E Class 2016 212 Heater/climate control Help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gentabout

Car
E350 Estate AMG Night Edition Premium +
Hi Guys.

I'm after some help and other peoples experience off the heater in there E-Class.

My issue, a couple of weeks back whilst driving I suddenly noticed my left hand getting cold despite the temperature in the car set to 23c and the climate control set to Auto, the central dash vents were blowing cold air, the left and right vents were blowing warmish. If I upped the temp setting the middle vents got a little warmer but not much. With auto switched off and the system set to blow air out of the vents, I get the same temperature across all 4 vents. Last winter I left it on auto throughout and never noticed this issue and in fact was impressed with the heater overall. I spoke to my dealer and they booked the car in as they suspected a fault. It went in yesterday and has just been dropped back to me having had according to them a software update and the heater checked and everything now reported as working correctly.

I've just sat in the car with the engine up to temperature, auto and 28 degrees selected and the central vents are hardly blowing anything and what is coming out is enough to chill the hand, the left and right vents are blowing warm/hotish air but not as hot as if auto is not selected. The interior of the car was not warm either so it's not like the heater was trying to cool the car.

Before I speak to them again I was hoping some of you could check what your heater/climate is doing to see if what I'm getting is correct.

Thanks

This may or may not help you, but I half think that my W213 has the same behaviour, and it surprised me last winter and again now it's cold outside. That is:

* When the car is trying to warm up the interior, all the vents blow nice and warm.
* However, when the interior is up to temperature, the centre vents blow cold.
* If you turn the temperature up, centre vents go back to warm until the car reaches that temperature.

(As I say, I'm not sure of this, but maybe I'll check more carefully next time I'm in the car.)

It's as if the intent is to both warm the car, AND provide some fresh air to your face at the same time, whilst keeping warm air going to the side windows. You can understand that that might be regarded as a "good" thing (maybe even pretty clever), especially given that you can shut off those centre vents separately with manual controls (little round knobs in my car; maybe different in yours).

All in all though, I find that this sometimes makes the car seem a bit "cold and drafty" even when the temperature is set quite high (23-24C), and it seems you might be experiencing the same thing.

Mine exhibits the same behaviour.

I deem it normal based on the above.

Bit of an update. The car is due to go back in next week as they seem to have managed to break the ILS system and the heater, in my opinion, is still not working correctly. Last night I drove it for about 45 minutes and even with the auto climate set at 26 degrees I was still wearing a thick coat and a fleece over a polo shirt and felt cold. Last winter I was happily driving around the Alps with the system set to about 21 degrees and was having to take my coat off once the car had warmed up. Last night it was 10 degrees outside according to the temp gauge.

Set to manual the air that comes out of the vents is very hot so the heater is working but you end up with either hot feet or hot hands and face as there is not a setting to have it blow to the feet and face vents.

Mine is a 2016 S212 E350 Bluetec and the aircon works perfectly and does not display the issues you report.

Back to the dealer I guess.

Robin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom