Dyno shootout

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Dazzler

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
Smart ForFour AMG Black Series Night Edition Premium Plus 125 Powered by Brabus
Just gauging potential interest for a dyno shootout. For any car - not just MBs!!

For those that have not been to one before, this is roughly what happens:
  • You arrive fresh and early - all excited - and then get butterflies as your turn gets close.
  • Your car's strapped on to some rollers sunk into the ground, and a fan blows fresh air at it, and a big pipe sucks the dirty stuff out rather than fill the room.
  • A bloke you've never met before drives it like he stole it - but fortunately remains in sight, thanks to the straps.
  • A computer works out how much power is being transmitted to the road.
  • You are either elated that your car performed as expected (or better), or you're gutted because it didn't.
  • You get a graph showing power/torque across the rev range to take home as a souvenir of a great day out.
  • Watch other people go through the same process - offering encouragement for those yet to run, celebrating with the ones who got a good result, and consoling the ones that didn't.
  • You get to re-run the fun much later in this thread!!
Sound like fun?

There are plenty of rolling roads out there, but some have better reputations than others. Cooling is really important, and so it's best to find a place that has huuuge fans - partly to make sure the car makes good power, but more importantly to make sure the car gets the cooling it needs.

We have a few options, one of which is Thorney Motorsport, who are very highly regarded - and they have possibly the best fans around. They're also fairly central - Milton Keynes - so hopefully we could get a good turnout.

You can read more about their dyno on their website.

racing_dynocell1_2.jpg

Most dynos have a pay-as-you-go approach - a fixed price per car, for three runs. Thorney mainly deal with racing teams and other tuners who take it for the whole day, and so they have a pricing model that reflects - a fixed price per day, for as many runs as fit between 0900 and 1600.

At £750 for the day we'd need 15 attendees to get the cost down to £50 each - which isn't cheap - but it is a quality set up. It would allow plenty of time to do runs - not restricted to three each. Might allow before and after experiments with air filters, etc.

It would require payment up-front by the way, to prevent the organiser getting stung with a big balance to settle!!

There are other options, but based on reputation, facilities and location, they're a good starter for ten. They could get us in on either of the first two Saturdays in May too.

If we can't get enough definites, then we will look to arrange a smaller affair on a pay-as-you-go basis, but geography may not be so neutral.

So hands up then, who's up for it? Please copy and paste the list below, and add your details.

Model - Forum Name - Real Firstname - Likelihood
W203 C32 AMG - Bobby Dazzler - Rob - Definite

I went to one of these a few years ago with a mate of mine thats got a scooby, it was one in Bournemouth a 4 wheel jobbie. It was quite good fun actually, they were all Subaru's there.
The added bonus was that the car which produced the highest BHP got his money back £40.00. And believe it or not my mate (John) beat the lot of the, he did have a WRX Sti import with all sorts of bits, I think it made around 320 or something of that nature.

Anyway, it was actually great fun, there was about 30 of us there and the guy organised the local 'Burger Van' to attend, so it was a day of eating, drinking & breathing nasty fumes all day.........what more could one ask for???

Yeah, I'd be up for, but I'm down 'Souff'..... :)

R170 SLK320 - Pammy - highly likely

Yeah, I'd be up for, but I'm down 'Souff'..... :)

and?

An excellent opportunity to test how evil Edna really is!! :devil: ;)

By the way, in case people are wondering why I need to know whether it's W203, R170, etc is so we know how many times they have to adjust the dyno to accomodate different chassis.

and?......I wouldn't feel like driving the 225 mile round trip. So in other woods, although I would love to attend one of these meetings, I just don't fancy driving half the day to do it, sorry.

and?......I wouldn't feel like driving the 225 mile round trip. So in other woods, although I would love to attend one of these meetings, I just don't fancy driving half the day to do it, sorry.

I see. It'll be 170 each way or so for me. But it can be difficult organising these things as people want them nearer to where they are. You could always set one up down your way ;)

Last edited:
Not only that Pammy, but I would show all you guys up anyway...... :)

nah - don't believe ya :p

anyway...

Last edited:
Provided I bring ear defenders for everyone :D

LA-DC5-230 - DolphiN Tech - Drew - Definite

Hope you don't mind me adding the extra info on the end Drew - just to help me later in case I forget, and I can't decipher it!! ;)

LA-DC5-230 - DolphiN Tech - Drew - Definite (2004 Honda Integra)

W203 C32 AMG - Andy_Cyp - Andy - Definite

Shall i bring my kebab van ?????? lol

w203 C32 AMG - timberman - Pete - almost Definite

sounds good to me,
i've thought about doing this a few times as i'm curious to see what kind of power i'm getting and anyway it's a good opportunity to see you guys again.

Excellent to see a few more names added. ;)

With 5 of us though it will cost £150 each!! :eek:

We'll see whether any more names are added over next few days - if not we'll look start to look for an alternative venue.

If anyone else's interested, feel free to add your name.

R170 SLK32 AMG - Wil - Wilson - Depending on date (on Hol 19/04-12/05)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom