Dvla scam

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Athey, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Athey

Athey Member

Car:
    C63amg
    Hi all, just received a text from dvla saying they owe me £800. Got directed to a supposed gov website asking for lots of personal info and card details. Now I’m not as thick as a McDonald’s milkshake so phoned dvla. They confirmed it’s a scam so everyone be aware of this scam. If in doubt ring dvla

2. DrFeelgood

DrFeelgood MB Club Veteran

Car:
    BMW
    HMRC scam email yesterday as well.

markjay and Pontoneer like this.
  3. Petrol Pete

Petrol Pete Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C55 AMG Wagon
    The wife got the same one yesterday. Not a very sophisticated scam. only a dumb fool would fall for it.

....we changed her bank details this morning....:po_O !:eek:

4. bob6600

bob6600 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    AUDI S8 V10, S210 E320 CDI (R.I.P.)
    You may have been lucky but clicking links can be bad enough. Some install keyloggers etc

Athey likes this.
  5. oldguy57

oldguy57 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Now various and sundry
    DVLA and HMRC scams have been around a long time. They must still be working in some cases. Dreadful people.

6. flowrider99

flowrider99 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SL500 / Audi S5 Sportback
    I never click on any links in unsolicited emails or texts even from my own banks. Always call your bank first to check authenticity, seems obvious doesn't it but you would be surprised how many McDonalds milkshakes there are out there!

7. ChrisHampshire

ChrisHampshire Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2004 S55K LWB, 2008 E280 CDi Avantgarde.
    Anyway, how could DVLA owe one money, especially that amount?! I mean, what could it be for?

8. OP
    OP
    Athey

Athey Member

Car:
    C63amg
    Good thinking bob. Have rang bank and credit cards and made them aware, so will be watching for any suspicious activity.
    No need for these scams as you could go begging on the street and make a fortune or set up a go fund me page as a lot do.

9. Ian C

Ian C Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Various Shiny Mercedes, MGA,Daimler Dart,Lotus 7 SII,Lotus Elite T14,RS200,M1
    How many members have WiFi bank cards.
    Do you keep them in an RFID shielded sheath or wallet?

if not :wallbash: !!!!!

NFC can be very dangerous

10. whitenemesis

whitenemesis MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Lexus RC300h F-Sport 2019
    Worth a read

Why you don't need an RFID blocking wallet

markmifsud likes this.
  11. Ian C

Car:
    I disagree with much of the link. Skimming cards like this does exist, has been shown many times, and it does happen in the real world. It can be done on any phone with NFC and the relevant aplication. Amongst other things I worked in the Credit Card world so know something about it. There are incidents all the time and cyber crime has many, many forms. The article says there has not been a proven case of serious RFID crime. This is incorrect but the banks don't want to publicise this. I know that they are cheap but banks will often send you one if you ask or go into a branch.

However, the comment about a few layers of aluminium foil wrapping as protection does work and costs nothing.

12. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    Is walking around with an RFID card more risky than ordering goods online using your credit card?

And, in either case you will be fully compensated by the card issuer for any loss resulting from this type of card fraud.

13. SPX

SPX MB Club Veteran

Car:
    That one
    The jokes on you, suckers!

I had the same email and it was genuine, all I had to do was send them a cheque for £5k and they’re going to Western Union me £5,800!

markjay, oldguy57, Ted and 1 other person like this.
  14. Ian C

Car:

Yes I agree that you are compensated in most circumstances.

However I'm not sure that it's much fun when you're abroad and your card is stopped or suspended because of suspected fraudulent activity.

By the way, I tend to use Paypal when ordering online.

All that I'm pointing out is that it does happen and it's very easy to avoid.

15. tangey

tangey Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    GLC250D
    I haven't heard a lot about RFID crime, so it's possible it does exist, but it certainly isn't high profile enough that it's become a public newsworth issue.

However, those RFID pouches probably do help to prevent accidental (as opposed to deliberate) charging. I've heard the odd story of person B getting charged for something when person A in front of them was the one doing the buying. Might be ancedotal. But for example on the underground, if you have two cards together, which one gets charged by the scanner, and if it's a different one on the way in and the way out, you'll get hit with the full journey fine. So keep all but the one you intend to use in a pouch will eliminate that problem.

16. oldguy57

oldguy57 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Now various and sundry
    So you made £800 just by sending a cheque? Give me their address and I'll send one a well.

17. allenhh

allenhh New Member

Car:
    C180 2002
    I will have some of that as well

18. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    Would you be interested in buying a bridge per chance....? ;)