Dvd recorder?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

digisatman

Hi all,

Looking to purchase a new dvd recorder and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a good one please?

thanks,

Digi

Do you mean DVD? Or one that records onto a hard disk?

Get one with a good size of hard drive for day to day recording plus a DVD writer for the stuff you want to keep. Get one with at least some upscaling to HD ( will have a HDMI outlet port somewhere) Blueray recording stuff is still very expensive for now so probably rules that out. Depending on wether you have good digital reception and your change-over date from analogue transmission you want to make sure you still have an analogue/digital switcheable tuner onboard. Can't beat Sony or Panasonic IMHO but be aware that Panasonic used to use DVD Ram discs as their default medium tho they can record on DVD +R AND -R discs also. you may also want to check which DVD discs your computer DVD writer uses for compatibility.

Ditto the recommendation for Panasonic, they really are hard to beat for TV and DVD players and recorders.

The DMR-EX768EBK has a 160gb HDD plus 1080P upscalling and of course built in Freeview. You should be able to pick a new one up for around £200 - spend more and you get a bigger HDD. The older models which were mainly silver can be had for quite a bit less.

Good luck !

Ferg

I've been looking at this one but would also be interested in any recommendations:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0018PRXWE/?tag=amazon0e9db-21
Got the earlier version of this machine (860 not 890). It really is 1st rate. Had it about 18 months, recorded 100+ DVDs and filled the hard drive with stuff several times over.
It seemed that the machine had gone faulty when it was still quite new - it kept shutting itself down. It turned out that every machine of the same model in the country was doing the same thing due to an external faulty software 'upgrade'. (The machine takes in software upgrades from Sony at night via the freeview!). Solution - take in a revised upgrade then reset the options to block any further automatic downloads.
Anyway, there we are, I cannot praise this machine enough.

Panasonic gets my vote too had one for 4 years 160 Gb hard drive can write + or - format top class bit of kit.

I have the Sony, great piece of kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom