DVLA Demanding Information

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Here is what one needs to do to have plates made up. Your supplier is supposed to conform to these rules as part of their license to sell plates. In your case they are obviously breaching the rules.
You mention that you have used them a lot to supply plates. presumably they aren't all for your own use so you have been selling (?) them on. That makes you a supplier. Are you registered.? If not you may well be getting a visit once all the people you have supplied receive their letter.

What will I have to do?
To have your number plate made up you will need to go to a registered supplier taking with you proof of entitlement to the mark which could be one of the following:

Vehicle Registration Document (V5).

Certificate of Entitlement to a mark (V750).

Cherished Transfer Retention Document (V778).

Vehicle Licence Renewal (V11).

Authorisation slip from DVLA local office with official DVLA stamp. This will apply when DVLA authorises a customer to buy plates bearing a particular registration mark, e.g. when applying to assign the mark to a vehicle but before you have had the plates made up. If you are applying by post the authorisation slip will be sent to you. This will also apply in the case of a cherished transfer.

Certificate of Vehicle Registration (V379).

Vehicle Export Certificate.

A letter of authority from fleet operators on company headed notepaper with contact details.

You will also need to provide proof of your personal details which could be :

A current photocard driving licence (preferred) or

Bank/building society statement or a recent utility bill with one of the following :

Current paper driving licence.
Passport.

Credit/debit card with photograph.

Travel pass card with photograph.

Foreign national identity card.

Bought as a gift
If you have bought a number as a gift or are having the plates made up for someone else and have no entitlement to the mark then the proof of personal details should be yours. Proof of personal details should be the actual person who is going to have the plates made up. If you have ordered a new vehicle Simply provide your motor dealer with the appropriate proof of entitlement and they will make up the plates for you as they already hold your vehicle details

Last edited:
Personally, I would just ignore the letter. That's the best way to deal with bureaucracy, as long as you are in the right. I doubt they would bother to follow up unless you rile them.

Here are some good excuses if they do follow up:

"Yeah, I was going to do that but I went on holiday and forgot all about it."

"I thought it was just one of those scams, so I shredded it."

If you have a good working relationship with the vendor why not give him a call and tell him you have received the letter....take it from there...:cool:

already have and he has nothing to hide all legal and above board, point is why should I have to provide this information at my expense? It's a matter of principle and invasion of privacy. If I am not legally obliged to provide it they are not getting it. $64,000 question is do I legally have to provide it?

Here is what one needs to do to have plates made up. Your supplier is supposed to conform to these rules as part of their license to sell plates. In your case they are obviously breaching the rules.
You mention that you have used them a lot to supply plates. presumably they aren't all for your own use so you have been selling (?) them on. That makes you a supplier. Are you registered.? If not you may well be getting a visit once all the people you have supplied receive their letter.

What will I have to do?
To have your number plate made up you will need to go to a registered supplier taking with you proof of entitlement to the mark which could be one of the following:

Vehicle Registration Document (V5).

Certificate of Entitlement to a mark (V750).

Cherished Transfer Retention Document (V778).

Vehicle Licence Renewal (V11).

Authorisation slip from DVLA local office with official DVLA stamp. This will apply when DVLA authorises a customer to buy plates bearing a particular registration mark, e.g. when applying to assign the mark to a vehicle but before you have had the plates made up. If you are applying by post the authorisation slip will be sent to you. This will also apply in the case of a cherished transfer.

Certificate of Vehicle Registration (V379).

Vehicle Export Certificate.

A letter of authority from fleet operators on company headed notepaper with contact details.

You will also need to provide proof of your personal details which could be :

A current photocard driving licence (preferred) or

Bank/building society statement or a recent utility bill with one of the following :

Current paper driving licence.
Passport.

Credit/debit card with photograph.

Travel pass card with photograph.

Foreign national identity card.

Bought as a gift
If you have bought a number as a gift or are having the plates made up for someone else and have no entitlement to the mark then the proof of personal details should be yours. Proof of personal details should be the actual person who is going to have the plates made up. If you have ordered a new vehicle Simply provide your motor dealer with the appropriate proof of entitlement and they will make up the plates for you as they already hold your vehicle details

I never said I use them a lot to supply plates I said we do a lot of business with them, that is totally different the number of plates we have had in the last 5 years can be counted on one hand, also the above is not true or is covered by the last gift paragraph, as he has my personal details but does not have to give them to the DVLA. what if a garage repairs someone elses car and needs a new number plate, do you think they go to the supplier with the customers V5?

Its a load of tosh IMO, the DVLA being a PITA again, do they have nothing better to do....

To stop cloning and illegal lettering, they will have to do a lot more than clamp down on suppliers. At the end of the day, if the customer signs to say they are buying show plates, they can buy whatever they heck they like...

they have got it completely **** about tit as usual..

what if a garage repairs someone elses car and needs a new number plate, do you think they go to the supplier with the customers V5?

They don't need to, they have the vehicle complete with the VIN. That is effectively covered in the last paragraph.
If you have ordered a new vehicle Simply provide your motor dealer with the appropriate proof of entitlement and they will make up the plates for you as they already hold your vehicle details.

In your case the supplier doesn't have either your car, V5 or maybe even verified accurate personal details.
If that is the case they have broken the terms of their licence to sell plates.

Its a load of tosh IMO, the DVLA being a PITA again, do they have nothing better to do....

To stop cloning and illegal lettering, they will have to do a lot more than clamp down on suppliers. At the end of the day, if the customer signs to say they are buying show plates, they can buy whatever they heck they like...

couldn't agree more pity they have nothing better to spend there time on. They should direct their efforts toward stopping cloning but harassing suppliers and customers is definitely not the answer!!!

The vendor can't have registered them otherwise the DVLA wouldn't be asking. Therefore they are illegal plates and can be withdrawn from use.
How do they know that any plates have been made up at all and are companies expected to report to DVLA every time they produce a plate?

Jay.
Would you be prepared to supply road legal plates to someone without any corroborating evidence of either their entitlement to the plate or verified vehicle or personal dettails.?
These aren't show plates.

no they are not, suppliers are just required to keep records such as V5 numbers etc for any plates sold to RETAIL customers.

Any sold to the trade or any sold as show plates you can sell to anyone with very little info needed.

So if the DVLA then suspect anything, they will go and "raid" the supplier...

Jay.
Would you be prepared to supply road legal plates to someone without any corroborating evidence of either their entitlement to the plate or verified vehicle or personal dettails.?
These aren't show plates.

not anymore (due to fines involved) unless it was a trade customer (see my last post) or the car was seen here... e.g. here for an MOT or something.

P.S. Infact a club member contacted me earlier this week to make them a set and i refused for that very reason..

How do they know that any plates have been made up at all and are companies expected to report to DVLA every time they produce a plate?

I believe they are meant to update the records accordingly.
Presumably the car has been taxed under this number and maybe picked up on ANPR.

Let's see what Jay says.

They don't need to, they have the vehicle complete with the VIN. That is effectively covered in the last paragraph.
If you have ordered a new vehicle Simply provide your motor dealer with the appropriate proof of entitlement and they will make up the plates for you as they already hold your vehicle details.

In your case the supplier doesn't have either your car, V5 or maybe even verified accurate personal details.
If that is the case they have broken the terms of their licence to sell plates.

That applies to new cars only , for example a garage repairs a front end smash on a 1998 whatever, he rings his supplier asking for number plate R2.. XYZ supplier makes and delivers plate with know knowledge of VIN or V5, plate is booked out against repairing company, perfectly legal so no breach of license

not anymore (due to fines involved) unless it was a trade customer (see my last post) or the car was seen here... e.g. here for an MOT or something.

P.S. Infact a club member contacted me earlier this week to make them a set and i refused for that very reason..

That's as I understood it to be.
The supplier has a legal requirement to physically check the documents and entitlement to ownership of the number.
This was put in place to stop number plate cloning and misrepresneted numbers being easy.

In the cases mentioned by flanaia1 and v8mate the supplier is failing to do that, clearly in breach of their licence to make up numberplates.
I suspect flanaia1 knows this so is resisting saying where the plates came from.

Note the word RETAIL in Jay's post if they are sold business to business i.e. into the trade then most of what has been said does not apply and the information the vendor needs he already has

That applies to new cars only , for example a garage repairs a front end smash on a 1998 whatever, he rings his supplier asking for number plate R2.. XYZ supplier makes and delivers plate with know knowledge of VIN or V5, plate is booked out against repairing company, perfectly legal so no breach of license

As said before, the vehicle complete with VIN, is under the repairers control.

yes but the letter is not likely to be due to the dvla somehow knowing that its illegal, its going to be part of some larger mass survey... maybe sending out to anyone that has had a change in reg number in the last year or so...

That's as I understood it to be.
The supplier has a legal requirement to physically check the documents and entitlement to ownership of the number.
This was put in place to stop number plate cloning and misrepresneted numbers being easy.

In the cases mentioned by flanaia1 and v8mate the supplier is failing to do that, clearly in breach of their licence to make up numberplates.
I suspect flanaia1 knows this so is resisting saying where the plates came from.

No at all he has all the information he needs to make a trade sale and does not need to check the documents so is not in breach ,anyway we are going OT the question is am I legally obliged to supply the information?

Note the word RETAIL in Jay's post if they are sold business to business i.e. into the trade then most of what has been said does not apply and the information the vendor needs he already has

Are you a registered number plate or car dealer, who is meant to be keeping records of all number plate transactions.?

If not then you are retail, even if you buy the plates through your business.

does it say on the letter that you are? if not throw it in the bin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom