E-Class Automatic Gear Change Issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

eagle555

Car
Mercedes E-Class 250
Hi all. I have a 2014 E-Class 250 Saloon, bought from new in Sep 14. I have had to ask the dealer on 2/3 occasions now to look at the gear shifting logic in 'Econ' mode. The car stops shifting at its normal range and allows the RPM to increase to approx 2800-3000 RPM before changing gear. During this situation I can also no longer select 'Manual' mode either by 'paddling' the shift or by selecting the manual mode through the pedestal mode selector, but I can shift up using the paddles once the RPM reaches approx 2300-2600 RPM; I can't shift down using this method! This results in a high RPM and uncomfortable acceleration! It was checked and corrected 6 months ago, but I still noticed occasions where it appeared to shift gears at higher than normal RPMs. This week it stopped working normally and is now shifting gears at just under 3000 RPM all the time; I now also have the engine diagnostic light lit on the dash. Very occasionally, I can stop the car restart it and the gears operate normally for approximately 1 min and then it reverts to this non-normal mode. The earliest I can get the car seen is on the 22 Dec. Has anybody seen this before? Thanks.

I have similar (only changes dead on 3000 rpm on a 2008 CLS 320cdi 7g tronic although it only happens every 4th or 5th drive out and only lasts for about a minute before reverting to its normal change pattern - no lights of errors. Slight inclines or corners seem to trigger it - oil has been changed at 40k intervals and correct level). It's not a biggy for me but I guess if it gets more regular or more prolonged I'll get it looked at. From my research I figured it could either be torque converter, electro plate or valve body (or a combo!)

Thanks for the info Aero.

I would check with your dealer that they are happy for you to continue driving until 22nd December with the engine diagnostic light illuminated.

It may get them to look at it earlier.

I agree with Aero that it looks like a electro plate (or maybe TC or valve body). Whatever it is you shouldn't be suffering it on a 14 month old car.

Hi! I have this problem with the 7G tronic on my 2016 C220d. Did anyone find the cause or how to fix it. For me it happens only when I use Auto Start/Stop. After several starts and stops it enters in this mode and it doesn't matter which driving profile is selected. I can also upshift with the paddle but can't downshift. If I keep the start stop disabled it never happens. I didn't notice until now if I was on an inclined plane or not. I tested today to see if it goes back into the normal mode, but it didn't after 1 hour of driving. The only temporary solution that works is to stop the car completely and start it again.

Thank you!

Here's an old trick you can do to reset the gearbox back to factory settings.
Unlock car get in do not have any electrics switched on,
Turn ignition on, do not start car.
Press accelerator to floor, hold for 20 seconds.
Turn ignition off.
Slowly release accelerator pedal.
Wait 2 mins for e c u to reset.
Remove ignition key, exit the car.
You should find the gearbox more settled and it will take up information from your particular style of driving.
Give it a go, it costs nothing.

Turn ignition off.
You should find the gearbox more settled and it will take up information from your particular style of driving.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the tip but I don't think it will help with the problem. I have found this thread with the same problem where someone posted a YouTube video explaining why it happened for a car: Transmission shifting All gears at around 2.8 rmp - Sprinter-Forum

Thanks,
Emanuel

Turn ignition off.

Does this method work on a S211 2004 build?

Cheers

See you tube, how to reset merc auto box to factory settings.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Watch video, have a go.

Don't know, but I don't think it would do any harm to give it a go.

I'll give it a go on the 207,000 miler S211 tomorrow.

Thanks for link.

I give the reset procedure a go today and the gearbox does feel as though it's acting differently. It's definitely smoother and the gearing change points have changed it seems that way anyhow.

2004 S211 207,000.00 miles. E320 CDi. :thumb:

I washed and hooverd it out also. Full of mud as our boys play football during the week and matches at weekends :doh:
It's a great work horse the S211. 7 seats would be handy though :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom