E 250 Coupe Fuel Consumption & Storage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

survey

Car
Mercedes E250 cdi Coupe
Well, I have now taken delivery of my new E250 coupe. It has only got 100 miles on the clock and the reset computer is showing 44mpg. This is about what my C Class Estate showed and allowing for that car's 5% optimistic computer, it does not appear to me that the E coupe is anywhere near the expected 28% improvement in consumption that the respective MB issued figures purport to state. I know the E is a tight engine but to be fair the C never really improved to any great degree from new!

Something I overlooked when choosing the car was where my map books etc are to be stowed. My C Estate had plenty of storage including some on the backs of the front seats. The Coupe has none on the back of the front seats. The door pockets are too small to get anything more than a few inches high in them. Also the central storage box is not so useful as it has usb connections within it and the small central storage compartment is useless due to its having a couple of moulded cup-holders in it.

Anyone else with an E coupe come up with a solution to this?

Well lets face it, it is a coupe... I think you're expecting far too much practicality.

With respect to the MPG, it might change over time as you have a new engine. Mine only has 400 miles on it now and I was getting 45 MPG on a 2-mile commute home, not doing more than 30mph at any point which I think is very good, but then again I would think that as my previous car was a V8! On the motorway I've been getting 55 MPG at 70mph which again I'm quite happy with.

You've done 100 miles?!!

My E320cdi started to show proper MPG figures as it hit 100,000 miles.

I think you need to give it a little more time, even our 18d X1 BMW was only 36mpg till it hit 10k miles, then hit 40mpg and by the time it hit 20,000 miles it is now showing 45mpg average.

Well lets face it, it is a coupe... I think you're expecting far too much practicality.

With respect to the MPG, it might change over time as you have a new engine. Mine only has 400 miles on it now and I was getting 45 MPG on a 2-mile commute home, not doing more than 30mph at any point which I think is very good, but then again I would think that as my previous car was a V8! On the motorway I've been getting 55 MPG at 70mph which again I'm quite happy with.

You are correct - it is coupe and I accept that; I just have been surprised at the lack of storage. One reason for posting the thread was to see if anyone had sourced any after-market storage such as seat back containers that were of a good enough quality to complement the car.

As regards the fuel consumption - it is very early days! Hopefully ther will be some improvement over my C Class as surely the government figures showing a 28% improvement in each category cannot be so far out as to not show any improvement! Nobody really relies on the consumptions stated as they are obtained in ideal conditions but shouldn't they be an indication of better or worse than another car with better or worse stated figures?

You've done 100 miles?!!

My E320cdi started to show proper MPG figures as it hit 100,000 miles.

I think you need to give it a little more time, even our 18d X1 BMW was only 36mpg till it hit 10k miles, then hit 40mpg and by the time it hit 20,000 miles it is now showing 45mpg average.

Hi gIzzE - !00k!!!! Understand where you are coming from. However my old C Class really didn't improve much from new.

But the first 10k or so makes a big difference imho.

But sod that anyway, get some pics up of the new toy!!!! :)

Seems a bit cheapskate for them not to put map pockets on the back of the seats regardless whether it's a coupe or not.

Seems a bit cheapskate for them not to put map pockets on the back of the seats regardless whether it's a coupe or not.

The seat back of the Coupe/Convertible are hard back. How many things do you need to put in a car? My glovebox is empty.

My thought precisely. Even though the seat is hardback, I am sure something could have been dedigned!

Under the boot carpet above the spare tyre. Not ideal but better than leaving them at home.

As for fuel consumption............ Patience, mileage, and a careful right foot should sort it out.

I am easily getting 50 plus now the weather has warmed up, albeit with the E220. The 250 shouldn't be much worse if at all.

Averaging between 45-47mpg from a tank on my E250 so not bad at all, only has 8000 miles so I guess I can expect a little more once it loosens.

I am not sure if the coupe has the storage boxes under the front seats? Even if they do it might be a tight fit to get a map in there but you could give it a go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom