DVLA - Typical!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 6183

:DDecided to change from my 1980 green paper driving licence to the current card type.

Given that I moved house a few years ago (the licence was still registered at my parents home) it was time to change the address in the process.

Also, all my points have expired and I fancied a nice shiny clean licence.

So, with trepidation, (having read several whiney threads about their overall incompetence on MBclub) I went to the DVLA website to see how to go about this onerous task and what assortment of stuff I would need to send up to them or, even worse, take to one of their offices.

The answer?

A piece of piss. :p

10 minutes online on Monday afternoon giving details of address, old licence and passport and my new one arrived this morning (Thursday).

Thats my input on day 1, they dispatch on day 3, I receive day 4. Completely free of charge.

Bloody DVLA eh?

I've had no problems with them either, perhaps we're lucky.

However, I do see a problem when renewing my existing driving licence. The plastic version says that my licence expires 01/12/12 but the paper licence states that it will expire 08/01/13. So from what date do you think that I should apply for a new one?

Having to apply for a new license now (certain birthday 3 weeks ago, only remembered the law on age now... :() but looks like there's going to be no hassle

OK, you have your shiney new license, but are all the catagories correct as per your old paper license?:D:D

OK, you have your shiney new license, but are all the catagories correct as per your old paper license?:D:D
This is why I think I will claim I have lost mine (still have old-style paper) then if it turns up missing anything I have proof! Prolly worth the £20

I've had no problems with them either, perhaps we're lucky.

However, I do see a problem when renewing my existing driving licence. The plastic version says that my licence expires 01/12/12 but the paper licence states that it will expire 08/01/13. So from what date do you think that I should apply for a new one?

The photocard should be renewed every 10 years with a new up to date photo and DVLA will send a reminder to let you know that you have to pay them a tenner for the privilage.

Yep.

Plus I still have the old one in case, remember that this was all done online so they have had no chance to confiscate my battered old paper copy.

I did tick a box to 'promise' to send my old one back once the new one was received.

Yep.

Plus I still have the old one in case, remember that this was all done online so they have had no chance to confiscate my battered old paper copy.

I did tick a box to 'promise' to send my old one back once the new one was received.
In that case I will have a go with it myself, don't fancy getting it back as a provisional or finding out I can only drive a two-wheeled steamroller.

Think the photocard renewal is £20 not £10. Please don't shout if I wrong, as I only working from memory.

I love the DVLA - see the following I posted on another thread!! I was blown away by the help of this staff member (I suspect that comment may generate a few earthy responses!!):

my Mrs and Kids bought me a plate for my 50th (thanks!!). Not sure what they did, but the paperwork arrived from DVLA addressed to me so I opened it. Dawned on me that I was not meant to know about this, so I phoned DVLA and asked if, under the circumstances, I could send the paperwork back for re-issue. Lady who answered said that if I did that it would get totally lost in their system -- her solution?? She gave me her home address, told me to post the paperwork to her and she would resend from the office!!! It was back on my doormat within 3 days and this time I made sure the boss was first to the post.

Thats what I call customer service...... a bunch of flowers was sent

I love the DVLA - see the following I posted on another thread!! I was blown away by the help of this staff member (I suspect that comment may generate a few earthy responses!!):

my Mrs and Kids bought me a plate for my 50th (thanks!!). Not sure what they did, but the paperwork arrived from DVLA addressed to me so I opened it. Dawned on me that I was not meant to know about this, so I phoned DVLA and asked if, under the circumstances, I could send the paperwork back for re-issue. Lady who answered said that if I did that it would get totally lost in their system -- her solution?? She gave me her home address, told me to post the paperwork to her and she would resend from the office!!! It was back on my doormat within 3 days and this time I made sure the boss was first to the post.

Thats what I call customer service...... a bunch of flowers was sent

You will be pleased to hear that they are intending to close the regional offices in that case so we can all enjoy crap service!

...I can only drive a two-wheeled steamroller.
BTW this comment relates to a DVLA howler from the 70s when my Dad bought a morris marina and the V5 came back stating the vehicle type as "two wheeled steamroller" rather than private/light goods or whatever. He kept a photocopy and sent it back for correction :)

Some might say it was your dad who was mistaking a "morris marina" for a "car" ;-)

Some might say it was your dad who was mistaking a "morris marina" for a "car" ;-)
The marina was a fine car but eventually it was traded for an allegro. I know...

I had to do mine by post because my passport had expired, I had to send my birth certificate and NI card.
That cost me £5 each way for insured delivery because I didn't trust normal post not to loose it.
I was changing address and getting a plastic one for the first time, I thought it was £20 for the plastic one but because I was also changing the address ( 4 years late ) they sent my cheque back with a note saying no payment required.

i've just renewed my photocard, my passport had just expired so i couldn't do it online. £20 fee plus £5 for the lovely photobooth portrait (i know you can faff around with your own photo but i didn't want to risk having it rejected). all went through ok but took nearly 4 weeks to be received.

you should get your reminder about a month before your card expires, don't renew it straight away though as you'll 'lose' a month as the new card will expire 10 years from the new issue date. only a minor issue in the big scheme of things but i do like to get full value for my money! :)

I just sent mine off with a category change and a request for photo card, and change of address. First set of info was sent out to them then returned to me because apparently the did not like my cheque so I resent and will see what happens.

Could not do it online god knows why not it just turned round and told me no.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom