Dvla!!!

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by carat 3.6, Aug 29, 2011.

1. carat 3.6

carat 3.6 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    96 e300d, 88 w124 superturbodiesel, 90 bmw E30 v8, + "others"
    Has anyone had, or is having problems with the dvla?

It dosent seem to matter what is, be it a logbook, sorn reminder, or anything else that I have to deal with them over. They allways make it a drama.

The latest in their long line of cockups, is to fine me for not sorning a car that was scraped 2 years ago.

Is it just me, or are they indeed unfit for purpose?

PS: I apologise in advance if I start to rant in my post's, regarding this thread.:mad:

2. oldcro

oldcro MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Range Rover Sport 3.0 HSE
    Did you inform them the car was scrapped?

3. corned

corned MB Enthusiast

Car:
    car
    A few months ago we got rid of an old motor, filled in the forms, sent them off, etc. A few weeks later we received a letter from dvla asking for confirmation of the new keeper's details. Clearly they received our form then, so why not actually read the bloody thing instead of asking what was written on it! Also asked for date of change, despite this also being clearly marked on the form. Having copied the completed form prior to posting, we merely sent another copy with a simple letter requesting that they actually read it this time. Nothing heard since...

4. OP
    OP
    carat 3.6

carat 3.6 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Yes, sent the logbook off to them as scraped, and when I took the car to the scrapyard they gave me a notice of destruction with a dvla reference number. However, I cant seem to find it!

It isnt the first time they have tried this...

Needless to say I will be fighting the dvla over it. :devil:

5. swannymere

swannymere Active Member

Car:
    1994 S124 E300d
    Rumour on the motorcycle forums i frequent goes something along the lines of;

The DVLA in Swansea was having a refurb which included some kind of internal lift for mail, when they removed part of the machine they found hundreds if not thousands of letters which had simply got lost.

The other thing to check is when you send off your licence for renewal that it comes back with all the entitlements, as people had found that they suddenly lost their motocycle entitlement, to which the DVLA response was 'We'll give you back your entitlement once you can prove you passed your test by providing us with your pass certificate'? It was then pointed out you have to send the certificate to them to get the entitlement in the first place!

1 person likes this.
  6. MicB

MicB MB Enthusiast

Car:
    MB SL500 (R230) 2003, MB SLK320 (R170) 2001, Volvo V70 XC AWD 2001
    I have found DVLA Swansea to be very good.......and the Oxford office is truly excellent. No complaints here.

Mic

7. Spinal

Spinal MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Smart, S320 and C180 with 3-pointed stars amongst others
    The asking for details is standard practice if the buyer sends in his part of the form stating he hasn't received his new V5C; and the DVLA haven't gotten your "half".

What they do is ask the "old owner" if he can confirm the details to make sure that the V5C fragment isn't stolen, forged, etc...

M.

8. OP
    OP
    carat 3.6

carat 3.6 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Today I have sent details to the dvla stating where and when the vehicle was scraped, as per their latest letter. They do state that I must include a copy of their confimation letter, but of course I didnt get one. :wallbash:

I will not be bullied into anything by the dvla.

I now await their reply.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  9. Spinal

Spinal MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Annoyingly, the onus is on the car owner (not on the DVLA) to ensure that they know about your scrappage...

Crazy, I know!

So, if you don't get a confirmation of something from DVLA, you need to chase them to ensure you do... if not, even if you sent it registered/recorded, it's still your fault that they lost it...

Which reminds me, I never got a confirmation for the permanent export of the W202 to Timbuktu... hmmm... will call them tomorrow!

M.

10. davidjpowell

davidjpowell MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Range Rover Vogue, Volvo XC60 and crappy Pug 307
    After a change of car they lost the V5 that I sent to them and suugested I should pay a fine.

A brief scrap and they seem to have changed their minds about that

1 person likes this.
  11. Piff

Piff MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mitsubishi L200 Barbarian, A207 E250CDi Cabriolet Sport, R171 SLK280
    I've heard of this too:eek:

1 person likes this.
  12. Pontoneer

Pontoneer Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    '99 S320 W140 ; '93 300SL-24 R129
    That is basically the same argument as the one they lost in court over SORN reminders .

The Interpretation Act basically states that once a letter has been posted to them by normal post , it is considered delivered , unless they could PROVE it was never posted . Since it is impossible to prove that a letter was never posted , it is legally presumed to have been served . Their suggestion that you have to chase them for confirmation amounts to an unenforceable request which has no meaning in law . There is case law on this .

1 person likes this.
  13. Spinal

Spinal MB Enthusiast

Car:
    But, the DVLA are above the law... this we already know :p

I'd be interested in seeing a trial case for this with regards to V5 certificates... I've seen quite a few horror stories where they misplaced the V5c!

M.

14. whitters

whitters New Member

Car:
    ML Sport
    A while back I lost 6 months of my life dealing with the DVLA over a missing SORN. I wrote contacted my MP but at every corner all I got was i should have chased up the DVLA when i didn't receive confirmation. To add insult to injury the new owner had taxed the car confirming the dates and the photo copy I sent. In the end I paid the £60.00.
    Its not a coincidence that Capita run the DVLA and what amounts to sharp practice keeps share holders topped up.