E Class 220 cdi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Godfrey

Car
211 320cdi Elegance estate, Soon to be sold RR Vouge, Defender, Triumph Daytona and Thunderbird
Did around 300 dual carriageway miles yesterday and got overtaken by a 2012 E 220 cdi saloon. Followed it for a few miles and noticed it's pick up was almost as quick as our 07 E 320 cdi Estate. I had a loan of a standard E250cdi sport saloon car for a week and know that that was not as swift in the 80/90mph region as our car and wondered if the 220 is tuneable enough to be comparable to the three litre diesel, or if the car in question had been deliberately under badged?

Godfrey said:
Did around 300 dual carriageway miles yesterday and got overtaken by a 2012 E 220 cdi saloon. Followed it for a few miles and noticed it's pick up was almost as quick as our 07 E 320 cdi Estate. I had a loan of a standard E250cdi sport saloon car for a week and know that that was not as swift in the 80/90mph region as our car and wondered if the 220 is tuneable enough to be comparable to the three litre diesel, or if the car in question had been deliberately under badged?

Not the easiest post to respond to!

This side of the legal limit I'd be surprised if 250 felt any slower or less urgent than a 320. No doubt as you move up towards 100mph things will start the favour the 320.

However following another car is not enough of an exact science to compare too closely in my opinion.

I'd have thought the chances of someone badging a 350 or 250 as a 220 were nil, but there's always one to prove the rule maybe.

If the 250 you tried felt a little sluggish, was it very low miles?

A 220 can be mapped to match or slightly better a 250 but only by the smallest of margins.

IME you need +100bhp in a big road car to make a serious dent in performance comparisons.

Maybe the other guy was just good with the changes and reading the road. Its a slow box in auto guise, but if you know how to fettle it the pick up is surprising.

Were you loaded up? There's a major weight difference between a V6 S211 loaded up (with full tank?) and an empty I4 W212 (nearly empty tank?).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom