Dynavin instal in a 2003 CLK W209

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave_Bax

Car
CLK320
I recently purchased my CLK and the radio was the standard Audio 10 with a CD changer in the glove box.

The sound of the standard stereo IMO was not the best and was somewhat lacking sonically in a car of this quality and in my mind was top of my list of things to change. I had done some research on options for the CLK, single DIN, Double DIN with adapters, Command (way too expensive for me). I stumbled upon the Dynavin units which are Chinese made units very similar to the 2 DIN devices you see on eBay.

I found a lot of information regarding the Dynavin units on the BMW forums and while physically they look different in the BMW's, to fit in with the BMW trim, the devices are in essence the same. Dynavin make this unit for BMW, AUDI, VW and Mercedes i believe.

I was a little apprehensive regarding the purchase, as £570 is quite a lot of money for me to spend on a stereo, especially a relative unknown chinese brand (unknown in high street terms), but I was swayed by the OEM look of the unit.

My needs were, MP3 capability, USB connectivity, GPS sat nav and the obligatory CD and radio. In addition the Dynavin unit plays DVD's and has the ability to plug in DVB TV, Reverse Cam and an Aux device. Also keeping the steering wheels controls would be a nice to have. The Dynavin fits all my needs as far as the specs are concerned

I got round to fitting the unit today and gave myself the whole day to do the install as I have installed two or three stereos in the past in past vehicles and know they can take some time. I was very pleasantly surprised to find the whole job very easy to do, from removing the trim to installing the new unit. This is definitely a DIY job, it was a doddle. The hardest part was routing the USB and IPOD cable through to the centre arm rest console and to some degree squeezing all the cables in behind the unit.

I have had a quick test of the unit including the GPS and I am very impressed. Firstly the sound quality, the Dynavin is a definite upgrade in terms of sonic ability compared with the Audio 10 unit (no amp). I have had £200+ Alpine and Pioneer units in the past and this is eaily comparable with those units, no problem. So I am very happy with the sound. I was contemplating the need to change the speakers before i fitted the Dynavin, but know I'm not sure i need to as the sound is a vast improvement to my ears.

The steering wheel controls work a treat in terms of volume up and down, and to my surprise the phone buttons now work as well, which was a very nice unexpected bonus. When the Dynavin unit is paired with your mobile (very quick job) and your mobile rings, press the button on your steering wheel to answer the call and hang up, great stuff. Also if you press the call button on the steering wheel the Dynavin unit dials the last number dialled, maybe handy, not sure, but all a bonus.

As I said I routed the Ipod and USB connector through to the centre console which makes adding those devices very easy and accessible. I tend to put most of my MP3's onto my USB and play from there, but I have just purchased an Ipod as well so I will let you know how that goes.

As for the interface I found everything very easy to use, I programmed my favourite stations in very quickly, wait for the RDS info to come up on the screen before you add the stations to memory and they will be stored as Radio 2 etc, as opposed to the frequency number.

The USB interface is OK, the screen is split into two, the left side showing the folder structure I believe and the right side showing the tracks. You cant see all the track name until you select the track, this may be altered I'm not sure. Not a big hiccup but as I say not the best. This interface is used for CD's as well which I suppose can be viewed as a positive or negative as most CD units I have used in the past only display the current track!

The GPS sat nav runs on top of Windows CE, the rest of the units functions are hardware operated, only the GPS is run from WinCE. This basically means you insert a micro SD card with your sat nav programme of choice on (must be WinCE compatible) and run your sat nav, assuming you have pointed the screen button to the correct exe (simply config change on the Dynavin).

My unit came with iGo Primo installed and to be honest it seems fair, time will tell based on its route choices, but graphically it looks well and the quick local route I tried was calculated quickly. I will hold judgement though until I have used it in anger. Other sat nav options include Tom Tom, which is what I will choose if I fall out with the iGo.

I have included a few pics below of the before and after. The GPS antenna is placed above the stereo circled in the photo and it seemed to pick up eight satellites very strongly.

To remove the stereo you need to do the following:

• Open the ashtray and pull up the gear lever surround
  • Unclip the ashtray and move to one side out of the way
  • Remove the outermost screws on the centre dash trim
  • The centre dash trim can now be removed by gently prying it free from its securing clips
  • Installation is reversal of the above.
Would I recommend the Dynavin unit, yes :thumb:, without hesitation, they are a very good upgrade from the basic stock systems.

I will let you know how i get on with the unit in the coming months for those of you who might be considering buying one.

Attachments

• DSC00092.JPG
    DSC00092.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 737
  • DSC00091.JPG
    DSC00091.JPG
    204.2 KB · Views: 721
  • DSC00094.JPG
    DSC00094.JPG
    165.7 KB · Views: 749
No doubt they are better in terms of they look just like an OEM unit. Regarding how reliable they are time will tell if they are worth the cost. The cost (model dependant) for some is on par or close to the cost of the latest Comand NTG2.5.

Alfie from Comand.co.uk recently posted they have removed a few of these from customers cars.

Last edited:
No doubt they are better in terms of they look just like an OEM unit. Regarding how reliable they are time will tell if they are worth the cost. The cost (model dependant) for some is on par with the latest Comond NTG2.5.

Alfie from Comand.co.uk recently posted they have removed a few of these from customers cars.

Yes, indeed, time will tell NPUK. I did see the post from Alfie and its a punt for sure as is most purchases. I will keep you guys posted. But I dont think these units are as unreliable as some make out, based on other forums and users. Again time will tell and I will keep you all informed.

Well I for one think that looks damn good mate.
Certainly looks better than the standard unit.
To be honest I would dump the iGo software and install TomTom with speed camera, if thats possible.

Just a quick update. The Dynavin unit has been in for just over a month now and i am still very impressed with the unit.

The steering wheel controls allow you to answer a call, redial and hang up a call through the blue-tooth on the HU. Move up or down tracks and also the volume control, so not bad considering.

The Mercedes CLK dash display shows which function the HU is currently on, for example Navi, USB, IPOD etc.

The SatNav (iGO Primo on my unit) works a treat i have used this in anger for my job and it has worked flawlessly, so using the adage, 'if it ain’t broke don’t fix it' I will not upgrade to Tom Tom.

The unit has genuinely improved the whole experience of driving my W209 and I have done numerous journeys of over 2 hrs driving where the USB and iPOD playback has been fantastic. I even played a movie for the kids while on a 200+ mile round trip and it kept them quiet, now the viewing angle wasn't great from the rear seats, but the novelty value more than made up for that inadequacy.

I am going to upgrade the speakers next but I'm unsure how far to go in terms of expense, i may go for simple Alpine replacements or spend a little more for a bit higher specified ones, not sure. Any suggestions would be welcome.

So I still recommend these Dynavin units if anyone is undecided as a HU on par sonically with Alpine and Pioneer units circa £200+ IMHO. I am going to get one for the wife’s Audi A3 now.

Im impressed.

Your unit is one of the pre-facelift shaped ones. The two I've seen have both been the post facelifted ones. Neither worked with the steering wheel controls nor displayed anything in the cluster. Perhaps they are designed initially for the prefacelift clusters only.

The unit I have is V5 which has predominantly orange graphics on the function menus, I have read these versions of the units moved to a different chipset for the main units function (i.e. Non GPS).

Maybe the earlier version of the units were less reliable, I can only surmise?

Dave... I've got the same year CLK with the same setup...audio 10 with cd changer, standard speakers, no amp. Looking to get the same Dynavin unit this week...

Couple of q's...

- does the cd changer still work? If not, did u need to do anything special with the wiring to disconnect it?
- was it hard to run the cables through to the centre console? Any hole drilling required?
- I understand the dynavin box comes with an external mic which needs to be fitted as it wont pick up the built in mic in the CLK? If so, did you run that through to behind the rear view mirror? If u did this....was it hard to run the cable/remove trim?
- were the cables long enough or did u need to buy any extensions?

Answers in line below:

- does the cd changer still work? If not, did u need to do anything special with the wiring to disconnect it?
The CD changer will not work with the Dynavin unit. The rear of the audio 10 has an orange optical cable that connects to the CD changer, just disconnect and push the cable out of the way, then if you ever decide to re-fit an MB unit you can use it at a later date. Also when you remove the CD changer (one screw to the top left of the unit) again push the optical cable into the cavity to the right of the glove box in case you want to refit an MB unit later on.
- was it hard to run the cables through to the centre console? Any hole drilling required?
Not too difficult, there is an existing cable run to the left of the gear lever, the hardest part was getting the cables into the console itself, not the routing. there was a cone shaped plastic conduit in the bottom right of the console where the slide out tray is. With some fiddaling, and this was the awkward bit you can remove this, I then literally hacksawed the cone off which gives you a larger whole to feed the iPod connector and USB socket through. In hind sight I think i might have put the iPod in the glove box after removing the CD changer as the cable isn't that long, but still long enough so dont worry.
- I understand the dynavin box comes with an external mic which needs to be fitted as it wont pick up the built in mic in the CLK? If so, did you run that through to behind the rear view mirror? If u did this....was it hard to run the cable/remove trim?
I used the mic built into the Dynavin unit (top left) and not an external one so no wires to feed (wire the dynavin unit up and test it before you refit the trim, I did and was more than happy), I had read comments on the BMW forums that the built in mic was good enough and I have had no complaints as yet.
- were the cables long enough or did u need to buy any extensions?
All the supplied cables were long enough and I was quite impressed with how simple it was to fit, certainly as easy as a standard single DIN unit.
The hardest part is physically pushing all the cables back in and pushing the HU back in to the dash cavity. The cables with the RCA connections are very bulky, I pushed mine to the left of the centre console as there was a cavity I could use.
Re-chack your iPod and USB before you fit all the trim back just in case you dislodge the connections.
Also there are two external USB cables, the one marked GPS is not for MP3's or movie files.

Hope that helps, if you get stuck just shout. Just test all the sources before and after you screw the HU in place to make sure no wires get dislogged.

I would be interested on how you find the unit in every day use.

Hi there, first post here so hello!

I recently bought a ML 320 Sport CDi auto on a 57 plate.

I have the basic radio and cd player in the centre console, and want to upgrade this. I came across the dynavin product and it looks pretty good. I too have some questions for members here.

1/ The gps antenna looks like in your pic that its hidden in the dash? I thought this was a no-no as it woldnt get a signal. Is this how you have it set up, or am i missing something?

2/ Is it really plug and play? ie i order it, and thats it. I was looking at command units, and one article stated I need to take it to MB to get them to code it and sync it up with the car. Im guessing this isnt the case with this?

3/ DOes the sound come out of the car speakers for audio playback, or just the units internal speaker?

4/ I note that your pics are different than my interior. My gearshift is behind the steering wheel, so my center console doesnt have a gear lever. Does anyone know how to remove the trim on my particular model?

Thanks all

Great advice

Thx Dave...I'm taking delivery of the unit tomorrow so will report back. You tips are most welcome and give me the confidence I can attempt to pull it off myself.

I'm a Brit based in Hong Kong, just took delivery of the CLK a few weeks back. Spec here is the same as a Euro based CLK so shouldn't be any nasty surprises - famous last words!

Which sat nav maps did you downloads? I'll be looking for a Hong Kong map of course but most of the major map manufacturers seem to have a global coverage. Ive heard of tom tom and igo being popular.

Which website did you download your map from from? Win CE format, right?

Hi and welcome to the forum. Please double check with whoever you purchase your dynavin unit from thit it is correct for your model of MB.

Please see below for answers to your queries:

1/ The gps antenna looks like in your pic that its hidden in the dash? I thought this was a no-no as it woldnt get a signal. Is this how you have it set up, or am i missing something?
You can position the GPS antenna where ever you see fit, it is supplied on quite a long length of wire. I positioned mine in the dash and it recieved multiple satelite signals very easily, so being lazy I was happy to leave it where it was. I have used the GPS in anger quite a lot recently without any problems, but check for the best position on your vehicle.
2/ Is it really plug and play? ie i order it, and thats it. I was looking at command units, and one article stated I need to take it to MB to get them to code it and sync it up with the car. Im guessing this isnt the case with this?
The dynavin came with everything I needed to fit to the vehicle, I was very surprised but it really was just plug and play, just as easy as any standard single DIN stereo fittment in previous cars I have owned. I would double check with your supplier that the dynavin is just as easy on your vehicle with your stereo.
3/ DOes the sound come out of the car speakers for audio playback, or just the units internal speaker?
The Dynavin does not have an internal speaker that I am aware of? The sound comes out of the standard speakers in my CLK. Again double check with your Dynavin supplier for your exact MB model and audio as some MB's have fibre optic connections to amplifiers and CD changers etc.
4/ I note that your pics are different than my interior. My gearshift is behind the steering wheel, so my center console doesnt have a gear lever. Does anyone know how to remove the trim on my particular model?
Can't help here sorry.
I would just check with your Dynavin supplier (I used TTints in London) that your car is compatable before you buy. TTints were very helpfull and pre checked the stereo before delivery, I would recomend them.

@Ducatiash

Thx Dave...I'm taking delivery of the unit tomorrow so will report back. You tips are most welcome and give me the confidence I can attempt to pull it off myself.
No problem, tucking the wires in was the hardest part, so just double check the sources prior to screwing everything back in place.
I'm a Brit based in Hong Kong, just took delivery of the CLK a few weeks back. Spec here is the same as a Euro based CLK so shouldn't be any nasty surprises - famous last words!
:)
Which sat nav maps did you downloads? I'll be looking for a Hong Kong map of course but most of the major map manufacturers seem to have a global coverage. Ive heard of tom tom and igo being popular.
My unit came with iGO Primo and Europe maps and I have been happy with it so far. As its on an SD card you can back it up on your PC etc. I have seen the maps available on certain forums if you know where to look.
Which website did you download your map from from? Win CE format, right?
The GPS is Win CE based yep, it is a specific version of Win CE, cant remember which of the top of my head, but if you go onto the dynavin forums there is some info on using other GPS software such as Tom Tom, the only one they don't recomend is Garmin as it runs slow.

Thx once again Dave...i'll search the forums and download a suitable map (need to check and see if it has iGO installed).

Good news is i just took delivery of the Dynavin unit today. So many bloody cables, but it seems to make sense (missing the USB cable so I'll need to tap up the reseller for that tomorrow). A few more q's if I may before I take the leap and have-a-go: :confused:

1. referring to the image attached...whats this black box for? I think the cable connector under my finger connects to this box (correct?)...but then what does the single jack (top right) connect to?

2. The cable marked 'Parking'...is that to connect to some kind of parking cable or a reversing cam?

3. Does the iPod cable also charge an iPhone/iPod or is it just for playback? Also, when in playback, can the steering controls be used to control the iPod/iPhone?

4. When using an iPhone via Bluetooth (assuming you might?) to stream music using A2DP, can you control play from the steering controls or do you need to control play via the iPhone itself?

Keen to hear your thoughts on the above....this will help me understand if I actually even need to install the iPhone or USB cable or just use A2DP.....

Thx mate!

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 305
Thx once again Dave...
No problem fella.
1. referring to the image attached...whats this black box for? I think the cable connector under my finger connects to this box (correct?)...but then what does the single jack (top right) connect to?
If I remember correctly I think that was something to do with the steering controlls and i think the single jack connected to the HU. It looks odd as you think the wiring is looping back on itself.
2. The cable marked 'Parking'...is that to connect to some kind of parking cable or a reversing cam?
Yep, thats for the reversing Cam.
3. Does the iPod cable also charge an iPhone/iPod or is it just for playback? Also, when in playback, can the steering controls be used to control the iPod/iPhone?
Ohh good point, not checked charging or steering controls on the iPod. I have used the steering controls on the USB files which allows you to up and down the tracks as well as the volume.
4. When using an iPhone via Bluetooth (assuming you might?) to stream music using A2DP, can you control play from the steering controls or do you need to control play via the iPhone itself?
I don't have an iPhone so can't comment sorry, but I remember reading something about this on one of the BMW forums and I'm sure they got the album art carousel working, but it might have been using the video out on the iPhone! I only have an iPod classic and just use the standars connection lead. I will check the steering controls though and let you know.

I am pretty sure you can stream music via bluetooth, although as I have seen that demo'd on youtube and I believe you can move between track on either the phone or the HU.
Let us know how you get on with that Ducatiash, as I am sure other forum members will be interested to find out how you get on.

Dave....

Phew...eventually got round to installing it today!

I connected the iPod cable but havent tried that yet.

So i paired my iPhone 4 (iOS 5) using the Bluetooth screen and it plays well. Couple of issues though when streaming via Bluetooth:

- when playing music, then switching to Navi or another function such as the Main menu even, music stops/pauses. The music starts again when returning to the Bluetooth screen. Maybe this is a compatibility issue with the iPhone. Byw, does this happen also when using the USB port and iPod cables?...or does the music continue when in Navi?
- Whilst the telephone controls work on the wheel when i'm paired using Bluetooth, the messages indicated on the dash says something like 'feature not installed/available'...but the phone buttons do actually work! Do you get the same messages?

One other discovery...even though I dont have a a parking camera installed, when I shift into Reverse, the Dynavin goes into Reverse Camera mode (showing a blank black screen, stopping music etc), until I shift out of Reverse! Is that normal?

First impressions...I'm sure many will follow. Btw...did you get your iPod working ok?

Dave....

Phew...eventually got round to installing it today!

I connected the iPod cable but havent tried that yet.

So i paired my iPhone 4 (iOS 5) using the Bluetooth screen and it plays well. Couple of issues though when streaming via Bluetooth:

- when playing music, then switching to Navi or another function such as the Main menu even, music stops/pauses. The music starts again when returning to the Bluetooth screen. Maybe this is a compatibility issue with the iPhone. Byw, does this happen also when using the USB port and iPod cables?...or does the music continue when in Navi?
- Whilst the telephone controls work on the wheel when i'm paired using Bluetooth, the messages indicated on the dash says something like 'feature not installed/available'...but the phone buttons do actually work! Do you get the same messages?

One other discovery...even though I dont have a a parking camera installed, when I shift into Reverse, the Dynavin goes into Reverse Camera mode (showing a blank black screen, stopping music etc), until I shift out of Reverse! Is that normal?

First impressions...I'm sure many will follow. Btw...did you get your iPod working ok?

All the features you describe about sound cutting out and dashboard display etc ive seen on other Dynavin units so I think its a 'feature' sadly.

Thx Alfie. I guess need to wait then to see if a firmware upgrade is available at some point - although I'm not pinning hopes on Dynavin getting thier support act together.

Music does still play in Nav mode when thru the iPod interface. Overall i'm pretty happy with the unit. Just a few bugs that would otherwise make it perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom