Dunkirk - The Movie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
We went along to see this last night.

The place was absolutely packed. Clearly visible were lots of military veterans with their wives and families. That was good to see.

The film was good theater. Lots of action. It crams a massive event into 1hour & 45 minutes and in doing so, loses lots. Some of scenes are upsetting, as of course we are watching what know did happen.

Some very good aerial shots with Spitfire's. Not sure about the HE111? I thought there were none left flying?

Mark Rylance, is (as always) excellent. I rather suspect that he plays Mark Rylance as Mark Rylance. I like him and his work.

A good evening for the family with some history crammed in.

We went to see it too, conversely the cinema was almost empty with no military veterans present.

I thought as a film it was merely OK, I'm not sure what I was expecting to be fair, but I didn't feel transported to the event, however, the civilian dad taking his boat across was played extremely well.

I'd not let my view put anyone off from going though, because it was historically interesting.

If daughter no. 2 had done what she said she was going to do...see Dunkirk...I could discuss with you. But she didn't.

Mixed reviews both on here and in the press. Think Ill wait for it to come on TV and make my mind up then.

That was my understanding that there none left in capable of flying. I did read that one was being restored somewhere?

There are only a handful of He 111s still in existence, none of them airworthy. IIRC the RAF museum (Hendon) has one.

All the flyable "Heinkels" have actually been post war Merlin-engined Spanish CASA 2.111s. AFAIK all the airworthy ones have crashed over the years - the British aerobatic pilot Neil Williams died in one, ferrying it back from Spain to the UK.

c5422lg.jpg

This is from here:

https://acesflyinghigh.wordpress.com/2014/07/13/the-battle-of-britain-1940-a-duel-of-eagles/

Mark

I have this same photograph in a frame ;^) I lived for many happy years on the Isle of Dogs in 'Manchester Yard' which is clearly visible in the photograph (on the right side). This was a shipyard during WWII having natural beach to the Thames - which is still there today. The photograph is reproduced in most pubs on the island ;^)

the film did not fill up the whole screen of the cinema screen where I watched Dunkirk .. there were black borders top, bottom and sides

bit like watching an old film on today's TV

I did read that there was very little use of CGI in the production of the film, most of the scenes were apparently filmed using old-fashioned filming techniques.

Some interesting details on how it was shot here ... around 2:30 in for the aircraft stuff

[YOUTUBE HD]wyTKAyqsIHY[/YOUTUBE HD]

the film did not fill up the whole screen of the cinema screen where I watched Dunkirk .. there were black borders top, bottom and sides bit like watching an old film on today's TV
That's probably a reflection on the projection equipment /screen in the theatre you were watching in.:( Although filmed in 70 mm its distributed in a variety of formats including the standard 35 mm.
As they say----- sadly not all movie theatres are the same. ;)

ps Emma Thomas "the producer" is Cris Nolan's wife for those interested in these things.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom