Dyeing Leather Seats With Scuff Master

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeterE320Cdi

Car
C219 CLS 320 CDi, R170 SLK 230K, XC60 Past Cars: S210 E320 CDi rusty, CLK 240, S210 E300 DT
Since buying my car in February I have been looking into Leather dyeing services as the interior is heavily worn. Does the grey interior wear faster than the other colours?

I decided to have a go myself using the Scuff Master touchup kit from www.liquidleather.com

As I have no talent for this sort of thing I enlisted the help of my artistic sister-in-law, this proved neccersary as the colour needed toning to match my seats.

Here are the steps we took to recolour the passenger seat:

1, Wiped the seat over with white spirit to remove grease.

2, Wiped the seat over with a damp cloth to remove white spirit.

3, Mixed the colour with small amounts of gloss enhancer, dark toner and water (trying to use the product undiluted left a poor finish)

4, Using the sponge wiped the colour over the worst areas.

5, Dried using a hair drier.

6, Applied the colour to the entire seat using the sponge.

7, Dried using a hair drier.

We then repeated steps 4-7 about 5 times so that the colour built up on the light areas.

Take a look at the before and after photos. I am very pleased with the result and will be ordering a full kit to recolour the rear and drivers seat too.

To repair some scratches we applied the product neat and then wiped over with a damp cloth to remove the excess dye, this worked well as the colour stays on the damaged area but is removed from the surrounding leather so the original finish remains.

Attachments

• seat before.jpg
    seat before.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 404
  • seat after.jpg
    seat after.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 395
Last edited:
Looks good.

I've got a little patch on a black leather bolster where the colour has rubbed away.

The link doesn't work. How much did it all cost?

yes the link isnt working for me either and I need the stuff too.. do u have the contact details? phone number would be good.
Thanks

Contact details

Hi, Not sure why their websites not working as the address looks OK maybe their webserver is down. Here are the traditional contact details, the website was quite basic so a phone order is probley best.

The product I bought was the Liquid Leather Scuff Master which cost £13 including P&P. This contained the dye, gloss enhancer, toner and application sponge. When ordering you need your interior trim code. They can also match to leather samples. I ordered using the trim code so had to tone the colour slightly. I used about 3/4 of the bottle of dye to do the passenger seat. They do a complete interior kit which comes with a sprayer which I plan to order to do the rest.

Gliptone Leathercare
5 Bridgewater Street
Castlefield
Manchester
M3 4NN
Tel: 0161 832 8532

Hope it goes well.

Last edited:
I have had a few questions on how this is wearing so thought I would post an update.

Shortly after the original post I ordered the full kit including the spray gun and tackled the rest of the leather but can not find the before and after photos.

Here are some I took at the weekend, I think it still looks good nearly 2 years after being applied.

Attachments

• CIMG0850.JPG
    CIMG0850.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 247
  • CIMG0851.JPG
    CIMG0851.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 244
  • CIMG0852.JPG
    CIMG0852.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 241
i used this stuff on my CLK when i had it - good results.

I have had a few questions on how this is wearing so thought I would post an update.

Shortly after the original post I ordered the full kit including the spray gun and tackled the rest of the leather but can not find the before and after photos.

Here are some I took at the weekend, I think it still looks good nearly 2 years after being applied.

Looks lovely. How long did it take you to do all the seats?

I have also used this product and achieved good results. 5 years on, the colour's still holding. :bannana:

I was looking at trying this kit following reading about it in a mag last week.

I've got a couple of deep black scratches on the driver's bolster where it looks like someone got in and out with a sharp thing sticking out of their back pocket...

Will the liquid leather cover these? Its orion grey, and everywhere else its pretty much like new.

Ade

I spent a day on it.

Seems like a day well spent. I've been in touch with Gliptone. They didn't have my colour which MB say is Galaxy Blue Code 212A, so I've sent them a headrest and they're going to mix something up to match it. That's got to be worth a smiley banana!:bannana:

Just out of interest, did you use the spray gun or is it better to sponge it on?

Just out of interest, did you use the spray gun or is it better to sponge it on?

I tried it just sponging and just spraying - then read the instructions and it said to sponge on 2/3 layers and then to spray 2/3 layers so tried this and it got the best results:)

Right then, that's what I'll do (I'll try to get round to it sometime this decade). Thanks for the tip. If anyone else has Galaxy Blue and wants to have a go at their leather, Gliptone say they'll hold the colour on the shelf for future use.

I was looking at trying this kit following reading about it in a mag last week.

I've got a couple of deep black scratches on the driver's bolster where it looks like someone got in and out with a sharp thing sticking out of their back pocket...

Will the liquid leather cover these? Its orion grey, and everywhere else its pretty much like new.

Ade

I am not sure if this would work or not. The solution is quite thick so you may be able to build up the scratch by applying a number of coats.

Right then, that's what I'll do (I'll try to get round to it sometime this decade). Thanks for the tip. If anyone else has Galaxy Blue and wants to have a go at their leather, Gliptone say they'll hold the colour on the shelf for future use.

Will you be taking some before and after pictures for us?:D

Yes, can do - will do. I'll post some before and after pictures when I get round to it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom