E Class All-Terrain 350d vs 400d

db1001

Car
Volvo V6 Twin Engine
I am considering buying an E-Class All Terrain. I have a choice of a late 2017 E350d 4Matic or a 2019 E400d 4Matic.

I know that the 400d has more power. Can anyone say whether they think it is a better engine than the 350d? Is it similarly economical? The price of the 350d is lower (as the car is older) and I prefer the colour but I had originally set out to get a 400d.

OP
OP
D

db1001

Car
Volvo V6 Twin Engine
Sorry - this ended up in the wrong forum - I cannot work out how to delete or move it. I will post it again in the General forum

m2mb

SUPPORTER
Car
E220 CDI 2008, E220d 2019
I would also check optional items via the vins.
The newer one will also have more boxes ticked ex-factory regarding electronics (eg remote locking-unlocking of the car, remote windows closing etc).

br1anuk

Car
E350 Bluetec Estate
I was talking to a chauffeur who drives S Classes every day. He told me the old V6 is a much better engine and the new one uses a lot of oil, is not as smooth as more recalls. He also said the chauffeur S Classes are all switching over to petrol because of the congestion zones.

unimog

SUPPORTER
Car
W203 C350, AMG GT63s Coupe 4dr
The OM656 in line 6 is a superior engine to its predecessor in every way, more economical, lighter, more power and torque. As far as I can look up it hasn't been subject any recalls so far unlike the newer 2.0 unit in the 3 years since it was introduced. I have not driven a Superdiesel, only the standard single turbo/supercharged 282hp version, and thats a belter. And I dont like diesel cars anymore.

All new engines have a specific oil consumption, they are designed to do so to keep sulphated ash levels (particulates) under control by allowing the engine to burn of harmful deposits in the engine oil. 1/2 litre of oil into a 9 litre sump every 4-5000 miles is not a lot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom