DVLA Again!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John N

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Peterborough. - (Scot on Permanent Tour!)
Car
GLB 220D 4Matic P+
Does the "D" in DVLA stand for "Deviant"?

Received a reminder this morning telling me my Driving Licence is due renewal as of 07/06/2024, I can either do it all online for £14, or at a Post Office for £21.50!

Opted for the online route, but noticed a link for "If you are over 70, it's free!

I am 70 on the 25 July, so I can apply for the renewal free, if I do so within 90 Days of 25 July!:rolleyes:

So in theory, I could have applied and paid, and would have to apply again for free when I reach 70!:oops:

Poser: The over 70 Licence cannot keep the Category D allowing you can drive any bus or coach with more than 8 passenger seats, what would have happened if I had paid for the 10 Year Licence? :confused:

I understand that you can keep C1 and D1 over the age of 70, but not if you apply online. Is this because there’s medical screening required?

I didn’t bother, but made sure that I retained my Motorcyle groups - I had heard of these being inadvertently lost…

Poser: The over 70 Licence cannot keep the Category D allowing you can drive any bus or coach with more than 8 passenger seats, what would have happened if I had paid for the 10 Year Licence? :confused:
If you go for the free renewal for the over 70 licence, you will lose the C1 and D1 groups with effect from the date of issue of the licence, which will presumably be before your 70th. Pay for the 10 year licence, and the only benefit you get is keeping those groups until your birthday.

I understand that you can keep C1 and D1 over the age of 70, but not if you apply online. Is this because there’s medical screening required?

I didn’t bother, but made sure that I retained my Motorcyle groups - I had heard of these being inadvertently lost…
I too have heard of motorcycle groups 'disappearing' , but at the same time an acquaintance of mine had motorcycle licences added to his despite never having ridden a motorcycle in his life !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom