E 300TD Estate owners will enjoy this...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Brought back memories, I owned a 1997 Avante Garde for 7 years, never kept a car that long before

Ha ha. That should quell any doubters... Clarkson approves...:D

The biggest petrol-head says but a 300Turbo...:p

Hey

What would he think of one with a polished and ported turbo and an EGT??

:D :D

Did you notice the price of petrol at the filling station he drove past? 54.4p/l. Roughly half of todays price, and only 11 years ago! :mad:

i love old top gear stuff

can i boast a bit .... ive got all 12 series on dvd, all 14 clarkson dvds on um er dvd, and laods of old top gears, recently found a run of 10 episodes from 1997 all now on dvd

they are super smashin great

Did you notice the price of petrol at the filling station he drove past? 54.4p/l. Roughly half of todays price, and only 11 years ago! :mad:

So fuel has "nearly doubled in price" and that is worthy of comment whilst (based on autotrader & ebay prices) a £35k car has lost over 90% of it's value.

Makes the fuel price seem like bargain and we can't really blame depreciation on the politicians :)

Last edited:

So fuel has nearly doubled in price and that is worthy of comment whilst (based on autotrader & ebay prices) a £35k car has lost over 90% of it's value.

Makes the fuel price (about 60% increase rather than 100%) seem like bargain and we can't really blame depreciation on the politicians :)

can i boast a bit .... ive got all 12 series on dvd, all 14 clarkson dvds on um er dvd, and laods of old top gears, recently found a run of 10 episodes from 1997 all now on dvd

Do we call that 'boasting' ?? or is that 'admission'??

Don't worry, admission is the first step to recovery. :D

petrol 54p a litre ha next thing you know you will be trying to convince me Santa dont exist!!!

much as I hate to spoil a good story (and a chance to blame the government for ripping us off) it would be nice if we started off with facts rather than fiction.

It is rather nice to see 4 Star still on the price list though :)

Attachments

• petrol prices.jpg
    petrol prices.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
much as I hate to spoil a good story (and a chance to blame the government for ripping us off) it would be nice if we started off with facts rather than fiction.

You spoilsport, we never do that round here...

But.. go back a few weeks and the OP is quite right, fuel was half the price in the video.

Not wishing to spoil your spoiling you understand :)

But.. go back a few weeks and the OP is quite right, fuel was half the price in the video.

Bearing in mind that the money in your pocket is worth approximately half what it would have been worth 10 years ago that makes sense.

ah but to spoil your spoiling of my spoiling the OP did actually refer to today's prices rather than what we were paying a couple of months ago :)

Bearing in mind that the money in your pocket is worth approximately half what it would have been worth 10 years ago that makes sense.

I'm not so sure, a lot of things are considerably cheaper or haven't actually increased in price in the last 10 or so years.

Computers (massive reductions in proces), white goods (our new washing machine cost less than the six year old one we replaced and a similar model tumble dryer we paid nearly £700 for five years ago now costs just over £200), electrical goods (look at the price of TVs), mobile phones, a lot of foodstuffs, alcohol from supermarkets etc etc etc.

I'm not saying everything is cheaper but I don't think that we are that much worse off :)

I'm not so sure, a lot of things are considerably cheaper or haven't actually increased in price in the last 10 or so years.

Computers (massive reductions in proces), white goods

Houses.?

Shude's right. Inflation accounts for a near doubling of prices over ten years.
White and electrical goods have become cheaper due to being made in China and other cheaper labour countries.

The cost of car ownership has vastly reduced with respect to inflation.

Anyway, back to the 300TD. I wasn't aware the 0-60 time was as quick as 8secs, not bad..Still the best diesel made by Mercedes...:D

Anyone notice Clarkson's garden tractor was a Kubota diesel..;)

I'm sorry if I mis-read the 59 as 54, but the point is not may things have virtually doubled in price in 11 years. Compare the price of a new E320 CDI Estate, for example to the price of the one JC tested!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom