Dvla scam

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Athey

Car
C63amg
Hi all, just received a text from dvla saying they owe me £800. Got directed to a supposed gov website asking for lots of personal info and card details. Now I’m not as thick as a McDonald’s milkshake so phoned dvla. They confirmed it’s a scam so everyone be aware of this scam. If in doubt ring dvla

You may have been lucky but clicking links can be bad enough. Some install keyloggers etc

DVLA and HMRC scams have been around a long time. They must still be working in some cases. Dreadful people.

I never click on any links in unsolicited emails or texts even from my own banks. Always call your bank first to check authenticity, seems obvious doesn't it but you would be surprised how many McDonalds milkshakes there are out there!

You may have been lucky but clicking links can be bad enough. Some install keyloggers etc
Good thinking bob. Have rang bank and credit cards and made them aware, so will be watching for any suspicious activity.
No need for these scams as you could go begging on the street and make a fortune or set up a go fund me page as a lot do.

Good thinking bob. Have rang bank and credit cards and made them aware, so will be watching for any suspicious activity.
No need for these scams as you could go begging on the street and make a fortune or set up a go fund me page as a lot do.

How many members have WiFi bank cards.
Do you keep them in an RFID shielded sheath or wallet?

if not :wallbash: !!!!!

NFC can be very dangerous

I disagree with much of the link. Skimming cards like this does exist, has been shown many times, and it does happen in the real world. It can be done on any phone with NFC and the relevant aplication. Amongst other things I worked in the Credit Card world so know something about it. There are incidents all the time and cyber crime has many, many forms. The article says there has not been a proven case of serious RFID crime. This is incorrect but the banks don't want to publicise this. I know that they are cheap but banks will often send you one if you ask or go into a branch.

However, the comment about a few layers of aluminium foil wrapping as protection does work and costs nothing.

Is walking around with an RFID card more risky than ordering goods online using your credit card?

And, in either case you will be fully compensated by the card issuer for any loss resulting from this type of card fraud.

Is walking around with an RFID card more risky than ordering goods online using your credit card?

And, in either case you will be fully compensated by the card issuer for any loss resulting from this type of card fraud.

Yes I agree that you are compensated in most circumstances.

However I'm not sure that it's much fun when you're abroad and your card is stopped or suspended because of suspected fraudulent activity.

By the way, I tend to use Paypal when ordering online.

All that I'm pointing out is that it does happen and it's very easy to avoid.

I haven't heard a lot about RFID crime, so it's possible it does exist, but it certainly isn't high profile enough that it's become a public newsworth issue.

However, those RFID pouches probably do help to prevent accidental (as opposed to deliberate) charging. I've heard the odd story of person B getting charged for something when person A in front of them was the one doing the buying. Might be ancedotal. But for example on the underground, if you have two cards together, which one gets charged by the scanner, and if it's a different one on the way in and the way out, you'll get hit with the full journey fine. So keep all but the one you intend to use in a pouch will eliminate that problem.

The jokes on you, suckers!

I had the same email and it was genuine, all I had to do was send them a cheque for £5k and they’re going to Western Union me £5,800!
So you made £800 just by sending a cheque? Give me their address and I'll send one a well.

The jokes on you, suckers!

I had the same email and it was genuine, all I had to do was send them a cheque for £5k and they’re going to Western Union me £5,800!
Would you be interested in buying a bridge per chance....? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom