E 350 CDI Coupe Oil cooler seal leak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adrianlobont

Car
E-Class 350 CDI Sport Edition 265 Bhp
Hi all,
A few days back I had my MOT done and the technician seen a oil leak in the front of the engine but he was unable to tell exactly where the lick is from.
I decided to take the car to one Indy near me tho see what is going on.
At first they thought that the leakage is from the rear crankshaft seal.
They clean the oil and Iv'e been ask to drive the car for few days and to to return for another check.
Second time they realise that the oil is coming from the oil cooler seal.
I decided to change the seal and to have the job done :eek:
Everything came at a cost of 1240 pound including all the seals changed plus few more bits and peaces in order for the job to be done properly.
The labour is something in between 10 and 12 hours of work...

Lo there.

You're a way out of Brum, but I *almost* had this problem - it turned out to be various hoses leaking at both ends - the turbo hose IIRC - however the oil leak presented over the bell housing which "looks" like the dreaded one. I got MB to check this to confirm it was NOT the OM642 as I was under (my own sourced) warranty at that point.

However, my indie (IIRC - which I may not) was quoting more around the £900 mark for this (can't recall if it was inc/less VAT). He also recommended changing the inlet motor when the seal is replaced, as if oil has leaked, the inlet motor will have been exposed and that will then promptly start arsing up after.

The cooler is in *THE* worst place if you look at the design - at the bottom of the V in the engine - not the "coolest" place IMO! It's really annoying the part to replace to fix it is rubber and costs about £2, whereas the labour to get AT the pigging thing is immense. MB will take 2 days over it. My indie (if booked) claims they can do it in a day.

This guy did a DIY repair (it took him "a while") : A journey into the the infamous Om642 oil cooler leak! - PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum

Check your hoses and good luck! If not, consider a trip to Brum! :)
(they also said unless the inlet motor dies, if you keep it topped up, it's a slow leak, and you can easily get it to a different place to get fixed)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom