DVLA Joined Up Thinking - Not

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

st13phil

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
His - Denim Blue A220 AMG Line Premium / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
My wife's car was registered 1st August 2009 and, accordingly, having been taxed for 12 months each time from that date the current VED expires 31st July. Insurance expires 31st July too, but the renewal offer was accepted a week or so ago, and it's paid by Direct Debit. Just to complete matters, the first MOT was done on Monday and a pass certificate issued.

So, attempt to tax the car online on Monday evening to find that DVLA's system says there's no valid insurance for the vehicle in force on the day the new VED comes into effect, so we can't apply for the VED online. However, under these circumstances the advice is to present the new Insurance Certificate (plus MOT, VED renewal notice and payment) at a Post Office who will then issue a VED disc.

Now, it used to be that an insurance certificate had to be presented in order to get a VED disc issued. The logic for that was that there was then, at a minimum, an annual check that the vehicle was insured. Then the online VED renewal system started, and a check for insurance was made for the same reason. However, there is now a requirement to continuously insure a road vehicle (except if it's SORNed) and an offence is commited if it is not. This is administered buy - guess who? - the DVLA. So what, pray, is the point in continuing to refuse to process a VED renewal application online just because the MID system can only recognise a vehicle as being insured if the start date of the policy is in the past and the end date in the future?

What a crock... :wallbash:

Tax the car this time for six months and then yearly after that, is how I got around that nonsense.

That's exactly what we'll be doing - even though you get charged a 10% premium for doing so :mad:

Bizzarely some insurance expires at 00.01 the next day which will allow insurance renewal (Admiral group do this, and I could always renew my daughter's car's tax online) but most others seem to expire at 23.59.

This also leaves the anxious amongst us wondering what happens if the car is destroyed at 00:00 !

I wonder if there's any flexibility in the expiry time - they can do it exactly when you change cars - so it might be possibe to get the times shifted?

Last edited:
Good point Rory, but the problem has been solved by a visit to the Post Office this afternoon and the purchase of VED for 6 months.

What a farce :wallbash:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom