Dunlop Sportmaxx RT - Views?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

developer

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Volvo V90 D5 AWD
Goodyear told me again today that Eagle F1's are on 6 week back order, the same 6 week back order they told me about 6 weeks ago :mad:.

So, I'd like to try Dunlop Sportmaxx RT's that have good reviews, except for wear.

Lots of online reviews about poor wear, so I'd like to canvas more trusted views (well, most of the time :D) on here.

Has anyone had any experience please?

They're a soft compound, so don't last that long but are lovely and comfortable. A colleague had them on his C180 AMG Sport. They were very quiet and further helped iron out the road. I tried to get them for mine, but they don't do them in my size, so I went with some others which are similarly quiet.

Not sure they'll last long on your 63 though. :eek:

John
I have the Eagle's on the rear and Dunlops on the front. They do wear a little quicker than the F1's but a decent grip on cornering and pretty quiet on all surfaces

Each to their own but definitely worth a try ;)

69dB Chris - very quiet, comparably speaking, which is part of the attraction :thumb:.

I've had them on our S203 for about 6 months now, very happy with them.

John, please buy some and tell us all how long they last on the 63. I almost went for the Sportmaxx RT's in January, primarily for the lower noise and good grip, but ultimately gave up on them because...

wait for it...

wait for it...

The rears were on backorder :doh:

I've got them on my XF, can't comment on wear yet but they are quiet and very grippy.

I'm a massive Dunlop convert, had Sportmaxx on my E350 S212 to try and quieten it down and it worked well, then had the Dunlop 4D winters and they were amazing, now have Dunlop EfficientGrips on my ML and now on the old mans ML350 and they are super comfy and seriously quiet.

The rears were on backorder :doh:
Just to add that I'm very wary of running any tyre that is frequently on backorder from the point of view that if I pick up an unrepairable puncture, I'm pretty much guaranteed to be put in the position of having to buy a pair of tyres so as not to end up with mismatched rubber on one axle.

If you're sticking to the standard sizes on a W/S212 E63 my experience is that the only premium tyres that are always freely available are Pirelli PZeros and Conti 5P's (and perhaps one of the Bridgestone offerings).

Just to add that I'm very wary of running any tyre that is frequently on backorder from the point of view that if I pick up an unrepairable puncture, I'm pretty much guaranteed to be put in the position of having to buy a pair of tyres so as not to end up with mismatched rubber on one axle.

If you're sticking to the standard sizes on a W/S212 E63 my experience is that the only premium tyres that are always freely available are Pirelli PZeros and Conti 5P's (and perhaps one of the Bridgestone offerings).

Yup exactly the reason I've still not bought a set yet

Michelin PS2 are also on Backorder on the rears with no date for when they'll be back in stock

I was told that by Michelin themselves.

There are PZero's in my size ranging from £138 to £250+ on either Tyreleader or Openeo :dk:.

Their ads don't specify Rosso, Nero etc, just PZero - very unhelpful.

Regarding the warranty issue with 295's , I got a mixed picture from my MB dealer.

At first he said it wouldn't matter regarding warranty, then he modified his view to say he wouldn't fit the 295's as the car was designed for 285's for a reason and MB might adopt that approach in the event of a claim.

Regarding the warranty issue with 295's , I got a mixed picture from my MB dealer.

At first he said it wouldn't matter regarding warranty, then he modified his view to say he wouldn't fit the 295's as the car was designed for 285's for a reason and MB might adopt that approach in the event of a claim.

Thanks I was waiting for your reply regarding the 295's

Better sticking to oem by the looks of it :dk:

There are PZero's in my size ranging from £138 to £250+ on either Tyreleader or Openeo :dk:.

Their ads don't specify Rosso, Nero etc, just PZero - very unhelpful.
Sorry John, I missed this post.

Having run the PZeros and now the Conti 5P's, I prefer the latter which give much better grip in normal winter temperatures.

For now at least, I've stuck with PZero MO.

I hadn't considered that if you're running a difficult to get tyre (back order etc.) and you get a puncture, you're potentially farked.

Funny things P Zero's - they whizz up and down the rating, depending on their latest re-incarnation.

Out of interest I also opted for tyre damage insurance for £7.50 per tyre, with a replacement tyre payout for non repairable punctures, based upon a tread depth left sliding scale. Repairable punctures done for free.

Cheap enough to give it a go.

I did this with my Michelins. Free rebalancing and roadside callout....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom