting any part of the vehicle on the exit route! Which statistically is not very likely. This chap was very lucky !

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom