DVLA private plate online system

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lfckeeper

Car
Bmw 5 series (Former W203 C class and 2x W219 CLS owner)
Has anyone used the online system for putting a private plate on a car ?

Any idea times of how long it takes before the 'new' plates can be put on?

Super simple, and immediate.

The system let me do everything online, instantly, for my previous Lexus, including the keeper change.....but wouldn't let me put my plate onto the R500 online, and, for that matter, wouldn't let the previous owner take his plate off, online. I called DVLA, who said 'that sometimes happens....we don't know why'! :rolleyes:

Pete

I'm gathering it's instant from a Certificate of Conformity but to transfer from car to car is not instant ? few days maybe for that ?

My plan is to purchase a plate from DVLA registrations online.... then transfer the plate to my car online (then get ripped off on the actual plates)

The system let me do everything online, instantly, for my previous Lexus, including the keeper change.....but wouldn't let me put my plate onto the R500 online, and, for that matter, wouldn't let the previous owner take his plate off, online. I called DVLA, who said 'that sometimes happens....we don't know why'! :rolleyes:

Pete

I did the V5 transfer online ... quite impressed although maybe a little open to abuse

Did 2 also recently then couldn't do the Merc.
I was annoyed as the reason they give is they were investigating the previous tax gap period.
I said I don't give a ****. I've just paid £515 tax and am the new keeper and paid a fair amount for a private plate from them.
Still had to send my forms off and they took 2 weeks :(

Mine took over two week after doing it online with DVLA. They sent me a document as well to authorise new plates to be made. I was transferring from one car to another.

Yes loads of times. It only failed once on a car originally registered in Northern Ireland.

Off and on now instant but remember to wait an hour for the system to refresh so you can update your insurance.

How do you get the new plates made then? Is there a download form or something as the fixings are different on most cars

Ebay, Halfords (v5) or any number of online places. They usually don't provide fixings unless you get some cheap sticky pads or screw/caps thrown in.

Let me take a plate off a car online but wouldn't let me assign it to our new car, had to send the forms off

sometimes it fails and comes up with a reason to do with suspect "licencing history."

I think its just a glitch though.

Amazingly, a government agency that works! It was very quick and painless for me. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom