Dummy GPS Antenna? Yes or No?

Shall I fit a dummy GPS antenna?

• Yes, that way the install will look completely OEM

Votes: 9 15.5%
  • No, its a waste of time, looks crap, and will fall off in the car wash

Votes: 41 70.7%
  • I don't know. Shouldn't you be working?

Votes: 8 13.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rose Chap

MB Enthusiast
Car
Lexus GS450h
There is a dummy one that looks identical to the oem one, or if you're a bit nuts you could buy the oem one and rather than drill holes etc just glue it to the roof.

If you're worried about it falling off you could stick something slightly more substantial and streamlined to your roof. Such as a fake breast, or something.

Subtle mate, thanks... :)

Somewhat disturbingly though I'm still considering this plan, despite poll results to date.

Is this the start of the disease known as 'mod fever'?

Rose Chap said:
Is this the start of the disease known as 'mod fever'?

Nope, sounds like the disease is already well advanced.... I'm afraid the outlook isn't good ... ! :p

S.

(recovering modder)

I voted to install it as you actually have COMAND. What looks lame IMHO is a fake antennae without COMAND.

sym said:
Nope, sounds like the disease is already well advanced.... I'm afraid the outlook isn't good ... ! :p

S.

(recovering modder)

I'm not sure I can handle the stress of this modding lark if the COMAND install was anything to go by!

Okay, my next question. What does the offical GPS antenna on a W208 look like and can I buy one that looks like it on fleabay?

Rose Chap said:
Okay, my next question. What does the offical GPS antenna on a W208 look like and can I buy one that looks like it on fleabay?
The temptation to oblige is so strong it almost hurts... however I think the image I'm thinking of is not one that should be on this forum!

(plus it would take me a day to try and edit the appropriate pictures)

Sorry, I voted no but then again its up to you ultimately. I considered this to my old C Class coupe a couple of years ago and when I mentioned it on here no one would talk to me for ages:eek: . I was combining it with a (iffy) spoiler though so the might explain the Coventry treatment;) .

Portzy.

I completely accept and agree 100% with it looking completely naff if I didn't actually have COMAND fitted, but since it is I want it to look completely, well, I believe pukka is the word.

Iffy spoilers are inexcusable. ;)

Rose Chap said:
I completely accept and agree 100% with it looking completely naff if I didn't actually have COMAND fitted, but since it is I want it to look completely, well, I believe pukka is the word.

Iffy spoilers are inexcusable. ;)

Go for it then, now you've got COMAND you'll be completing the picture. At the time I was all talk and no trousers or is it all show and no go? although some would say, "whats changed then?":D

Portzy.

Does the COMAND work? Why fit the dummy antenna?

We have had one member who had their COMAND stolen, I would be devasted if it happened to me. If you do not need a dummy then my vote is No.

Mind you I have always been against dummies.

John the grump

Of course my COMAND works John! There was never any doubt in my mind about it not working (as long as you discount all of Saturday evening and most of Sunday morning).

Anyway, the idea behind the dummy GPS atennae is WITH the dummy GPS antennae there is no way to distinguish my install of COMAND with a factory one, so my quest is to achieve complete consistency of look.

However, the fact remains it doesn't NEED one to work, hence my poll questions.

Rose Chap said:
Of course my COMAND works John! There was never any doubt in my mind about it not working (as long as you discount all of Saturday evening and most of Sunday morning)..

OOpps,
I think my post was misunderstood, I totally accept your COMANd worked and if it works without having the 'dummy' ;) then I would be over the moon. However I do understand where your coming from by wanting it to look like the original model with the antenna.

Hence my vote ;)

John

Rose Chap said:
I've ordered that antenna from eBay... :eek:

:) - make sure that you align it correctly postioned straight/central when sticking it on...

I think the one you have ordered is for an SClass, it's the same as the one on my SClass. Or are they all the same?

I believe the word is fiddlesticks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom