Dyson cordless vacuum

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ShaunB

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W213 Designo Hyacinth E63
Guys

I need a new vacuum cleaner, and cordless appeals to me, and going on reviews, the Dyson models seem to get top marks
Do anyone of you own the V8 or V10 range of cordless vacuum cleaners?

My biggest concern is battery life, now I will rarely be using it myself, but could it be used to hoover a full 3 bedroom house which will always be in a reasonably clean state to begin with, cat hair being the exception.
Reviews are mixed on this, most seem to say it can do a full clean, but there a some who disagree.

Henry now comes in a cordless version . Haven't tried either though.

SPX may chime in...they've just got a Henry.

Ta, but that's just a tad too bulky :D

Recently bought the V10, must say very impressed. Coming from the Dyson Animal corded vac this cordless V10 is so quiet!
Doesn't sacrifice any suction, only really use it on the weakest setting and on carpets upstairs and down and never gone past 2/3rds battery.
Only 'gripe' is the relatively small waste bin. Easy and quick to empty though

We’ve got a circa 200sqm four bed, three bathroom house and the cordless Henry does it on one battery fully charged.

Power-wise, at full power, it’s about 80% of a corded Henry but when you think that a corded Henry can pull a carpet up that gives a good idea of its (relative power).

We did look at a Dyson cordless but once we knew Henry had brought one out and how indestructible they are, it was a no-brainer.

We have a V8 and it is OK as we have mainly laminate/tiles so hardly any carpets.
Battery life on the normal setting is OK but if you need to use the higher setting it drops to 5 mins which is useless.
I bought my daughter a similar model from another Vendor (could have been Vax but not sure) and although isn't as well built or have some nice touches like the charging point being incorporated in the storage point, it is as good at cleaning and the battery life if much, much better and for 1/3 - 1/2 the cost.

The Dyson is OK for a car though ;)

Battery life depends also on whether you've got powered accessories on the end or passive ones.

Our V6 does well for our little 3 bedroom house, although on max power we won't be able to do the whole house.

You use it differently though, as it's trigger-on, you only pull the trigger when actually vacuuming. With corded, you tend to leave them running while moving that table, or picking up that magazine, etc.

Just a thought but have you considered the G-tec cordless vac? Seems to get good reviews.
I'd heard a few bad reports, plus its a bulky thing and looks like it would have trouble getting into corners

I'd heard a few bad reports, plus its a bulky thing and looks like it would have trouble getting into corners

Arrrr. Ok Shaun. Seems like you’ve done your homework. :)

Just a thought but have you considered the G-tec cordless vac? Seems to get good reviews.

The G-tec is brilliant on floors, both carpet and karndean.. Light and easy to handle, and it gets right up to the sides. Loads of battery life. Add a small hand-held rechargeable Dyson for where you would add tools to a traditional upright (the G-tec doesn't take accessory tools).

The G-tec is brilliant on floors, both carpet and karndean.. Light and easy to handle, and it gets right up to the sides. Loads of battery life. Add a small hand-held rechargeable Dyson for where you would add tools to a traditional upright (the G-tec doesn't take accessory tools).

Agreed G-tech for me. AirRam K9 is what I use.
I've had Dysons before, admittedly not the cordless, and they're rubbish. You only have to look at them and they fall apart!

Check at your local dump and see how many Dysons are there............

Check at your local dump and see how many Dysons are there............

Could that be because more are sold though...

I am on my third Dyson since 2002 which I didn't think was too bad.

I killed the first one with cement dust (my own fault for not doing the filters often enough).

Last one did break but I forget why.

Current one has been fine for a long time although we are considering a change at some point as the floor brush doesn't always engage properly.

No experience of cordless although I will be watching this thread closely!

We bought a VAX 32v cordless vacuum. I must admit it's pretty good and handy for whipping round the hard kitchen floors when the kids have eaten etc. Personally I'd still want a full sized vacuum for a more thorough clean.

We have a Dyson upright vacuum which is ok but not the most solid feeling thing. Also, there's no where to put the accessories so they end up stuck in a drawer or something. I wasn't enamoured with the Dyson in terms of quality for cost so we went for the VAX.

We have a Dyson cordless and it's rubbish. The battery lasts for about 30 seconds (although immediately putting it back on its base unit for a while subsequently gives it about 5 minutes' worth - weird), it creaks badly, the filter thing keeps falling out of the top, it gets blocked easily, and the capacity is poor. Oh, and it was expensive I seem to recall. Other than all that, it's brilliant!

Do you know which model it is, or how old it is?

Could that be because more are sold though...

I am on my third Dyson since 2002 which I didn't think was too bad.

I killed the first one with cement dust (my own fault for not doing the filters often enough).

Last one did break but I forget why.

Current one has been fine for a long time although we are considering a change at some point as the floor brush doesn't always engage properly.

No experience of cordless although I will be watching this thread closely!

Yep. Same here. We’ve had a Dyson now for many years. Sounds like people do the hoovering whilst blindfolded bashing into furniture and skirting boards.

Look after a hoover and it’ll last.

(Ant takes cover for the onslaught. :))

Yep. Same here. We’ve had a Dyson now for many years. Sounds like people do the hoovering whilst blindfolded bashing into furniture and skirting boards.

Look after a hoover and it’ll last.

(Ant takes cover for the onslaught. :))
You can bash a Henry as much as you like in home or garage...it will not fall apart.

Dyson do seem to have a poor reputation for staying put together. I suspect most are bought as first timers and a great deal fewer as second timers. Whereas Henry is seen absolutely everywhere where reliability and robustness is required.

You pays your money (about 3 Henrys for the price of one Dyson) and you live with it.

Since I've built up on Ryobi kit I'll wait for them to develop a decent upright before taking the plunge, for Larisa.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom