E class 220 CDI 2013- Jerky Gearbox

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bradley Cooper

Car
E Class 220
Dear All,

I would like to ask for your help, I have recently purchased an E Class 220 CDI, 2013 with the 7G Gearbox.

I have noticed at certain time- mainly low speeds going down and hill, or bumpy roads. the car jerks in 2nd gear and the REV counter is up and down between, 1,000&2,000 RPM, it's like the car is stalling. I have returned it back to Mercedes and they have the software updated the gearbox and done something called adaption (non-techie). The car is smoother,however, the jerks are still there.

Their engineer can't find a fault, so is this the characteristics of the car ?.

Thoughts/Ideas, please.

Thanks

Brad

I have a similar but intermittent issue with my 320d. A couple of times it kangaroos and iI wasn't sure if it was the bumps causing it or if my foot pressure moving with the jerks. Mine drives perfect apart from once every several weeks. I just put some injector cleaner through it to see if that helps....

I have the same car.

However I haven't had that before. There were times when it likes to rev a bit more (3k rpm) on second gear before changing to third even on Economy mode. I am thinking it's to do with regen. It doesn't go up and down like you said though.

It seems when in this second gear, is the issue. Mercedes feel they have done all the can. Might need a second opinion or return the car.

Regeneration of the DPF. I think sometimes the car attempts to hold the revs up high to get the temperature up. I am not sure if a good spirited drive or a long run on the motorway will rectify your problem. Good luck.

Brad - do you know if the ATF has ever been changed? If the car has done 40k or more miles, it'd be worth getting it done if not done previously.

Thanks Gordon, I did ask MB this, they said only if the car is 5 years old, or the mileage was 117k.

They used to recommend a fluid change every 38k miles - might be worth getting it done.

Thanks, I did ask- they will at my cost, they feel is does not need it. Should have bought the Audi A6.

I have a similar but intermittent issue with my 320d. A couple of times it kangaroos and iI wasn't sure if it was the bumps causing it or if my foot pressure moving with the jerks. Mine drives perfect apart from once every several weeks. I just put some injector cleaner through it to see if that helps....

Thanks, I did ask- they will at my cost, they feel is does not need it. Should have bought the Audi A6.

Update on my own concerns......
A very kind local member on here came around and did a STAR diagnostic on my 320 CDI. No gearbox issues at all, the only issue that came up was intermittent problem with O2 Sensor. Seems these should probably be changed more often than we tend to, so am hopeful this is a simple fix to eradicate the dodgy acceleration (intermittent as it is).

Thank you, I have moved into another E Class, and had software,updated and this process called adaption.:):):)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom