E-Class 350d 2017 W213 9g tronic transmission Torque Convertor going bad?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PlasT0R

Car
E-Class 350d 2017 AMG Line
Hello ,hope you all well.

Unfortunatley ,i've notice another sound and i hope is not the gearbox.

While driving between 20mph and 40 mph ,that is on 3rd gear to 5th gear i hear a clicking noise, as soon as i'm speeding up can't hear it anymore.
I don't know exactly how other cars perform when changing the gears ,but mine jarring a bit when changing between 3rd to 5th. It could be the torque convertor?
If i press the kickdown the gears are really smooth ,can't even feel them change which is wierd compared driving with 30 to 45 mph.

On idle mode the clicking noise is not present, when i disengage the gearbox from the engine while driving the clicking noise is not present either. When i switch the gear from P to D is start moving so i don't see that the torque convertor is bad ,i cannot figure it out.
The clicking noise is louder when driving next to a wall with that speed .

Any ideas what it might be from your experience?

Forgot to mention that when kickdown from 4th gear to 5th gear,4th gear goes up to 4500rpms and then is the gearbox changes to 5th.

Hi . How many miles on this car and has the gearbox ever been serviced ?
The car is got 47k miles ,i spoke with the dealer if the oil was changed and said that they haven't because needs to be 5 years old or 77500 miles ,but the car is already 5 years old.

The car is got 47k miles ,i spoke with the dealer if the oil was changed and said that they haven't because needs to be 5 years old or 77500 miles ,but the car is already 5 years old.

OK , not sure about the noise , but if the gearbox service is due...it's due.

Did you put all of these 47K miles on the car from new ?
No ,i have bought the car from dealer approved used last month. I have booked a diagnostic with them and i hope (pretty sure) 😅 they will say nothing is wrong with the car. Is under warranty 12 months.

The car is registered on 2017 3rd of April.
So yeah past 5 years and you might be right,they own me a oil change. But i want to see/understand the clicknoise ,because if the problem is from.gearbox and having a oilchange that will be prob pointless ,hopefully is not one of the gears broke. I'm really confused.

This is not correct, I have the same car, same year, MB UK have confirmed in an email to me, that atf change Is due at 77500, and NOT at 5years/77500.

But people’s opinion is at one should do the ATF at 5 years, regardless of what MB says, so I will be doing mine at the 5 year point.

Have to say, I have no issues whatsoever with my box.

Also to add, on the ESS for my car, it doesn’t show up at 5years, but does show up on 7years. I think because MB changes the rules on this so often, even the dealers don’t know, or are getting confused themselves.

Well ,when i'm changing the oil hopefully the noise will go away. Is the torque convertor uses dif oil than gearbox oil?

The car is registered on 2017 3rd of April.
So yeah past 5 years and you might be right,they own me a oil change. But i want to see/understand the clicknoise ,because if the problem is from.gearbox and having a oilchange that will be prob pointless ,hopefully is not one of the gears broke. I'm really confused.
Surely the car is just over 4 years old🤔

The TC is full of the same oil as is in the gearbox everything is in the same fluid this is one of the reasons high mileage transmissions that have not been serviced fail . The particles from the wear on the clutches and moving parts are suspended in the fluid and contaminate the submerged electronics/solenoids , block up tiny channels in the labyrinth etc, the fluid loses its properties over time and mileage.

A full transmission service done properly will remove and replace almost all of the ATF in the transmission and add a new filter. Yours is not high mileage and there is a possibility that even after a service the 'clicking' noise will still be there.

Someone else put the 47K on the car and you have no transmission service history. If it were my car i would get the transmission serviced.

I did exactly that when I bought my C55, the gearbox service history was a bit 'sketchy' so I just got it done soon after buying the car. It's not expensive for the peace of mind it brings.

The TC is full of the same oil as is in the gearbox everything is in the same fluid this is one of the reasons high mileage transmissions that have not been serviced fail . The particles from the wear on the clutches and moving parts are suspended in the fluid and contaminate the submerged electronics/solenoids , block up tiny channels in the labyrinth etc, the fluid loses its properties over time and mileage.

A full transmission service done properly will remove and replace almost all of the ATF in the transmission and add a new filter. Yours is not high mileage and there is a possibility that even after a service the 'clicking' noise will still be there.

Someone else put the 47K on the car and you have no transmission service history. If it were my car i would get the transmission serviced.

I did exactly that when I bought my C55, the gearbox service history was a bit 'sketchy' so I just got it done soon after buying the car. It's not expensive for the peace of mind it brings.
Being the car bought from main Dealership,i thought they might have change it before selling it. I'll check the oil on the booked date i made to the dealership.

I'd check out the propshaft for the clicking. Sure it's still rotating when in D and rolling but without any (drive or braking) torque.

Don't know the set-up on yours, but I cured hard upshifts on mine by reconnecting the MAF sensor. My point is that transmissions read from engine sensors (for their upshifting strategies) so worth getting them scanned.

They will not have done it unless it was due on the service schedule and as you may have already gathered from some of the post on here it is not always clear cut as to when it must be done (I am sure someone somewhere out there knows...or thinks they know) .

I am not sure if your transmission fell into the (lie that was) 'sealed for life' which was then changed to ...'oh ..OK it does needs a service' It is my understanding that during this time many gearboxes that needed a service fell through the gaps in the timing of the service policy changing.

In my humble opinion spending days , even weeks trying to find out the truth of the service needs/history is not worth the hassle and risk of damaging the transmission for the sake of £300/350 service.

They will not have done it unless it was due on the service schedule and as you may have already gathered from some of the post on here it is not always clear cut as to when it must be done (I am sure someone somewhere out there knows...or thinks they know) .

I am not sure if your transmission fell into the (lie that was) 'sealed for life' which was then changed to ...'oh ..OK it does needs a service' It is my understanding that during this time many gearboxes that needed a service fell through the gaps in the timing of the service policy changing.

In my humble opinion spending days , even weeks trying to find out the truth of the service needs/history is not worth the hassle and risk of damaging the transmission for the sake of £300/350 service.
I don't know if changing the oil and filter will coat me or not under warranty,but like u said for the sake of 300 pounds.

I'd check out the propshaft for the clicking. Sure it's still rotating when in D and rolling but without any (drive or braking) torque.

Don't know the set-up on yours, but I cured hard upshifts on mine by reconnecting the MAF sensor. My point is that transmissions read from engine sensors (for their upshifting strategies) so worth getting them scanned.
I was thinking about that, i do have a click noise when parked with the engine warm ,while accelerating its clicking ,but as far as i know that is the electric and mechanical valve inside the dpf. To help reduce the noxs. But while driving that clicknoise is different then the other one

I was thinking about that, i do have a click noise when parked with the engine warm ,while accelerating its clicking ,but as far as i know that is the electric and mechanical valve inside the dpf. To help reduce the noxs. But while driving that clicknoise is different then the other one
Maybe have to get it up on a ramp to investigate. Odd noises can be a proper swine to pinpoint! More likely something simple external to the box - a handbrake cable catching on the propshaft is a foible of one particular MB when the retaining clip breaks.

If I were you I'd give the hard up-shifts some thought. It is hard (mechanically) on the gearbox and points to running at higher than necessary line pressure. A 9-speed MB box should be silky smooth - no?

Maybe have to get it up on a ramp to investigate. Odd noises can be a proper swine to pinpoint! More likely something simple external to the box - a handbrake cable catching on the propshaft is a foible of one particular MB when the retaining clip breaks.

If I were you I'd give the hard up-shifts some thought. It is hard (mechanically) on the gearbox and points to running at higher than necessary line pressure. A 9-speed MB box should be silky smooth - no?
It should be smooth,but is a bit lumpy only on 3rd and 4th .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom