DVLA Demanding Information

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Portzy is spot on. It's the pretense of doing something about an issue when all they're really doing is causing hassle to people who tend to comply with the system.

If you want dodgy plates it's so easy to get them. Do as Portzy says or just spend a few minutes with Google and you'll find plenty of places to provide just about any plate you want, all you need is a credit card.

If you want dodgy plates its easy. 1 x computer, 1x printer, some paper and clingfilm. Quick to do, easy to change. Can't see how the DVLA can stop that.

The problem is the incentive to clone plates is increasing, so those that don't care about the laws will keep doing it and getting away with it, as the camere is easily fooled by a valid false plate.

If you want dodgy plates its easy. 1 x computer, 1x printer, some paper and clingfilm. Quick to do, easy to change. Can't see how the DVLA can stop that.

The problem is the incentive to clone plates is increasing, so those that don't care about the laws will keep doing it and getting away with it, as the camere is easily fooled by a valid false plate.
Totally agree and it is the more law abiding transgressor that will get punished.

Regards
John

so those that don't care about the laws will keep doing it and getting away with it, as the camere is easily fooled by a valid false plate.

Comply with all the laws regarding vehicle registration and overstep some arbitrary speed limt or forget to renew your VED and the law will show no mercy.

Of course if you fail to register your car or register it to an incorrect address you can drive around uninsured, ignore speed limits, without a licence, forget to pay VED your chances of being caught are not very high and if you do get caught the penalty will be laughably lenient.

Easy to chase the law abiding, tax paying majority. Too difficult for our law makers and legislators to come up with systems and enforcements that actually address the real issues.

Credit card fraud? police not interested. Shop lifting? Lots of warnings. 36 in a 30? £60 and 3 points, no warnings. GB and UK mixed up on an otherwise legit plate, lets get to the bottom of this one!

I had never spotted that the letters were UK and not GB although this opened up a whole new discussion on this subject which I will share with you. Some years ago the residents of Northern Ireland complained that GB did not include them Great Britain is a geographical representation, whilst UK is a political entity. We are subscribed to the EU as the UK so why represent us as GB? Well they initiated the change and if you look at your driving license it has the EU flag and UK however before the number plate issue could be resolved government departments were reorganised and we got left with UK on our licenses and GB as the plate identifier and no one has picked it up since.

This means that GB is still the official identifier and UK is in fact illegal.

Don't blame the EU. Vehicle country codes are maintained by the UN since 1949. The government of the day was presumably happy to adopt "GB" as this country's code, possibly to appease the French for whom it has the same meaning. Since then, country codes have been standardised by the ISO and adopted world-wide, including by the UN.

GB is the ISO 3166-1 code for the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Bigger countries do have some clout at the ISO and our government managed to reserve the "UK" code for possible future use.

The EU is actually a bit more relaxed and has allowed this country to use "UK" in some cases (and the Greeks to use "EL"). As a further concession, the EU has approved alternative vehicle country codes for each separate country in the UK, and these can be used instead of "GB" on number plates. The alternative codes are "CYM", "ENG", "NIR" and "SCO" (as I recall). These codes have not been officially adopted by the UN.

On a more philosophical note, GB is a perfectly valid abbreviation for the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland because "Great Britain" is the most significant part of the name. Many countries have long names with "United" or "Kingdom" in them, but these words are usually ignored. A more accurate abbreviation would be GBNI or UKGBNI, but they are both too long (maximum of three letters).

Finally, "UK" is usually taken to include the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands and therefore "GB" is often preferred when one does not want to include them (such as with VAT).

Well I'm back in the office and not with good news, I did not get the result I expected. Firstly let me deal with the legal position on the letter from the DVLA. They apparently have every right to send me this and request the information within 21 days, what's more I AM legally obliged to comply with their request, If I do not then the matter gets referred to the relevant police force for further investigation. The lawyer I met said this letter had been generated as the result of a complaint or enquiry to the DVLA probably by VOSA, Highways Agency, ANPR or CCTV and was not a letter sent at random.

Then I found out why we think this is so, on showing him photo's of my CLK he pointed out that my number plate was actually illegal "at which I went ballistic" when I had calmed down he pointed out my school boy error which I show below.
GB1.jpg
Left hand side of the number plate on my Subaru Work Wagon

UK1.jpg
Left hand side of the number plate on my CLK

I had never spotted that the letters were UK and not GB although this opened up a whole new discussion on this subject which I will share with you. Some years ago the residents of Northern Ireland complained that GB did not include them Great Britain is a geographical representation, whilst UK is a political entity. We are subscribed to the EU as the UK so why represent us as GB? Well they initiated the change and if you look at your driving license it has the EU flag and UK however before the number plate issue could be resolved government departments were reorganised and we got left with UK on our licenses and GB as the plate identifier and no one has picked it up since.

This means that GB is still the official identifier and UK is in fact illegal.

That a side I am now faced with 2 actions to reply to the letter from the DVLA giving them the information requested which I will do by letter and to change the number plates on my CLK to legal ones, which I am sure my supplier will do free of charge when I point out the error of his ways.

I thank you all for all your comments and advice but just goes to show I was adamant that I was in the right until a fresh pair of eyes reviewed the facts.

best regards
Ian

Incredible. I will sleep sounder in my bed tonight, knowing that the country's guardians have the time and resources to chase up minute infractions of the law such as this, whilst stabbings and murders are so common that they scarcely make the news these days..

Last one out turn out the lights.

Gaz

Incredible. I will sleep sounder in my bed tonight, knowing that the country's guardians have the time and resources to chase up minute infractions of the law such as this, whilst stabbings and murders are so common that they scarcely make the news these days..

Last one out turn out the lights.

Gaz

Yawn....that regurgitated crap again!

Oh, me sides are a splittin....

Are the DVLA now responsible for catching villains associated with stabbings and murders.? It's just they certainly weren't last I knew.

If flanaia1 had told us from the outset that he was displaying illegal plates then we wouldn't have had this protracted discussion.
The question was asked fairly early on.

The DVLA wants to check why a registered supplier is selling illegal plates for road use. That IS their job.
Does flanaia1 know this and is this why he doesn't want to tell them.?

I would expect a whole host of questions to be asked and records looked into now at the suppliers...

Yes but obviously I don't want all the nitty gritty. I did see the pictures of Ian's very nice CLK but the plates have understandably been completely obscured.

I wonder if 'Big Brother' read another of flanaia's posts? I do note his remarks do not refer to the CLK;)

very good point John, I admit my Subaru and Puma do have modded pates but both can be ANPR read so it is frustrating the one I thought was legal is not. Maybe it's time to just play the game and switch them to back If i had been caught with the Subaru or Puma I would have just held my hand up as that is the risk I am taking,however neither of those cars are registered to me personally

Don't blame the EU. Vehicle country codes are maintained by the UN since 1949. The government of the day was presumably happy to adopt "GB" as this country's code, possibly to appease the French for whom it has the same meaning. Since then, country codes have been standardised by the ISO and adopted world-wide, including by the UN.

GB is the ISO 3166-1 code for the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Bigger countries do have some clout at the ISO and our government managed to reserve the "UK" code for possible future use.

The EU is actually a bit more relaxed and has allowed this country to use "UK" in some cases (and the Greeks to use "EL"). As a further concession, the EU has approved alternative vehicle country codes for each separate country in the UK, and these can be used instead of "GB" on number plates. The alternative codes are "CYM", "ENG", "NIR" and "SCO" (as I recall). These codes have not been officially adopted by the UN.

On a more philosophical note, GB is a perfectly valid abbreviation for the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland because "Great Britain" is the most significant part of the name. Many countries have long names with "United" or "Kingdom" in them, but these words are usually ignored. A more accurate abbreviation would be GBNI or UKGBNI, but they are both too long (maximum of three letters).

Finally, "UK" is usually taken to include the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands and therefore "GB" is often preferred when one does not want to include them (such as with VAT).

Sorry to disagree but in the strict letter of the law GB covers England Scotland and Wales and not Northern Ireland Isle of man or Channel islands. The isle of man is not nor has never been part of Great Britain same wiht the channel islands note the word GREAT

Whilst Cym and Sco are legal NIR and Eng are not these are not recognised by the EU. The EU does not allow the UK to use UK on registration plates under no circumstances, none of these codes have been adopted by the UN (Eng & NIR)

GB is only the ISO code for certain categories for example chemicals in transit shipped under CAS number carry the ISO identification UK if they are manufactured in England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Island

Just to clarify I do not blame the EU, I totally hold my hand up for not spotting the UK instead of the correct GB, My fault no one elses

Last edited:

Are the DVLA now responsible for catching villains associated with stabbings and murders.? It's just they certainly weren't last I knew.

If flanaia1 had told us from the outset that he was displaying illegal plates then we wouldn't have had this protracted discussion.

The DVLA wants to check why a registered supplier is selling illegal plates for road use. That IS their job.

I would expect a whole host of questions to be asked and records looked into now at the suppliers...

If I had known the plates were illegal, which I admit is an oversight of mine for not spotting the UK do you think we would really be on page 8 of this thread. I believed my plates to be legal, now I have had it pointed out they are not I will swap them.

But do you seriously think I am going to shop the supplier of these plates when we do business together? I already have a pre empted response for the DVLA courtesy of a well respected motoring lawyer, as I said always pays to take professional advice:)

live e mail and 3G mobile internet access on PDA

Don't think there is much chance of my wife being mown down at a bus stop, she has not been on a bus since she was 17, why would she when she has several cars to choose from

Just off now to have lunch with a well respected motoring Lawyer

...Considerably richer than yow! :D ;)

314406787_3939ea61ef.jpg

i always get my plates off ebay for £12 inc P&P and they sell them as show plates and that is fine with me

id ignor the letter and wait for a knock at the door then tell them to go away

...Considerably richer than yow! :D ;)

314406787_3939ea61ef.jpg

Not really, I'm a partner & director of a Motorsport company, hence we always have several race cars in our possesion as well as a fleet of company cars, company insurance covers us to drive anything at anytime, anywhere. I started life in the coal industry and grafted to get where I am. Never had nothing handed to me on a silver spoon. I worked damn hard for everything I got. I have also never forgotten my roots and never will as my friends will tell you. It's true what they say be good to your friends on the way up because you'll sure as hell meet them on the way down (and most likely need their help to get back on your feet)

not sure this is what he is implying.
I think he is implying that those who are in charge of catching stabbings and murders should investigate them with as much ferocity as the DVLA does number plates. I may be wrong.
Ultimately it comes down to the courts and the justice system, the case is a man presented at court for a mugging and one presented for refusing to supply details on dodgy plates. who will get a heavier punishment.
I do not know the answer but that is one for another day and another time and should not be here(not bothered to get into that line tonight) and the OP has responded that he will sort his problem out, now he knows his plates are dodgy.

Still too trivial to me and i can feel a fine coming up that is why the matter is being pursued vigourously.
Why not a letter saying your plates are wrong, please sort out in x number of days.

Last edited:
Not really, I'm a partner & director of a Motorsport company, hence we always have several race cars in our possesion as well as a fleet of company cars, company insurance covers us to drive anything at anytime, anywhere. I started life in the coal industry and grafted to get where I am. Never had nothing handed to me on a silver spoon. I worked damn hard for everything I got. I have also never forgotten my roots and never will as my friends will tell you. It's true what they say be good to your friends on the way up because you'll sure as hell meet them on the way down (and most likely need their help to get back on your feet)

So you had something then? :rolleyes:

Do you not have to ask the owners? :devil:

I am the owner!!!! The race cars belong to me or my partner, the company cars are registerd to the company and classed as pool cars so available for use by any employee (including my wife). We of course do not use customer cars for private use and they are treated with the utmost respect whilst under our control as one would expect from a professional company.

the OP has responded that he will sort his problem out, now he knows his plates are dodgy.

Oh, yes. But for how long.
Illegal plates and the o-p are no stranger, and when known they disappear, only to reappear once he gets home again.

So you had something then? :rolleyes:

Not a bean! Grafted from the bottom up, spotted niches in the market and capitalised on them, Driving is an art, if you are good at it you can make a lot of money. But there is a world of difference between thinking you are good and actually being good. Plenty of people think they are good as the accident statistics prove!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom