E class 220 cdi heavy on urban fuel consumption

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnbhoy7

hi folks.. I have a e class 220 cdi which is only doing 23 mpg around town..it has had a full service, thermostat replaced, gearbox oil change and injectors test.. 1 injector is reading a wee bit more than the rest. the gear change when accelerated hard is very sloppy with a sudden judder when changing 3 rd to 4th but not all the time.. I cleaned the auxiliary battery terminals and it did seem to go better but then it went back to normal..please help as I love the car but about afford to run it..I'm getting 120 miles for £40 at 1.43 per litre..thanks

I've got a e270 CID w211 estate with manual 6 speed gearbox. It's done 173k with fsh and around town I get between 30-35 and 45-48 on a run. I'd say your certainly experiencing an mpg problem there. On the injector test, were you recommended to change it?

Round town? what town?

Take your car out on the motorway, reset the obc and sit at 60mpg for 10 miles and see what you get.

Also, what 220 cdi? saloon? estate? sport with 265 tyres or an elegance on 205 wide tyres?
Short (ie less than 10 miles or 20 minute) journeys?

Need more info.

it a saloon avantgarde.. the mechanic wasn't sure about the injector test as it was his first time doing it.. on the motorway it'll do 43 mpg have booked it in for star test.. when car is idling the average mpg decreases quite rapidly..

it a saloon avantgarde.. the mechanic wasn't sure about the injector test as it was his first time doing it.. on the motorway it'll do 43 mpg have booked it in for star test.. when car is idling the average mpg decreases quite rapidly..

Of course it does...you are going nowhere and using fuel.

I don't have time to do the maths...you say you used £40 of fuel at £1.43 per litre...it would be nice if when asking this sort of question you could go to the bother of doing the calculation yourself...HOW MANY LITRES IS THAT?

change air filter first have you driven it in anger lately on motorway it will clean all the crud from small trips

as I said earlier it has full service including filters.. it gets a motorway run of about 15 miles once a week so I presume this is ok..28 litres approx.. I'm new to this so I would appreciate a little lee way..thanks

as I said earlier it has full service including filters.. it gets a motorway run of about 15 miles once a week so I presume this is ok..28 litres approx.. I'm new to this so I would appreciate a little lee way..thanks

If "round town" means you are in heavy congestion then its not too surprising..
On a typical run to work (10 miles) in rush hour traffic I can have 28 - 29 mpg..Your car is heavier than mine don't forget.
Yet on a decent long run its quite usual for me to get 53mpg and if I REALLY try then 64mpg.

As Renault12ts says its totally normal for the consumption indicator to decrease when idling.. Do remember then when you are ticking over and stationary you are doing 0 (ZERO) MPG !!!

Again as gIzzE says try resetting the trip computer once you are underway and your engine has warmed up, and you will se quite a difference in average mpg readings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom