E class 280CDi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Monkeylegend

MB Enthusiast
Car
2015 F10 528i BMW, 2013 Citroen C3 Picasso,
Looking to possibly change to an '09 plate 280CDi. Would welcome any feedback on these re running costs, fuel economy reliability issues etc.

Would run this as a chauffeur vehicle doing approx 90k miles pa to replace my '07 220 CDI which has been very reliable and averaging 47ish mpg.

Is the 280 that much more economical than the 320CDi?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

90k p/a.

It probably will go through an inlet shut off port motor in its time with you. Not life threatening but a £600 bill, for a replacement.

280cdi/320cdi. economy not much in it, but around town expect it to use more fuel. On motorways etc, there is sod all in it. I averaged 45mpg coming back from Londong to Scotland using the M1, A1, A66, M6, M74

Thw 280cdi is a little smoother so I have heard but the 320cdi quite more powerful. Depeneds what you want, if its quietness and smoothness, there is nowt wrong with either as both are hushed, and the 280cdi is more than ample as a 220cdi is ample.

I'd maybe opt for elegance or AG trim. AG brings xenons which are lovely for night time driving, but elegance comes with softer suspension and for doing chauffer work, comfort is the game.

I dont rate the 7g box as much as the 5g one, and as such there is another big lure for getting a 220cdi.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your comments,how do you find the ride comfort on your 320 sport compared to the 220?

I have had some adverse feedback re the ride comfort on the new E class, people saying it is generally stiffer than the old AG. This is not an issue with my old AG spec.

I am not to impressed with the interior materials on the new car either so am considering a late 280 as an alternative. The old car feels better put together based on my limited experience of the new model.

Agree with you re AG spec particularly Zenons, I would not want to go back to the elegance spec.

A small drop in fuel economy is not a problem but wouldn't want to drop below 45 mpg. I have driven both the 280 and 320 and the engine is much more refined then the 220 so this appeals to me.

The one downside is a reduced warranty if I go for the older vehicle.

According to the official figures, there is nothing in it re: fuel economy between the 280 and 320 so I wouldn't make that a deciding factor. All else being equal, the 320 is probably a better bet as you get more oomph for the same fuel consumption. Conversely, perhaps the less stressed 280 is a better long term bet?

I switched recently from a 220 to a 280 and there is only a few mpg difference - I do mostly town running. The V6 280 is MUCH nicer to drive in town than the 4 banger 220. When I changed from the 220, I just wanted the V6 smooothness. If a 320 had been available, I'd have gone for it over a 280 but I don't feel short-changed in any way with the 280's power/performance.

Hello

My dad has kept his S211 for 7 years and so so wanted to like the new estate however like you he just isn't that impressed and spending £50 - £55K on a car you should be happy with it...

I would think for what your using it for a E280Cdi would be great, as mentioned maybe elegance spec for a smoother ride, or ********** but 16" wheels.

I don't know what the fuel difference will be like on a E280 / E320 but doubt it much and you may find more choice and higer spec E320's.

Not sure if you would get 45mpg on a 7 speed E320cdi, mine seems to do 45mpg on any run out of town over 5 miles say, however its the IL6 engine and 5 speed auto. My neighbour also has an S211 320cdi but the 7 speed V6 and he doesn't get anything like my fuel?

Maybe its how we both drive them :)

I went from an E220 to E280 back in 07. As you point out there is little wrong with the 220 on the move, but it does rather sound a little 'taxi' at a standstill!
The 280 is just a bit sweeter as an engine than the 320 but without the big low down grunt of the latter. The power of either is more than adequate. Both engine and gearbox are big steps up in refinement from the 220.
My 280 estate used to see 47mpg on long runs, but my wife would only get low 30's on comuting into the city. Oddly the current ML gets almost that now:dk:
I agree the car feels better built than the 212 cars I have driven and the ride on Avantgarde cars is just fine on 16 and 18" wheels. A sport spec car I had as a loan car for a week was much harsher and I was glad to get back to my own.
Never had a single issue in 40k miles.

I would steer clear of sport options if I were you. They're great but I think you'll find the ride too hard for your clients. I'd be inclined to go for the 320 for the extra ooomph on those days when you're on your own. :)

Surely with your mileage and the role the car will play you don't need to look further than a similar year 220CDi [167bhp] - have had them as loan cars and was very impressed. Only downside is that it's a 'four' rather than a 'six' but should be much more economical than the 280

Thanks for the feedback.

Looks like the 280 AG could be a good option in terms economy and ride comfort. The 220 is a good car but the added refinement of the 280 is pulling me that way. No difference in insurance either which is an added bonus. Performance is not a significant factor for me.

The 320 is probably to powerful for my needs, I can't afford to lose my licence.

How about finding an AG trim car thats got Airmatic , iv got this on mu AG and I think its great , I can have soft suspension , or harder sportier suspension . Also the car wont drop any lower when its full loaded

The 220 is a good car but the added refinement of the 280 is pulling me that way.

You sound a bit like me - I got fed up with the tractoresque racket from the 220 and I'm far, far happier with the 280.

Performance is not a significant factor for me.

Ditto - the 220's performance was not the issue, just the rumpus it made delivering it. That said, the 280 definitely offers a fair bit more shove with the difference between the 220 and 280 becoming more obvious as the speed rises.

The AG ride is a good balance between comfort and handling I think. It may just be rose tinted glasses, but I feel the ride quality on the 280 is slighter more compliant than the 220 too. I swapped the 17" wheels on mine for 16". It didn't make much difference to the ride quality to be honest, as I think that is determined more by the basic set up of the suspension. I did notice less tramlining under braking and slightly 'softer' turn in on the corners. Oh, and as a Scotsman, I also noticed how much cheaper the 16" tyres were!

You sound a bit like me - I got fed up with the tractoresque racket from the 220 and I'm far, far happier with the 280.

Ditto - the 220's performance was not the issue, just the rumpus it made delivering it. That said, the 280 definitely offers a fair bit more shove with the difference between the 220 and 280 becoming more obvious as the speed rises.

The AG ride is a good balance between comfort and handling I think. It may just be rose tinted glasses, but I feel the ride quality on the 280 is slighter more compliant than the 220 too. I swapped the 17" wheels on mine for 16". It didn't make much difference to the ride quality to be honest, as I think that is determined more by the basic set up of the suspension. I did notice less tramlining under braking and slightly 'softer' turn in on the corners. Oh, and as a Scotsman, I also noticed how much cheaper the 16" tyres were!

The V6 is 100kg heavier, it will be on different springs to a 220cdi car.

I liked the 212 a lot, a choice between the 220cdi in a 212 and a 280cdi in a 211 is a tough choice.

The 212 in my mind is a lot nicer to drive and has a better cabin and its more solid. Where its poorer is the seating. It rides and handles a lot better than a 211, its a big jump up and the twin turbo BE engines give lower down poke than the previous 4's, but they are gruff as anything unlike the V6 cars.

A 280cdi AG would be a really good choice of car, and plenty to choose from, so why not for the OP.

How about finding an AG trim car that's got Airmatic , iv got this on mu AG and I think its great , I can have soft suspension , or harder sportier suspension . Also the car wont drop any lower when its full loaded

Is this the same system as the S Class. have heard some horror stories about cost of shocks, ie £2k for a pair of rear shocks fitted at a main dealer.

The ride quality of my current AG has never been an issue on 16" wheels.

Looks like a 280 AG is beckoning :)

Thanks for all your input guy's (and gals)

280 AG is great - and very smooth on 16s. MPG-wise, I've seen 47mpg on a mixed run, 40mpg today on 120 miles of brisk but not stupid motorway driving and 50mpg yesterday when I took my time on a motorway run - more like 60-65mph-ish. Round town hacking with the engine mostly cold I get c. 30mpg.

The cost of replacment parts can be expensive ,
Mine got a set of rear shocks before I bought it and they cost around 800 euro fitted .
The front struts cost around 1500 euro each , though theres a company in the US can rebuild them for around $400 each .

Wow, 90,000 a year is quite a lot - I manage to do "only" 60k a year.

Will you be doing a lot of driving on the continent? I suspect the extra power from the E320 CDi will be useful with the higher speed limits and the hilly motorways. I just got back from the south of France, where mine made light work maintaining the speed limit with a full load on board without pushing the engine too much.

The ride on the (Avantgarde) 17" is more firmer/tauter than the 16" (pre-facelift) I used to have, but it's still not bad, it's not uncomfortable, and the newer one does feel a little sharper to drive.

If you can afford it, I'd go for the E320 CDi over the E280 CDi, after all with that mileage you're doing, I expect you'd be in the car, driving for at least eight hours a day, may as well have some fun when you're on your own, as mentioned. With the mileage, you probably won't be doing much town work anyway.

Also leaving the gearbox in comfort mode, also helps if you're concerned it's too powerful.

Wow, 90,000 a year is quite a lot - I manage to do "only" 60k a year.

Will you be doing a lot of driving on the continent? I suspect the extra power from the E320 CDi will be useful with the higher speed limits and the hilly motorways. I just got back from the south of France, where mine made light work maintaining the speed limit with a full load on board without pushing the engine too much.

The ride on the (Avantgarde) 17" is more firmer/tauter than the 16" (pre-facelift) I used to have, but it's still not bad, it's not uncomfortable, and the newer one does feel a little sharper to drive.

If you can afford it, I'd go for the E320 CDi over the E280 CDi, after all with that mileage you're doing, I expect you'd be in the car, driving for at least eight hours a day, may as well have some fun when you're on your own, as mentioned. With the mileage, you probably won't be doing much town work anyway.

Also leaving the gearbox in comfort mode, also helps if you're concerned it's too powerful.

Not concerned about the power factor, it's all controlled by the right pedal, and the need not to scare my customers too much :)

All my driving /work is UK based, the majority around the London airports and Suffolk with some trips into central London.

I have convinced myself to go for the 3 litre diesel for the extra refinement, based on the feedback on here. Heart says 320, head says 280, so will start the search for an '09 model within the next few weeks.

If your doing a lot of start/stop short(ish) journeys I personally think you will feel the pain of moving from a 220 to a 280, I tend to do a lot of short journeys myself (Staines >< Heathrow) and can often see between 24-30 mpg depending on how I drive.

Definitely don't go for a sport model as the ride will almost definitely be too harsh for your clients.

Last edited:
Most of my jobs are 100 mile plus mostly motorway/dual carriageway cruising so should hopefully get mid 40's mpg.

I can probably buy an '09 older model for £5/6k cheaper than the new model. I would need to get a big increase in fuel economy to recover that amount of money over 3 years.

I take your point re the sports suspension, so I will stick with the AG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom