DVLA Demanding Information

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I can confirm the vendor is registerd with the DVLA as he and I do a lot of business together so plates are perfectly legal and displayed according to the rules and regulations so that is not an issue

You should be OK then. :)

And you have two members views...

Perhaps you plates have been reported as not conforming and the DVLA are trying to discover who is make non-conforming plates?

Perhaps they don't wish to stress you buy having you worry you might be breaking the law.

Perhaps they don't want to alert the vendor they are investigating them.

Perhaps

Perhaps

Perhaps just tell them and be done with it?

Perhaps when I'm sure of my legal obligations I'll tell them to shove their letter where the :) don't shine?

Are they registered with the DVLA. If so they already know the vendor, but as you said they didn't know then I assume they aren't registered.

Voilla..the reason for the enquiry.

Yes they are registered I even know their registration number but the DVLA do not Know I bought plates from them

Its a routine thing.. they are clamping down on suppliers... i got a letter this week reminding me of my duties as a registered supplier of number plates.

Dont worry.. send it if you want, if not doesnt matter, they are not gonna come knocking at the door..

p.s. this is all in response to a tv programme that mede it clear how easy it is to clone vehicles and/or use fake plates to get past anpr and the CC...

Surely the DVLA will know the previous owner by virtue of the previous holder of the retention certificate?

Yes they are registered I even know their registration number but the DVLA do not Know I bought plates from them

I meant have the plates been registered with the DVLA.? They have to tie the manufacture of the plates upto a V5 documant number when making them.

There is a reason why they are asking.

its the age old thing of if you have a car then you have an income, if you have an income then the government want most of it

simple soultion email them and say yu bought the plates at a car show/event and you cant remember the name of the seller or where it was as you goto lots

they are just looking for a way to fine you

your plate might have been reportd or picked up as not uk standard

ive been pulled twice in 10 days for mine so am changing them back to normal

thing that annoys me is mine are 100% legal if my car was pre 1973, when they stopped me in the 5 mins we talked for 3 cars went by with the incorrect type face and 1 had put the 1 and 7 next to each other to make an N

obviously all crime in london has been solved so they are now cracking down on the little things

I meant have the plates been registered with the DVLA.? They have to tie the manufacture of the plates upto a V5 documant number when making them.

There is a reason why they are asking.

Not sure what you mean are you saying every time a number plate supplier makes up a set of plates he has to inform the DVLA? As this is not the case so not sure what you mean

its the age old thing of if you have a car then you have an income, if you have an income then the government want most of it

simple soultion email them and say yu bought the plates at a car show/event and you cant remember the name of the seller or where it was as you goto lots

they are just looking for a way to fine you

your plate might have been reportd or picked up as not uk standard

ive been pulled twice in 10 days for mine so am changing them back to normal

thing that annoys me is mine are 100% legal if my car was pre 1973, when they stopped me in the 5 mins we talked for 3 cars went by with the incorrect type face and 1 had put the 1 and 7 next to each other to make an N

obviously all crime in london has been solved so they are now cracking down on the little things
Sounds like

Sour%20Grapes.jpg

Last edited:
in the letter to me they said that they could come in and inspect my records at any time!
very threatening..

however as im only really supply to me i dont see the issue.

my number plate machine automatically keeps a log of all plates made and so can be proven that plates were manufactured in accordance with the law.

Not sure what you mean are you saying every time a number plate supplier makes up a set of plates he has to inform the DVLA? As this is not the case so not sure what you mean

When the plates are made I understood the V5 number is recorded against the plate number on system.
Maybe not, but if not why do you have to provide it.?

When the plates are made I understood the V5 number is recorded against the plate number on system.
Maybe not, but if not why do you have to provide it.?

Never ever had to produce a V5 when getting number plates made, and that includes my 2 other cars. I know you are supposed to but it doesn,t happen in reality unless you go to Halfords or one of the majors. If you are dealing business to business you trust one another hence my reluctance to provide the information to the DVLA on someone we do a lot of business with.

Correct. I switched my last Merc from a private plate to a regular mark and got the plates 'cash' from an official local supplier. So they certainly weren't written down anywhere.

You are supposed to present the V5 and they are supposed to record the document number. Maybe this is why the DVLA have their query.

Effectively without the record your plates have been supplied illegaly.

I'm with Flanaia on this - the right to privacy in this country has been heavily compromised in the last decade, and this is yet one more example of government control-freakery. On principle I would not give them the info unless legally obliged to do so. I don't think it is the right or role of government to enquire where I make every small purchase, and I don't think this sort of process is making a proportionate contribution to crime control. But it helps Gordon to sleep if he thinks his state minions know everything about us:mad: (sorry - is that political and therefore liable to get me banned:D )

Correct. I switched my last Merc from a private plate to a regular mark and got the plates 'cash' from an official local supplier. So they certainly weren't written down anywhere.

Were they supplied as road legal plates or show plates, or simply unspecified.?

If you have a good working relationship with the vendor why not give him a call and tell him you have received the letter....take it from there...:cool:

Were they supplied as road legal plates or show plates, or simply unspecified.?

Mine supplied as road legal. I'll check on the legality of my plate when I get back as my next door neighbour is a senior traffic cop, will also show him the letter, but in researching the statutes I cannot find any legal obligation that requires me to provide this information. I will bow to my colleagues superior knowledge on the subject on my return to the office if he thinks different. Will post what they both say as soon as I hear back

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom