DVLA Demanding Information

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I will also check with my next door neighbour traffic cop on the legality of my plates
Why do you need to ask? :confused:

John

thats the bit that does it for me, Not demand!

seems a mountain has grown out of a molehill here.

Yes, but when my firearms certificate expired (purely an oversight) I received a letter that "requested" me to attend Five-Lane-Ends police station. The "request" being an implied demand.

A shame really; I loved the smell of that M16; there's nothing quite like that my son especially in the mornings.

Portzy.

So it's best to inconvenience everyone on the off chance that most of the general public wishing to replace number plates are crooks?

Fact, crooks will always be able to get hold of plates, lame laws or not.

Perhaps I have read this thread wrongly but I understood that there had perhaps been an anomoly in the process for the OP's purchase of plates that had kicked off this enquiry:confused:

frankly the less the DVLA and any government agency know about me, the better.
Soon when all the DNA is clandestinely stored, anyone can be planted and used to convict you of a murder you did not do and bang you up for 9 years to be released and told sorry mate. the newsreader was popular

As long as the OP has done all and complied with all legal requirements then they can get stuffed.

Thread hi-jack, but why do 6 roads end there?:D

Rumour has it, but I cannot confirm it, that maybe Wrose Road was constructed after the others (which were still lanes) and the junction was given its name "Five-Lane-Ends" before that time.

Portzy.

EDIT: Almost correct, in fact it was Swain House Road which was cosntructed in the late 40's, and not Wrose Road.

Last edited:
hahahahhahahaha

i'd love to see a plant of myself !! :D he'd probably be an ugly oak tree :p

Nah but really, i know what you mean, it is getting scary how much the government wants to know about all of us... But in this case it does no harm for him to respond to the DVLA, since it is very well under their authority.

I Agree

My main problems ar

Time Why should I waste my time writing to them?
Money It would cost me to contact them by letter or phone not a lot I admit but if they want the info then they should pay.
Invasion of Privacy why should I tell them where I spend my Money?
I totally agree, everyone is policing everyone, Its not correct. If it does not say you have too, or if you dont you will be fined i would not tell them. This is getting worse. Its not so much the issue of if they want you to tell them give us a free phone number.

Always pays to seek professional advice

Well I'm back in the office and not with good news, I did not get the result I expected. Firstly let me deal with the legal position on the letter from the DVLA. They apparently have every right to send me this and request the information within 21 days, what's more I AM legally obliged to comply with their request, If I do not then the matter gets referred to the relevant police force for further investigation. The lawyer I met said this letter had been generated as the result of a complaint or enquiry to the DVLA probably by VOSA, Highways Agency, ANPR or CCTV and was not a letter sent at random.

Then I found out why we think this is so, on showing him photo's of my CLK he pointed out that my number plate was actually illegal "at which I went ballistic" when I had calmed down he pointed out my school boy error which I show below.
GB1.jpg
Left hand side of the number plate on my Subaru Work Wagon

UK1.jpg
Left hand side of the number plate on my CLK

I had never spotted that the letters were UK and not GB although this opened up a whole new discussion on this subject which I will share with you. Some years ago the residents of Northern Ireland complained that GB did not include them Great Britain is a geographical representation, whilst UK is a political entity. We are subscribed to the EU as the UK so why represent us as GB? Well they initiated the change and if you look at your driving license it has the EU flag and UK however before the number plate issue could be resolved government departments were reorganised and we got left with UK on our licenses and GB as the plate identifier and no one has picked it up since.

This means that GB is still the official identifier and UK is in fact illegal.

That a side I am now faced with 2 actions to reply to the letter from the DVLA giving them the information requested which I will do by letter and to change the number plates on my CLK to legal ones, which I am sure my supplier will do free of charge when I point out the error of his ways.

I thank you all for all your comments and advice but just goes to show I was adamant that I was in the right until a fresh pair of eyes reviewed the facts.

best regards
Ian

Last edited:
I hate 0870 numbers with a vengeance and might understand anyone's aversion to using them, ......
John

Actually there is one thing I hate more than 0870 numbers - and that is when requesting the "standard" number and being told there isn't one - all 0870 numbers are piggy backed over a geographical number :mad: :mad:

Mike

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/leaflets/inf104.pdf

this is where you fell foul.
UK ,EU,GB and you wonder why drivers get mad. How much resources has gone onto that now? Your supplier will probably get a hefty fine now. well great policing .Pity other forms of law breaking are not enforced so rapidly

Last edited:
Actually there is one thing I hate more than 0870 numbers - and that is when requesting the "standard" number and being told there isn't one - all 0870 numbers are piggy backed over a geographical number :mad: :mad:

Mike

What i hate more than dialling is the inevitable revenue generating queue.

I thank you all for all your comments and advice but just goes to show I was adamant that I was in the right until a fresh pair of eyes reviewed the facts.

best regards
Ian
Hi Ian,
Is there any chance of seeing some pictures of your number plates please?

Blank off a few numbers if you like but I am curious as to what they look like.

From my previous post you can guess I suspected the plates were not fully compliant, but the reasons you are giving appear very petty and although some folks are blaming the DVLA, I think they are wrong............ The DVLA is simply the messenger and I suspect you have been reported to them by a third party.

If the DVLA failed to act then are they being negligent?

I take it your supplier told you these plates were 100% street legal when you ordered them? I ask this because they have a responsibility to advise customers on the legality of the plate and they should have told you what was permissable.

John

Hi Ian,
Is there any chance of seeing some pictures of your number plates please?

Blank off a few numbers if you like but I am curious as to what they look like.

From my previous post you can guess I suspected the plates were not fully compliant, but the reasons you are giving appear very petty and although some folks are blaming the DVLA, I think they are wrong............ The DVLA is simply the messenger and I suspect you have been reported to them by a third party.

If the DVLA failed to act then are they being negligent?

I take it your supplier told you these plates were 100% street legal when you ordered them? I ask this because they have a responsibility to advise customers on the legality of the plate and they should have told you what was permissable.

John

Hi John I was told that the non conforming plates were probably picked up on a VOSA check where you drive past their cameras which are now frequenting our roads more and more often. They then report this to the DVLA and hence the letter. I agree if they did fail to act they would be negligent and now I have had my schoolboy error pointed out to me I'll get them swapped.

The supplier did not really say if they were road legal I called and told him I wanted a set of road legal plates and the registration which his delivery van duly delivered, I was so impressed by the quality of the plates I missed this error completely.

There are some photo's of my car in the gallery under "detailed the CLK this weekend" you can see the number plate with the numbers obscured there, the numbers and letters are perfect and to the letter of the law it's just the GB / UK Issue

Thanks Ian

I think he wants photos of the plates not the car.
for me this is trivial. A simple letter saying change your letters to GB will be enough. How many times do we hear reports saying we cannot go after that, its too trivial .
seems car owners always feel the full force.

Last edited:
I think he wants photos of the plates not the car
Yes but obviously I don't want all the nitty gritty. I did see the pictures of Ian's very nice CLK but the plates have understandably been completely obscured.

I wonder if 'Big Brother' read another of flanaia's posts? I do note his remarks do not refer to the CLK;)

Totally agree if it's legible the MOT guy would have to be pretty **** to fail it. I like you have slightly modded plates (closed spacing) on my Subaru and Puma both have never failed an MOT. Oh and speaking from a being stopped point of view if you want a tip on how to avoid the £30 ticket should you be unlucky enough to be stopped, make sure your modded plates are screwed on and get a second set of cheap leagal ones made to keep in the boot, make sure the legal ones are drilled to match the holes on the modded plate, should you get stopped you can use the " sorry officer I have left my show plates on by mistake I will change them Immediately for you" and show them the legal plates, works every time, they will tell you they can't be read by ANPR cameras which is rubbish as I have checked mine with some friends who work on traffic, not that I condone misrepresentation of number plates but a little tweak with perfectly legible numbers as above works for me and if you are that concerned you can always put the cheap leagal plates on for the MOT 2 mins work

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom