E Class 2020 Facelift Intelligent Light System beam pattern request

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Karson3270

Car
E Class Saloon
Hi All,

After 4 months of constant discussions and 5 visits to 2 different Mercedes Benz dealers across the North West, I am still having troubles with my light system.

Long story short, my dipped beams seem to have the raised part of the light on the right side, which would fail it's MOT given it would be dazzling oncoming traffic. In the UK, the raised part of the dipped beam should be on the left side of the light pattern.

I wanted to request from the guys with the new E Class 2020 facelift models to post a pic of your beam patterns along with settings on your vehicle as mine are quite clearly wrong after several visits to the garage, but garages seem to think it's fine. For example, mine is below:

Intelligent Light System: On
Dipped Beam Setting: Left-side Traffic
unnamed (1).jpg

Link below for those who cannot see it for whatever reason:

Your help is much appreciated!

Hi, i could be wrong, however, don't the lights change pattern when the lights sense an oncoming vehicle?. Have you driven during darkness to see if oncoming vehicles are indeed dazzled.

Hi, i could be wrong, however, don't the lights change pattern when the lights sense an oncoming vehicle?. Have you driven during darkness to see if oncoming vehicles are indeed dazzled.
This is correct, when you have adaptive high beam assist on, but this is normal dipped beams.

Yes I have tried this and I do in fact have drivers flashing at me from oncoming traffic. When I am behind vehicles I can see the beam pattern is raised high on the right also.

Are we talking about the halos on the white board here ?

Are we talking about the halos on the white board here ?
No the part below that. If you look, the beam pattern raises towards the right, as opposed to the left which is UK specific. See below:

twenty20beampattern.jpg

Mine is like the photo above. 2017 c207 e350. I'll try n get a picture in the morning.

Pointing slightly uphill. 20210216_065004.jpg

6 foot from car infront.

Attachments

• 20210216_065219.jpg
    20210216_065219.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
Thanks mate! This is very helpful!

Any others from anyone else will also be very helpful!

Thanks all!

I'll try and get a level one against a wall tonight. Oh err missus !!!

my dipped beams seem to have the raised part of the light on the right side, which would fail it's MOT given it would be dazzling oncoming traffic.
As a suggestion, why not take the car to an independent MOT Test Station and ask them to verify the headlamp aim / beam pattern with their beam tester?

If they say it's non-compliant then you would have evidence to support your suspicions; if, however, they say it's ok then you can rest easy.

As a suggestion, why not take the car to an independent MOT Test Station and ask them to verify the headlamp aim / beam pattern with their beam tester?

If they say it's non-compliant then you would have evidence to support your suspicions; if, however, they say it's ok then you can rest easy.
They have "fixed the situation" the 3rd time I took the vehicle into the garage and this was the response from the technician:

"The headlamp level calibration was re-performed and headlamp levels checked on the MOT ramp against the headlamp aimer, all was in order."

However as you can clearly see from the pictures, this is not in order.

However as you can clearly see from the pictures, this is not in order.
I'm unconvinced. Beam patterns are incredibly difficult to interpret by the old "point the lights at the wall" method, due to the very sharp cut-offs employed by modern projector lamps.

You are disputing what the Mercedes-Benz dealer has told you, and that's absolutely fine: you could be right and they wrong - but absent hard evidence, it's "just" your opinion and will go nowhere.

You need to have an independent calibration test performed and take it from there.

Reactions: Ted
I'm unconvinced. Beam patterns are incredibly difficult to interpret by the old "point the lights at the wall" method, due to the very sharp cut-offs employed by modern projector lamps.

You are disputing what the Mercedes-Benz dealer has told you, and that's absolutely fine: you could be right and they wrong - but absent hard evidence, it's "just" your opinion and will go nowhere.

You need to have an independent calibration test performed and take it from there.

I have to agree, this needs adjusting with proper equipment otherwise theres no hope you can get it correct 'by eye'

Does it work ok if you completely disable ILS system via the menu & switch headlights from Auto to On with the dial?

I get your point, I have switched from a 2019 E Class Coupe to 2020 Saloon and noticed the difference immediately. I will book an appointment with an independent garage and see if they can get some hard evidence for me

I have to agree, this needs adjusting with proper equipment otherwise theres no hope you can get it correct 'by eye'

Does it work ok if you completely disable ILS system via the menu & switch headlights from Auto to On with the dial?
If I completely disable the ILS system then the raised part is always present as opposed to only being raised as and when needed. Still on the right side

This is correct, when you have adaptive high beam assist on, but this is normal dipped beams.

Yes I have tried this and I do in fact have drivers flashing at me from oncoming traffic. When I am behind vehicles I can see the beam pattern is raised high on the right also.
I have a 03/2017 E220D SE with the same problem. It said on the options list from the dealer (bought used in Jan 2021) that I have the adaptive LED lights, and I keep getting flashed all the time. I noticed that I don't have a front fog light selection on my fog lights button and don't see any front fogs, which leads me to believe that yes I do have the LED lights and they simply don't workjthe way they are supposed to. seem to get a lot of trucks flash me, possibly because the driver sits much higher than their headlights and the Merc LED's are only identifying where the oncoming lights are, not where the driver is sitting!?

OP, Maybe you are comparing apples with oranges?

The raised/lowered beam was a simple way of avoiding dazzle but the Mercedes ILS starts with a blank piece of paper to solve the problem.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom