DVD burners

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jeffreyli86

Car
94' W124 E220, 96' VW Golf VR6
Hi,
I'm thinking about getting a DVD burner for my PC...
However, are they capable of burning CDRs?
This is because I would like to burn CDs to listen to in my car (CD player only reads CDRs)...

Thanks,
Jeff

jeffreyli86 said:
Hi,
I'm thinking about getting a DVD burner for my PC...
However, are they capable of burning CDRs?
This is because I would like to burn CDs to listen to in my car (CD player only reads CDRs)...

Thanks,
Jeff

In a word yes!

Yep, in fact I can't think of any DVD burner that doesn't also write to CDR's and CD-RW's.

S.

Yep, although some of them still burn at speeds like 24x instead of 40+.

Are you going to go for a Dual Layer RW +/- one?

Cheers

Sparky

I have just replaced my CD rewriter with a DVD+-R/=-RW Drive by LITEON 16X and it is excellent. Double layer writing 8.5GB capacity. writes @ 16X DVD+R/12X DVD-R/4X DVD+R DL. :rock: :rock:

stick with the pioneer burners,by far the best on the market,the pirates use them so they must be good.did you know copying music and films is killing the industry"any poor popstars or movie mogules out there??"

Brian, how much did you pay, if you don't mine me asking mate?

Stupidly I bought one of the last LiteOn single layer jobs. Its a cracking little burner but of course limited to 4.5Gb.

PM me if you're shy.

Cheers,
Greg

I think most of the units (internal) are between £38 and £60 now depending on where you buy online.

GregE240 said:
Brian, how much did you pay, if you don't mine me asking mate?

Stupidly I bought one of the last LiteOn single layer jobs. Its a cracking little burner but of course limited to 4.5Gb.

PM me if you're shy.

Cheers,
Greg

Cannot answer that one it was a present from my son. :)

dvd

Could some more intelligent person please tell me what the difference is between a DVD+ and a DVD-, i am told that the minus one is better,my burner does both. Thanks Rob

Robert,

In theory once the discs are finalised there shouldn't be any difference. The differences are akin to (Betamax & VHS) - a poor example before I get shouted at...

My own experience is that finalised -Rs are more compatible with domestic players, also LG do a fine range of burners that read/write all formats including DVD-Ram (as used by Panasonic domestic recorders)

Mike

The DVD family would be incomplete without recordable versions. CD-Recordable discs were introduced in 1988 and CD-RW (the re-writable version) was introduced about 15 years after the first read-only CD was launched.

Both write-once and re-writable DVD discs have been developed and all are now available. There are several different formats all with a capacity of 4.7GB per side:

DVD-R discs are write-once discs with a capacity of 4.7GB per side. Two versions have been defined: DVD-R for Authoring and DVD-R for General use. Note that copy protected content cannot be written to DVD-R discs.
DVD-RAM discs are re-writable discs with a capacity of 4.7GB per side for computer data storage and archive applications, although this format is also used in some DVD video recorders.
DVD-RW discs are re-writable discs with a capacity of 4.7GB per side for consumer applications such as video recording.
DVD+RW and DVD+R discs are not officially part of the DVD family, but are similar to the corresponding DVD-RW and DVD-R for General formats.

Just to add to Brian's post, the DVD+R group have also recently introduced double layer blank media, aka. DVD+R DL These discs have a capacity of 9.4GB and function just like dual layered DVD video discs. The reason why alot of movies can pause slightly half way through a movie is due to the fact that the laser reader is refocusing from one layer to the next.

S.

Steve_Perry said:
The reason why alot of movies can pause slightly half way through a movie is due to the fact that the laser reader is refocusing from one layer to the next.
Now if only they could concentrate on putting that layer change in a completely black bit rather than right in the middle of something, or maybe during a scene that has no movement in it.

By amazing coincidence, I replaced my CD burner with a Liteon 16x. £42 from CCL Computers in Bradford. Does everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom