DVT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have since learnt that DVT’s can strike anyone at any time when their mobility is restricted

There’s a lot more too it than that though, certain factors increase your risk. For example: age, being over-weight, other underlying medical conditions (e.g. malignant tumour), medications which can impact blood clotting etc.

You can use the ‘Wells Scoring System’ to calculate your risk of suffering from a DVT. Personally I wouldn’t say that everyone who flies should use compression socks, only if there is a heightened risk.

Last edited:
Take regular exercise when flying and the risk of DVT is reduced considerably.
Even when seated you can carry out some exercises using your arms and legs.
On long haul flights get up and have a walk around, but not outside it’s far too cold for that ‍
Yes I wouldn't advice going out up there its awfully drafty

Mr B,
This is an excellent topic for a thread.......here is my story.
In Feb 1999, I flew back from Australia, after having been in Cairns for some 6 weeks, basking in the sun, fishing, etc etc.
I arrived home on the Saturday evening after perhaps a 24 hour plus flight time, and on the Monday night, I had the most excruciating pains in my back. Tuesday first thing, I rang the doctors and got an appointment for about an hour later. As soon as the G.P. saw me, he sent me straight to Northampton General Hospital, "do not go home" he said, just go straight there. I went in, repoted to reception and a few minutes later I was on bed having Heparin injections into my stomach, and straight onto oxygen. Soon after, I was under a scan machine that showed I had many blood clots in my lungs. Diagnosis, "Multiple Pulmonary Embolism" "the silent killer", following a DVT, which was caused by sitting cramped up in an airline seat with your knees bent. The lack of movement constricts the veins and the only way you get blood back up from your legs is by using the muscles in your legs to pump it up, which you are not doing.
I was in hospital for a week or so, until the clots had dispersed and my blood oxygen level had risen as it had been very low. I remember the old man the corner bed, had a better blood/ oxygen rate than me. One morning, he did not wake up.
After the event , my next door neighbour said I had looked ghostly grey on the Monday.
Eventually, when my INR had gone down, I was discharged, so boring just sat there just waiting for the Phlebotomist to come and extract more blood for testing. After I was discharged, I was put on Warfarin....Rat Poison, a horrible concoction, used to thin out the blood ( read up on Google on this ) which after a month or so made my hair start to fall out, just one of a multitude of side effects, used only because it is cheap. So that was the end of the Warfarin, and I then just started taking Aspirin, which also thins out your blood.
Following the DVT my legs gained a dark patination, they look awful and 20 years down the line, the skin on my leg is now paper thin, it is so easy to brush up against a box etc. and the skin peels off like a ripe peach and then takes ages to heal. Just a result of the poor circulation im my leg. I did go back and see the GP that sent me to hospital, mostly to thank him for his timely diagnosis. If he had not done so, I doubt whether I would have lasted another day.
Subsequently, I was referred to a Consultant at the hospital to see if surgery could improve the blood flow in my veins. Consultant just said that most folks with blood clots on the lungs just do not survive, or if they go to your brain then thats your lot. However, surgery to improve the blood flow, was not possible.
I have been back to Australia several times since my P.E. and since then when flying, ( even short distances ) I always have worn compression socks. I only drink water on a plane, no alcohol and at every opportunity I flex my legs and my leg muscles as much as possible. Long haul, I find it helps to take off your shoes and put on some thick socks to keep your feet warm, just so you have more feet exercise space, not limited by shoes or trainers. Being a large person, I have always tried to get extra leg room so I am not cramped up, even if it has meant paying for it.
These days at home I tend to keep my right leg up on a footstool, and I am always flexing my toes, wiggling my leg etc, just force of habit. The leg will never get better, so I just have to look after it, and a second DVT ie entirely possible, its an accident waiting to happen.
I did used to suffer with badly swollen legs, but after losing 4 stone, this has been greatly reduced. Not only but also, as a result of the Pulmonary Enmbolism, I am now not allowed to Scuba dive any more, but that is no great loss. My breathing has deteriorated since then. but research on PE. survivors has not been conclusive about breathing problems for the after years.
Finally, ......at the turn of the century, a collective of P.E. survivors and dependents of those that did not survive tried a group action in Ausralia to take legal action against the Airlines, but this failed. The only good thing to come out of it was the mass publicity about "Economy Class Syndrome", and in the following years, so many more people are informed and know that to wear compression socks, drink lots of fluids and to get up and walk about the airplane cabin. Hopefully, DVT's caused by flying are now far less of a risk, and the death toll is reduced.
Apologies for a long read.
Steve.

Excellent post Steve - thanks for sharing.

And DVTs aren’t the only danger......

Aerotoxic Association // Supporting those affected by Aerotoxic Syndrome

Currently no one wants to admit what’s going on, but it may turn out to be the “asbestosis” of modern times :confused:.

You seriously would not believe the amount of fume incidents happening, multiples per day. Pyrolised jet oils and hydraulic fluid are very, very nasty compounds.

All this and now they are getting ready to fly people non stop to Australia.! I have been there a few times and on all occasions getting off the plane and spending a night in Singapore/Kuala Lumpur etc was always a must for us ,not only for the visit but just to get off that bloody plane !

Not everyone who takes this route can afford the time to do so but i think its a great way to see a tiny bit more of the world and might even help with the jet lag and possible DVT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom