DVLA and private plates;- new process

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Fixit

Car
2012 SLK55 AMG
hought I'd share the recent experience with the DVLA and update you if you have a plate and want to sell you car, mainly because the DVLA don’t seem to know what’s going on and the forms have different guidance to what is actually required/happening.

I had to go to the DVLA Chelmsford and ask them.

Clearly the best thing to do is take the plate off the car;- fill in the V311 and get it transferred to a certificate ( cost £100+ ), this normally takes 14 days min however if you go to the DVLA office and speak nicely to them they will do this at the office and you will get a new MOT, new tax disc within 7 days.
At this point you will then have the reassigned VRM and you can sell the car with some mutual trust between buyer and seller (as the V5 is not proof of ownership) and I suggest supporting this with a sales receipt like off the interweb!

I recently did this and as soon as it arrived it was filled in and sent straight back to the DVLA with the new keepers section (10/C) sent to the new owner.

You will not get the V5 for about 10-14 days as this comes from Cardiff

A word of caution here as the DVLA can request an inspection;- they check the history wrt tax , sorn insurance and cat D/C etc and base the need for the inspection on this, you may also not get the original number (unlikely) because the category is assigned to both the plate and the VIN unless you request that it is only assigned to the VIN when you stuff your car!!

All well and good but beware they are closing the DVLA offices as there are loop hole to stop cat D and C cars having reg changes. Consequently from now (or October in Chelmsford case) all and any reg changes are done on line and from Cardiff slowing the process down enormously as the reg change can take at least 14 days and then the V5 more time before you get the V5 with the new VRM so you cannot/should not sell the car on the same basis as above!!

Just thought y’all might like to know!!

All private plate retentions end up at Swansea, all you save by going to your local DVLA office is the postage stamp it costs to send it there.

Just put your plate on retention 1-2 months before selling and the whole process is simple and pain free in my experience.

It takes forever now... 3-4 weeks for a car to car transfer recently.

Service really gone down hill.

Went down to my local DVLA in Bournemouth today and was told within 2 weeks for car to car transfer.

This is one of life's greatest mysteries... why does it take '2-3 weeks'? Surely the actual work involved is about an hour or so?

I often wondered why 2nd Class post takes one more day to deliver than 1st Class post. What advantage does the Royal mail derive from leaving your letter in their local sorting office for another day? I can understand that airmail travels faster than surface mail. But when I send a letter, it travels exactly the same distance, and taken by exactly the same type of van. So how does keeping your letter for an additional day help the Royal Mail in any way? How does it make it cheaper for them to deliver? The fuel and the manpower cost the same...

Similarly, when purchasing from Amazon... there's '3-5 working days', and there's 'next day'. But then they tell you the parcel has been dispatched on the same day.... and it travels to you over '3-5 days'. Why is it cheaper if your parcel alights on various locations along the route before reaching you?

Oh well... rant over :)

This is one of life's greatest mysteries... why does it take '2-3 weeks'? Surely the actual work involved is about an hour or so?

I often wondered why 2nd Class post takes one more day to deliver than 1st Class post. What advantage does the Royal mail derive from leaving your letter in their local sorting office for another day? I can understand that airmail travels faster than surface mail. But when I send a letter, it travels exactly the same distance, and taken by exactly the same type of van. So how does keeping your letter for an additional day help the Royal Mail in any way? How does it make it cheaper for them to deliver? The fuel and the manpower cost the same...

Similarly, when purchasing from Amazon... there's '3-5 working days', and there's 'next day'. But then they tell you the parcel has been dispatched on the same day.... and it travels to you over '3-5 days'. Why is it cheaper if your parcel alights on various locations along the route before reaching you?

Oh well... rant over :)

because next time you use first class or next day....

Tony.

I had a job on recently... but was all sorted and plate / forms back in around 3 weeks

1) My E class I sold had address at old house so needed new V5
2) Had to wait for V5 to come back
3) Sold car but still had my plate on.
4) Had to transfer plate onto ML I bought that had just gone through a reg transfer
5) Both ML and E class needed taxing
6) New owner of my E class came with to transfer plate to E class.

All in all given the combination of things we needed to do I thought it all worked very well. I had paper work coming out of my ears. However all sorted.

From start to finish the plate transfers / tax disc took 3 weeks.

The v5 took about the same.

On a couple of occasions they did it there and then and it was first thing in the morning. It is just simple to press a few buttons,redo tax disc and print off new mot, takes no more than 5 mins then send log book to Swansea to print new log book and on your doorstep in 2-3 weeks max.

Took the chap this morning to print new tax disc as mine runs out end of the month in under a minute. There were only two other people waiting so he could easily printed mot and I would of had my plates on the car today. mad.

Last edited:
^ I'm pretty sure the do it there and then is a thing of the past certainly in the Chester branch

All have to be send to Swansea.

I've done it in a few minutes before now that way, arrive at 8.45 1st in line, take your ticket and out by 9.10am :)

No more though

I've just done a plate transfer and the new MOT slip+Tax disc was back with me in 10 days and the Reg Doc the day after.

Sadly the days of popping down to your local DVLA office are numbered as they are all being closed down next year to save money.

It amuses me that in this day and age, we expect changes in our commercial relationships with suppliers eg phone, gas.... to take effect immediately, yet are willing to put up with a government service like DVLA which takes ages to process ***paper***. It ought to be entirely electronic and instantaneous. If VED, insurance and V5C data can be made available to ANPR police, why for instance can't this all be done over the internet instantaneously. Why do we need VED on the windscreen anyway these days? The basic ANPR data ought to be available to everyone over the internet via app anyway. If you have an accident simply take a picture of the other car and the app processes the data to provide relevant details. I don't get the privacy angle as, for instance, you can do stuff like land searches to find out who owns property and you pay for the priviledge. It could be so easy...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom