Dumb first question - how to work aircon in W210

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fat Freddie

Car
E320
Hi everyone, sorry this is probably a bit of a stupid question but I've just got myself quite a decent old 1997 W210 E320 Avantgarde and although I'm assuming it has air conditioning I can't work out how to use it.

My car has the simpler style of heater controls as shown here....

BmHrsl.jpg

I'm guessing the "EC" button between the heated window and recirculation buttons is something to do with it but there's no tell-tale 'click' when you press it and no change in engine noise. Maybe it's kaput?

I didn't get an owner's manual with the car and while I've found one online it's for the US version of the car and only shows the upgraded climate control panel and not the simpler one I've got.
Does anyone have a link to the UK spec manual, or even their own manual which may accidentally fall onto a scanner at the appropriate page?

It's the only bit of the car I can't figure out so far.
Cheers for your help. (Assuming I get any that is....):D

Aircon is on when you press the Ec button and the red light is off.

Mercedes assume that running with the aircon ON is the norm, and have provided an 'Economy' button to turn it off. The red light comes on to warn you that you are in 'Economy' mode.

OK, I thought it was the other way round cheers. IE aircon on when the light is on. So is the aircon permanently ON then?
I really can't detect any change in sound from the engine no matter what setting it's on, is that normal or would I need to set the temp wheel to cold for it to kick in?

Bear in mind it's freezing up here at the moment (Glasgow) and I'm far more interested in the heater than the aircon, but I'm just trying to figure out the heater controls and see if the aircon worked.

OK, I thought it was the other way round cheers. IE aircon on when the light is on.
I really can't detect any change in sound from the engine no matter what setting it's on, is that normal or would I need to set the temp wheel to cold for it to kick in?

Bear in mind it's freezing up here at the moment (Glasgow) and I'm far more interested in the heater than the aircon, but I'm just trying to figure out the heater controls and see if the aircon worked.

Read my post again...you will see I said exactly the opposite.:doh: Aircon on when light off (or is that what you meant...can get confusing).

Aircon can be left on all year round, use the temp wheels to provide the heat/cold you want.

Last edited:
Aircon on when light off (or is that what you meant...can get confusing).

Yeah, that's what I thought you meant, cheers.
Just seems the wrong way round to me, the light being on to show the function is switched off...

So it only kicks in when the temperature control is set to cold then? If so how do you use it as a dehumidifier? IE have the aircon running while the heater is putting out heat, or is that what it does all the time when it's not in 'Economy' mode?

Again, apologies for the dumb questions but this is my first Merc and the heating/vent controls aren't like what I'm used to.

Remember, the EC button isn't the 'Aircon' switch, it's the 'Economy' switch.

Leave it 'Off' ie. no red light, and set the temperatures on the coloured wheels. The system will sort itself out. The A/C compressor has an electronically controlled clutch which will only engage when needed.

If you're running on fumes and the nearest fuel is fifty miles away you can turn EC on, otherwise leave it off.

If there is no noticeably chilled air when your thumbwheels are moved into the blue then you likely have a rusty/holed condensor which is a common problem on Mercs this age.

Not a huge amount of cost to having it replaced and the system regassed but haven't got round to having mine fixed yet.

In normal mode the AC will cut in when needed to lower the temperature. Pressing the top button should light up a red button in the top switch. This means the AC is running regardless of whether it needs to cool the air. Good for dehumidifying on these damp mornings/evenings. Test the system by pressing the top button and turning temp as cold as it will go. You should get ice cold air. If the outside temp is too low - I think 3C or less - the system wont come on.

In normal mode the AC will cut in when needed to lower the temperature. Pressing the top button should light up a red button in the top switch. This means the AC is running regardless of whether it needs to cool the air. Good for dehumidifying on these damp mornings/evenings. Test the system by pressing the top button and turning temp as cold as it will go. You should get ice cold air. If the outside temp is too low - I think 3C or less - the system wont come on.

The top button is the demist button.:confused:

The top button is the demist button.:confused:
My understanding is its the demist button only on those with full climate control. On the ordinary system you have to set the fan speed and direction manually and use the demist button to get constant AC to remove the moisture. Might be wrong but thats how it was on our old one and how it works on the 124. Maybe there were some variations over time.

My understanding is its the demist button only on those with full climate control. On the ordinary system you have to set the fan speed and direction manually and use the demist button to get constant AC to remove the moisture. Might be wrong but thats how it was on our old one and how it works on the 124. Maybe there were some variations over time.

We're both wrong...it's the heated rear window switch.:doh:

So it is. How stupid can I get? - Dont answer that one

If the outside temp is too low - I think 3C or less - the system wont come on.

I'll get back to you in about April on that one!
If I wanted 3C today I'd still be using the heater. :D

Cheers for the help, think I understand it now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom