DVLA Rule

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pluggers

MB Enthusiast
Car
C250 AMG Line Premium Plus. W205
Just seen the adverts on telly about this new rule DVLA seem fit to bring out :mad: ,If you are even a day late in paying for your road tax a letter is sent out to your address automatically fineing you £80 :crazy: .I cant belive it yet another money making scam.Thats equivelant to 6 months road tax just for been one day late.God help us if were 2 days late :rolleyes: So no grace period anymore. Be warned folks make sure your on time with your road tax.

Not only that but I heard if you've sold the car (and sent off the bottom bit) if the new owner hasn't registered it, it will be you that gets the fine.

This could be rubbish, I read it on another forum this morning.

It wouldnt surprise me if they were trying to do it but you shouldnt need to tax your vehicle if it isnt on the road. sure the government have bought out SORN, but to force you to make a declaration to declare that your vehicle will be off the road *before* you actually do so.... I cant see it being legally enforcible.

I got a letter about nine months ago saying that my bike was untaxed and I had failed to declare that it was off the road by signing the SORN document, fining me £30. I wrote back saying that the vehicle wasnt being used on the road - I wasnt riding it untaxed. I suggested that I had a right to privacy and should not have to declare my intention not to use the vehicle and would fight the penalty charge.

I have heard nothing since despite the fact that I taxed the bike for summer. I would love them to take me on in court over £30. :eek:

I wonder who will shoulder the blame when the DVLA gets it wrong?

example 1

last year we taxed the car 12 days before the previous disk expired. 3 months down the line we got a very nasty letter from the DVLA telling us we were going to be prosecuted for using an untaxed car on the road. 1 digital photograph later and proof of purchase of the tax disk and we got a letter saying that in this instance we would not be prosecuted but warning us it was an offence to keep/use an untaxed vehicle. We asked for an apology and were told it was not the DVLA's policy to apologise as they don't make mistakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If this new law was in force we would have got the automatic fine and had to appeal against that - very unfair.

example 2

a few years I taxed one of my cars at a local post office in Essex. When I moved down to the coast Annie used the car on a daily basis so I transferred it to her name and we left it parked outside the house. The local traffic warden accused her of having a forged tax disc (based on his assumption that a local car wouldn't be taxed in Essex) and reported his suspicions to the DVLA. They would not accept that their records were wrong and Annie was taken to court and fined £300 because the DVLA didn't make mistakes!!!!!! She appealed and won but it took 6 months for them to admit they'd got it wrong and a further 12 months before they paid the costs awarded against them

As for being liable for someone else failing to send the forms to DVLA it doesn't work like that any more. It's the person who sells the car who has to send the form to DVLA notifying of any change of ownership - in the light of my previous dealings with the DVLA I always photocopy stuff before I post it to them.

At the end of the day this is just another stealth tax that penalises the less well off who may well hold back on paying for their road tax in favour of some more pressing bills.

Andy

I think someone needs to put together a letter to one of the national motoring organisations ar at least a national mag such as autocar, pointing out just how strict the DVLA are planning to be, and highlighting some of the instances that have been mentioned here. People need to be made aware that by owning a car makes you fair game as far as the beaurocrats aere concerned.
they make me shudder

… car ownership - soon to be a Capital Offence?

The way Darling Tony and his bunch of cronies at No10 are going its soon going to be a hanging offence to own a car!!! Why won't this bunch of prats work out that you can't tax/hound people out of cars into their much vanted public transport system when said system is totally crap!

And as for Johnny Two Jags……………

RichardM said:
Not only that but I heard if you've sold the car (and sent off the bottom bit) if the new owner hasn't registered it, it will be you that gets the fine.

This could be rubbish, I read it on another forum this morning.

It is rubbish - Your legal responsibility is to inform the DVLA of the sale.

The tax disk system is changing, currently the DVLA records are very slow to update (to do with the way the Post Office inform them - they send the information by mail (!!!!!)).

New Disks have a bar code system which means you vehicle record is updated on the day you tax the car.

The next logical step seems to be a power to remove vehicles that are un-registered from public roads. Combine this with the current power to remove un-taxed vehicles (which is used in only a miniscule number of cases) and you have the next BIG industry - set yourself up as a recovery firm and charge £75 a day to store vehicles.

To be honest, I tax and insure my car. Anyone who doesn't deserves to get stuffed.

A mate of mine used to run his car for 12 months then go without tax for a month (figuring that if he got caught he could claim he forgot...). He had an accident in that month, and got prosecuted. :D

Forgetting to insure your car bares no comparison to "straying" over the limit - if the govt want to fine them or take their cars, good on 'em.

:bannana:

The only thing this is going to do is drive more uninsured cars onto the road. Going to an auction and getting a car for £100 . Not being liable for speed camera fines etc, not being liable for insurance , MOT or road tax....

Some people will find this a more and more attractive an option. This country is going mad. This is all being caused by the government making the cost of fuel too high. There is more than enough tax already on fuel to abolish the " road tax" IF the money was actually spent on the road you wouldnt mind, but it aint...

Hmm , why is the isle of man looking better and better??

Would this explain why the date is now embossed in a lovely gold colour?, so it stands out well in a photo of your winscreen?<taken from a roadside camera the b*strds!>
Time to reposition my tax disc in the rear window methinks!!

lordofthenazgul said:

Funnily enough I used to have my tax disk positioned at the top centre of the screen just behind the rear view mirror,Never had any probs with the law ,I wonder if I will get away with it now a days

On the bike, I never display the disk as if I mount it on the bike it gets stolen pretty quickly. For years, I have kept it in my wallet - the authorities dont like it but so far, I have managed to evade prosevution for it. .

vito113 said:
Why won't this bunch of prats work out that you can't tax/hound people out of cars into their much vanted public transport system when said system is totally crap!

And as for Johnny Two Jags……………

I suspect that exactly the opposite is true. They are fully aware that they can't tax us out of our cars and that's why they keep piling these "taxes" onto the motorist.

There is no way that the British motorist will ever stand up to the government and say "screw you" as every single one of them "needs" their car far more than the next person - or so they will tell you :)

Just think if the whole country stood together and refused to use their cars for a week it could bring down not just this one but any government but it will never happen. We are all downtrodden because we have allowed ourselves to be so you could say it serves us right :(

Andy

Spot on Sir!

fuzzer said:
The only thing this is going to do is drive more uninsured cars onto the road. Going to an auction and getting a car for £100 . Not being liable for speed camera fines etc, not being liable for insurance , MOT or road tax....

Your spot on there Jason, The Governments own figures suggest 1 Million uninsured/untaxed/unregistered cars now on the roads and climbing!

lordofthenazgul said:
Would this explain why the date is now embossed in a lovely gold colour?, so it stands out well in a photo of your winscreen?<taken from a roadside camera the b*strds!>
:D
The new tax discs are much more difficult to colour photocopy, and the only value of displaying is that it can be seen by a Cop who stops you (or might identify your car because it isn't displaying anything).

They are slightly superfluous now, the Police computer has details of whether the vehicle is taxed or not and whether there is any insurance on it (back to thread on ANPR). They might not tell the person why they chose to stop the car ("Just a routine check , Sir...") but they could already know there is no tax, insurance (although you may be covered "any vehicle"), it is used by a disqualified driver, used in crime, unregistered, etc etc.

:bannana:

As mentioned on another thread..

there is no such thing as a "routine check". If you ask why you have been stopped they have to give a "proper" reason.

OK, it's a technicality but if you are stopped as a "matter of routine" any good lawyer would stand a pretty good chance of getting you off any charges that followed.

Andy

andy_k said:
As mentioned on another thread..

there is no such thing as a "routine check". If you ask why you have been stopped they have to give a "proper" reason.

OK, it's a technicality but if you are stopped as a "matter of routine" any good lawyer would stand a pretty good chance of getting you off any charges that followed.

Andy

Not true.

A Cop can stop any vehicle on a road, in order to ascertain that the vehicle is being used legally - to check insurance, licence, MOT etc. And they do not HAVE to tell you why they stopped you, although it might be more polite to tell you.

As for "any good lawyer...getting you off" - Internet rubbish!!!

lol :bannana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom