E Class Auto Estate queries.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Car
December 2005 C220CDI Estate Auto
Hi again all. As per my topic title !!
I currently run a very late December 2005 C220 CDI C Class Auto estate and have been contemplating stepping up to a diesel E220 CDI E Class Auto estate circa 2004 to 2007 and have noticed that they are being advertised with 80 litre fuel tanks.
Why is this so ? when the C Class has a 62 litre tank according to the owner manual !!

Also the E Class Estate is often listed as having a 150 bhp engine - were these optional as an economy measure ?

My C Class C220 CDI has a factory ordered/fitted 170 bhp engine and regularly returns high 30's/low 40's mpg even though there is very little motorway driving.

The E Auto Estate class can more often than not be found with a few specification features that mine is sadly lacking and could cost dearly to have installed/added into mine.

IMG-20210406-WA0005.jpg

Hi again all. As per my topic title !!
I currently run a very late December 2005 C220 CDI C Class Auto estate and have been contemplating stepping up to a diesel E220 CDI E Class Auto estate circa 2004 to 2007 and have noticed that they are being advertised with 80 litre fuel tanks.
Why is this so ? when the C Class has a 62 litre tank according to the owner manual !!

Also the E Class Estate is often listed as having a 150 bhp engine - were these optional as an economy measure ?

My C Class C220 CDI has a factory ordered/fitted 170 bhp engine and regularly returns high 30's/low 40's mpg even though there is very little motorway driving.

The E Auto Estate class can more often than not be found with a few specification features that mine is sadly lacking and could cost dearly to have installed/added into mine.

View attachment 117397

The 80l tank is standard on the E500's like mine. I think it was a cost option on some other models.

The E Class is seen as being a superior model to the C Class etc.

It will often have a greater range of features as standard and with a wider range of options.

Mine has the 80 litre fuel fitted.

The E Class Auto estates that I have been pondering have been the E 220 CDI's and some of the 320 Avantgard V6's and a couple of the 5 cylinder in line.
I've no idea about any of those models - all I'm saying is that there were two different sizes of fuel tanks on 211's.

The larger one was optional on some and standard on others (eg mine).

You asked "why is this so?" and I'm explaining what I know.

I've no idea about any of those models - all I'm saying is that there were two different sizes of fuel tanks on 211's.

The larger one was optional on some and standard on others (eg mine).

You asked "why is this so?" and I'm explaining what I know.

if my memory from when I ordered an E270 estate as a company car way back in ‘04 is correct, then the 80 litre tank came with the avantgarde trim pack, and possibly elegance as well. Though I don’t know anyone who ordered an elegance as the cost was the same as the avantgarde, but that came with xenon headlights!

long range fuel tank was an option on the e class mine has it on the original options list costs lots £££ to top up

I had an E class 06 Avantgarde estate 320d, i had it 8 years and it drove like a dream, no problems, easily do 40+ to the gallon if thats what you are worried about, i used to go the far side of Holland and back on a full tank from Essex. A great car i would recommend them.

Go for the facelift post 2006 E,, The extras over he C will impress you and the facelift has other advantages it not having the SBC brakes being the main.

A 170 Bhp 2.2 CDI is powerful enough for me. It easily returns 46 / 47 mpg on a M'way, A road run, I've seen 57 from London to Derbyshire but that dropped to 53 on the last 30 miles over the hills. I set cruise at GPS 58 and let everyone else battle for the outer lane space.

Check MOT's, recent is best, for emission's. Injector works are going to reduce the value of these if needed.

A you know with the C the additional extras can vary massively, so prioritising what you want is going to save time. The available extras for the E will surprise you.
The E is a far better place to be than the C.

if my memory from when I ordered an E270 estate as a company car way back in ‘04 is correct, then the 80 litre tank came with the avantgarde trim pack, and possibly elegance as well. Though I don’t know anyone who ordered an elegance as the cost was the same as the avantgarde, but that came with xenon headlights!
Think people liked the Elegance for it's softer ride.
I so miss my S211 - nothing wrong with my S204, but if the correct S211 came along and it was feasible financially, I think I'd change back in a heartbeat! AvantGarde would be my choice for it's handling. Any offers? Lol

Any offers?
Maybe,
if / when I finally the the Viano back on the road.
Tbh I would prefer Mrs Me to take it on in place of her Civic, but she thinks the Civic looks more cool like.

I only got the 211 as a get my by motor while taking the engine out of the Viano, but it grew on me in no time.

I would / will miss the brake hold.

Maybe,
if / when I finally the the Viano back on the road.
Tbh I would prefer Mrs Me to take it on in place of her Civic, but she thinks the Civic looks more cool like.

I only got the 211 as a get my by motor while taking the engine out of the Viano, but it grew on me in no time.

I would / will miss the brake hold.
I'd miss brake hold too. Was surprised that my S204 has it - took me over 3 months to realise and that was only a chance comment on this forum! Must confess that when I drive the CLK I occasionally find myself giving the brake pedal an additional dab!

Reactions: m80

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom