DWP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stwat

MB Enthusiast
Car
1989 W126 300 SE
So, DWP says I'm fit for work and have stopped all payments to me, even though I suffer from an incurable degenerative disease, depression, anxiety, heart problems, liver problems, cant use my hands properly due to CTS circulation problems in my legs cant walk very far due to back etc etc.

I told the assessor I regularly had suicidal thoughts due to my long term health issues. But I'm fit for work apparently. I can't imagine a single job I could competently do. I feel like topping myself. I honestly believe that is what they want people in my situation to do.
End it all and be one less problem for them.
My heart is pounding in my chest at the moment due to this stress I feel. My arrhythmia is kicking in badly and I just want to be sick. ****s sake, what have I done to deserve this?

oh and the eye disease that has robbed me of sight. How would any of these ****ers like to live a day in my life and then declare themselves fit for work?

I know this may split consensus on here. But I'm just sat here almost panicking not knowing what to do and where to go from here. There is no way I can sleep. Oh and that's another thing, insomnia. Another thing totally ignored in the decision to stop all help to me.

I don't know what to do

Sounds like a horrible situation mate and something I know nothing about.

Hopefully someone more knowledgable than me can offer you some more helpful advice.

As far as the dark thoughts are concerned, please try and remember that is a permanent solution to a temporary problem, things WILL get better.

Many thanks, Kianok.
But here's the thing. Thing's will not get better. As the years roll by, my body degenerates and just gets worse. More and more ailments just get worse and worse, with more health problems adding up as time goes on.
I'm only young, 45, but the only outcome is progressively more and more degeneration of my body. And my mind if i'm being honest.

I simply can't see a positive at all. And now I have lost all support and help from the Gov, I just can't see where to go from here. I am scared.

The small hours are a terrible and lonely time to be churning this sort of thing. It's not easy to roll over and leave it til the morning, though I find that the morning usually does bring a bit more hope and perspective. I don't know enough about your circumstances or the "system" to give much practical advice, except to suggest that you might want to look at challenging their decision, via their management review process and/or via tribunals. Anecdotally, a quick Google tells me that a significant number of appeals are upheld in this area, so there may well be hope.

Thank you both for your support. It really does mean a lot to me.
God I really do hate to be that guy. The one that craves help. I really didn't want my OP to be that. I just had to shout out my frustration and fear and try and get out of my system the fear and helplessness I feel right now.

Hey up bud, I can’t imagine what you must be going through, I’m positive that CAB could help, even if it’s just guiding you in the right direction for the proper support you need. As the others guys have said, the small hours are terrible for making tough times seem an awful lot worse, but there is definitely support out there.

As you’ve said, shout it out on here if it helps, there’s always someone ‘listening’! I’m sure that within this community there will be someone who will offer good strong advice on what to do or where to go next.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi stwat, I can only sympathise which is not much help I know.

You need to appeal this decision which is plainly wrong given the information from yourself.

The problem with having several issues is that maybe some feed the others and feeling low or down can make things worse.

I just cannot imagine how an assessor came to this decision and I assume you have medical back up?

This is not meant to upset you but maybe you did not prepare as well for the interview as you should of.

An assessor will only go with the evidence in front of him or her they are not your friend and are not there to help you quite the opposite.

You are relatively young to have so many issues and I can understand your frustration.

You should definitely appeal this and gather as much evidence as you can and prepare fully before the next DWP assessment.

I wish you well and hope this is sorted out in your favour.

Robin

@stwat - you've touched on some of your issues before.... I am sorry they seem to be continuing with little or no support from the so called community.

Do go see the CAB as advised by others, that has to be a good first step.

Also, family? Friends? Not sure they can solve your problems, but at least in the immediate, they can make sure you have food and accommodation.

And with that in mind, if you truly have no one else to turn to, PM me, and I will help with your immediate needs.

Best wishes,

Chris

Hi Stwat,

Don't take this the wrong way, but loose your temper instead of posting on here..

My dad had similar - couldn't walk a short distance, can't remember the exact distance that was required for the medical, I went ape on them I took photographs of his hands and feet (badly deformed due to illness) wrote to both his MP & doctor, basically saying "Here you try walking or working with these.." We had a meeting with the MP and a Lawyer and blew them out of the water... after that you'd never seen a better bunch of humans, he even got home help that we weren't expecting as a result...So breathe, calm down and make a plan of how you can approach this.. we all sympathize with you, so young to have this inflicted upon you, I don't know how you cope.. but we're here to help (If we can) and happy to chat .. this may sound stupid/funny but I've used Paul McKenna Hypnotherapy for times of stress & anxiety and they do help.. maybe look on line or Ebay for some cheapies?

Last edited:
^ Definitely what "Capn' Sensible" has said....Sorry,:( "Happytalk73" :D

I'd start by drafting a letter to the DWP asking "On what grounds have they determined this, and to provide evidence of.."

REMEMBER: Keep a paper trail, never make or take phone calls, get names, dates & times of who said what & where. This is to build up your file/evidence.

As others have said. Appeal with the assistance of the CAB. they’re very helpful.

And please don’t keep it all in. Post away anytime day or night. It’s good to talk. :)
Ant posted exactly what I was about to type.

stwat, if you can, try to think of the DWP decision in this way: you're been temporarily caught in the "filter" which separates those who really need help, and those who cheat the system and defraud us all. Those who need help will be helped but it can be a stressful time whilst appealling. Get your appeal in ASAP and get some advice from your local CAB, GP and any other medical professionals you deal with.

In the meantime, if you can see it this way - caught in the filter - rather than the end of the road in terms of support, then whilst it will not improve your individual medical conditions, it should ease the stress associated with the DWP decision. Wishing you the very best.

The rumours I've heard is that 95% of assessments fail first time round think it is a deliberate ploy, however on Appeal most are allowed.

Not got first hand experience but my wife applied when I was made redundant in 2012 as she has arthritic degeneration of the spine, chronic fibromyalgia to the extent that she is prescribed morphine and was refused any financial assistance. The local advice we received was to Appeal but she was too despondent and I was soon able to financially support her after starting my own desk bound business.

The Council then decided not to renew her blue badge, that we appealed and won.

Think of it as a war, takes more than 1 battle to win.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

An Interesting sideline to "Pentagonians" comments..

But have you talked to your Doctor and again may sound funny but a Minister/Priest.. they do listen y'know.. often out with the Church and can have a coffee to help... I had this when I was 18 (long time ago) and was advised the same.. The minister I had was retired and an absolute gent if ever, we walked our dogs and had coffee in the local community centre.. he would start of just chatting in general about life/football/cars/ politics and gently lead you into the topic you wanted to discuss it was never rushed and I always felt calmer/better when we finished... I miss the old guy.. but it maybe something to think about...

Assessments in England are subcontracted out to Maximus an American multinational. [ Former subcontractor was ATOS] I believe their assessment results are passed on to the DWP for final decision.
Fitness for Work Assessments | MAXIMUS United Kingdom
Health Assessment Advisory Service |
Many results are reversed on appeal. In response to widespread disquiet about how this sub contract system works in practice the Scottish parliament has set up its own agency to perform this work.
Scotland bans private firms from carrying out benefits assessments 'for fairness'

And its an ill wind of course. :rolleyes:
Maximus miss fitness-to-work test targets despite spiralling costs

Assessments in England are subcontracted out to Maximus an American multinational. [ Former subcontractor was ATOS] I believe their assessment results are passed on to the DWP for final decision.
Fitness for Work Assessments | MAXIMUS United Kingdom
Health Assessment Advisory Service |
Many results are reversed on appeal. In response to widespread disquiet about how this sub contract system works in practice the Scottish parliament has set up its own agency to perform this work.
Scotland bans private firms from carrying out benefits assessments 'for fairness'

And its an ill wind of course. :rolleyes:
Maximus miss fitness-to-work test targets despite spiralling costs

Sounds like they should have called themselves Minimus.

:dk:

To the OP - stick with it and keep at the DWP. Due to illness, I had to give up work at the end of 2014 and had several run-ins with DWP over my Permanent Health Insurance payments. My circumstances are a bit different to yours, but the underlying principle is the same - don't 'roll-over'. I ended up referencing the DWP on-line 'Decision Maker's Guide' and eventually I had to quote the relevant sections of the enabling legislation (The Employment and Support Allowance Regulations 2008) and ask them to explain their actions to me. They couldn't and my payments were reinstated.

I have a strongly developed sense of fair play and it really irked me that (in my case) DWP were not following their own rules so that did give me the motivation to pursue a rather tortuous path to resolution. The last thing you want to do when you are feeling poorly is to wade through lots of red-tape, but it is worth it.

As others have said, seek external help and you might find this site a useful source of information:
Home

Unfortunately, it is not at all unusual to find that DWP do not apply the rules correctly or uniformly across the country :(

Persevere with it and good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom