E class 220 cdi heavy on urban fuel consumption

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Too low me thinks unless you are on very short journeys and the engine is not getting up to temp, otherwise check out the thermostat. OK so I see from your other post that you have had the thermostat changed, does it get up to temp? if so how many miles vs time?

Last edited:
Air filter and stat

gets up to about 90 degrees on gauge.. maf sensor checked too..the car normally does a 3 miles round trip in morning but is drove very easily..on a half hour run round town it will still only register 24 mpg at most

Air filter is the big one
Other then they great a star test to check all ok with her she should be doing a lot better then that

will this star test find a fault even if nothing is coming up on the car malfunctions?

what is your mpg - you said your av mph is 20mph, suggest a lot of town driving. i would not be expecting a lot of mpg around towns, the official figures seems to be more realistic on motorways or on a run, but not urban

"Urban" is too broad a term. Don't forget your economy is 0mpg when stationary. Take the car for a good hard (but legal) thrash to clear out the tubes, then see what you get on a clear motorway run at a steady 65-70mph. If you can't get mid 40s or better (for a saloon), something is amiss.

the average mph is 20 which it reads at 23 mpg.. on a long run it will do early 40s.. what is a good town mpg for a car like this.. I understand that this is a big car but early 20s driven conservatively is not good in my book..

just read this thread and I have just returned frm a journey across rural roads in my e 320 1999 and have seen a mpg of 40 ! according to the computer .

I can only dream of that ricardo.. mine on that type of run would be about 28 max .. my cousin has an s 320 and is getting early 30s on that type of run that's why I'm so mystified about mine..

I can only dream of that ricardo.. mine on that type of run would be about 28 max .. my cousin has an s 320 and is getting early 30s on that type of run that's why I'm so mystified about mine..
Mind you I drive like an old codger !! I use the accelerator like its an egg shell! and as much as poss use cruise control , I assume its better to let the computer do the driving , and on a long a road I do 65 mph max on cruise .

I would drive similar to you.. put not seeing same results:'( I have booked car in to get it put on star in 2 weeks..see what it says

I would drive similar to you.. put not seeing same results:'( I have booked car in to get it put on star in 2 weeks..see what it says
hope you get to bottom of it , I love driving and seeing the mpg creep up and up the futher I go ,its like a kind of game to see the max I can get , I kid you not on a long run on the a12 from Colchester to southend I once managed to get it showing 46 mpg at the end of journey all on the cruise and I doubt I hit the brake pedal once in the whole 60 miles if I was coming up behind a slower car I flicked cruise off to slow and then flicked it back on 2 overtake but this was with it being set at 63 mph ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom