'Dutch' style roundabout closed after one week

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bob6600

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
AUDI S8 V10, S210 E320 CDI (R.I.P.)
Only recently opened, and was to be cyclist friendly. Seems a hit and run has closed it already. Looks like it would cause confusion and possibly more accidents

_113887783_capture.jpg

Many road layouts in London were changed during the lockdown, removing car lanes and adding bus lanes and wide cycle lanes instead, and imposing a 20mph limit.

But there are 3 roads need my house where the layout was changed more than once in the past three months - in one location it was changed 3 times.

The issue seems to be the location of the wide cycle lane - it was moved to the left, then to the centre, then to the left again.

I am guessing that the new wide cycle lanes have caused a few near misses. The issue seem to be that the wide cycle lane offers cyclists a sense of false security, and they just ride-on when a car lane crosses the cycle lane not realising that motorists don't look out for them.

£2.3 million .....???? I wonder how long before a cyclist gets "T" boned on one of the junctions , looks like a death trap to me.

Reactions: 219
Too much going on. You approach and see a zebra crossing. Once the crossing is clear, you drive on, only to see a cyclist coming around, so you stop, on the zebra crossing :fail:

On exiting, there could be a cyclist going around and you have to stop on the roundabout itself. What could go wrong??

This wasn't thought out very well by Cambridge council was it:wallbash:

I'm sure Cambridge council tax payers are not happy to see that amount of money wasted on a harebrained idea that works somewhere else. but won't in the UK.

The main danger is the give way on exit , which we don’t normally have here . This will cause a lot of rear end shunts as vehicles stop unexpectedly and are hit from behind by vehicles which have just moved off .

Not to mention the untold congestion this will cause .

It would have been cheaper , and safer , to have given cyclists and pedestrians over bridges or underpasses to separate them fully from motor vehicles on the roundabout .

Lack of common sense by all involved .

Oh , and in addition to the above , also related to the handbrake thread : one of the reasons it is important to use your handbrake at a give way is that if shunted from behind and only holding the vehicle on the foot brake , the impact can jolt your foot off the pedal allowing the vehicle to move forward - especially an automatic still in drive . If a hand/parking brake is applied it can prevent the vehicle being shunted forward onto a pedestrian crossing or out into a roadway , which would be occupied with other traffic if you were stopped .

That would confuse me too . I wonder if anyone follows the arrows ...
I just went to Brent Cross shopping centre and I can confirm that 25% of the population don't know what a face mask is and 33% can't actually follow the world's most obvious, well-signed and simple one-way system.

I guess half of them are just thick and the rest don't give a shit about anyone else.

I just went to Brent Cross shopping centre and I can confirm that 25% of the population don't know what a face mask is and 33% can't actually follow the world's most obvious, well-signed and simple one-way system.

I guess half of them are just thick and the rest don't give a shit about anyone else.

All these people should know better than to go to the places where all these people congregate. If many of all these people don't follow the restrictions that all these people should follow it increase the risk for all the other people that don't go to these places. when these people go to other places that the other people do go to.
At least carrying out a survey on the behaviour of what these people don't do to protect themselves and other people let's the other people that don't go to these places know of the increased risk of going to these places that these people do got to. Other people know now it's better to stay away from these places.
I might well go to a pub later to carry out my own survey.

Last edited:
All these people should know better than to go to the places where all these people congregate. If many of all these people don't follow the restrictions that all these people should follow it increase the risk for all the other people that don't go to these places. when these people go to other places that the other people do go to.
At least carrying out a survey on the behaviour of what these people don't do to protect themselves and other people let's the other people that don't go to these places know of the increased risk of going to these places that these people do got to. Other people know now it's better to stay away from these places.
I might well go to a pub later to carry out my own survey.

The pub's not a bad idea. At least I can have a drink whilst counting people. Sound like a plan.

Reactions: m80

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom