E class auxiliary battery problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DrNick

MB Enthusiast
Car
SL500
Had an issue with my W212 estate with "auxiliary battery malfunction".

This stopped the ECO function working (maybe no bad thing!) and sometimes stopped the "HOLD" function operating.

On my version this battery is located in the boot next to the spare wheel. It is reported to be in other locations depending on the model of the car, so you will need to check carefully.

This battery is about £80 from Mercedes. However, it turns out it is a motorcycle battery equivalent and available from many sources eg Ebay for about £40 (or less with a bit of pfaff)

One that is compatible is the YTX14-BS available from many manufacturers. I got one and it dropped straight in and solved the problem. Hopefully this will save some people some money as it appears to be a common problem.

Not sure how cost effective this start stop business will be if you have to replace a battery every 3 years to keep it working. How much CO2 is released in making a battery?

Not sure how cost effective this start stop business will be if you have to replace a battery every 3 years to keep it working. How much CO2 is released in making a battery?

Well done taking the sensible route to battery replacement. Good point about the emissions although it was never about the real world was it, only headline figures to reduce tax and sell cars.

I had the same warning appear on my E Class in the summer. Car was just over 2 years old at the time and I got the auxiliary battery changed under warranty, but you do wonder if it's likely to be a regular item every few years. Same symptoms - stop/start packed up. Also same location, in the spare wheel well - no spare wheel with my car, just a repair kit!

I have the battery warning light on the dash, checked my main battery charge by pressing the reset button and no problem with the main battery so suspect the auxiliary battery is at fault, but I dont seem to have any loss of functions

If its any use to anyone I just discovered this...

My ECO/Hold function wasn't working when I first bought my 2012 E350 in the autumn
I replaced the aux battery in the boot as the one in there was the original MB one dated 2012
The one I replace it with is a Enduroline YTX14-BS which comes highly recommended on the forums.

All has been well until the last couple of weeks when Hold started playing up again, and finally stopped working completely this week.

Last night I put my battery conditioner on the boot battery, though I didn't disconnect any cables.
It immediately registered a full battery but I left it on charge over night.
Today both ECO and Hold are working correctly.

So it looks like my 11 mile trip to work and 11 mile trip home again aren't enough to charge the boot battery and it will need to be topped up every now and again.

And the environmental impact/cost of recycling/disposal of the old battery units.

All for the sake of achieving targets in a test regime that everybody, including the state who mandated it knows full well is rubbish...

Glad to see there is finally some effort to correct the 'all diesels are evil polluting death machines' impression that many have been peddling.

The problem with diesel is they need expensive very regular maintenance to keep them within the manufactures limits and to stop them polluting, older ones regularly give out black smoke, ie unburnt fuel, on the other hand petrol vehicles will run with little or no maintenance and keep well within those limits. It won`t matter whether diesel cars are euro 4/5/6/7 once in the used market where many owners cannot afford this expensive servicing they will become that evil poluting diesel, petrol cars won`t.

Had an issue with my W212 estate with "auxiliary battery malfunction".

This stopped the ECO function working (maybe no bad thing!) and sometimes stopped the "HOLD" function operating.

On my version this battery is located in the boot next to the spare wheel. It is reported to be in other locations depending on the model of the car, so you will need to check carefully.

This battery is about £80 from Mercedes. However, it turns out it is a motorcycle battery equivalent and available from many sources eg Ebay for about £40 (or less with a bit of pfaff)

One that is compatible is the YTX14-BS available from many manufacturers. I got one and it dropped straight in and solved the problem. Hopefully this will save some people some money as it appears to be a common problem.

This helped me yesterday. Thank you :)

The problem with diesel is they need expensive very regular maintenance to keep them within the manufactures limits and to stop them polluting, older ones regularly give out black smoke, ie unburnt fuel, on the other hand petrol vehicles will run with little or no maintenance and keep well within those limits. It won`t matter whether diesel cars are euro 4/5/6/7 once in the used market where many owners cannot afford this expensive servicing they will become that evil poluting diesel, petrol cars won`t.

So what is this expensive servicing over a petrol that you believe exists? The DPF does not need servicing which is what removes the black soot the older cars kick out.

Diesels require the same servicing as petrols, although they don't have spark plugs to replace.

Hi all
Newbie here, purchased E 220 CDI 5 months ago from Mercedes dealership that came with so called 12 month warranty.
Rear LED unit went faulty after 6 weeks(not covered by used MB warranty)
Some auxiliary oil pump failed around 8 weeks ago(causing car to jump violently when stationary etc) but covered by warranty
Now few days ago I saw Aux Batt malfunction- Had battery tested at (halfords- who are slightly useless) & independent who stated need new battery.
With any replacement, is it simply a case of drop in & reconnect- no programming of any type required?
Should I go for Mercedes original or alternatives like Lucas or Enduroline and save a few £ as suggested here? Does anybody know if any detriment in using alternatives?

Also, is it likely that used car warranty will cover aux battery? I don't want to take it to local franchise because they initially want to charge a diagnostic fee- Don't want to pay a price similar to cost of alternative battery and then still have to buy another battery

Thanks

^ You would have to read the small print to see if an Aux battery is covered by your warranty. Personally I would doubt it as its a wear and tear item much like brake pads.
Just show the dealer the print out showing the battery falied a load test to save more diagnostics.
I would only consider a replacement from Bosch/Varta/Exide/or Banner myself. The guarantee is usually longer too.
This company are pretty competetive for batteries with next day delivery. Mercedes-Benz Car Batteries - Next Day Delivery

Also, see what the dealer can do for you price wise. They can often match, especially MB Grangemouth who sponsor the forum.

I have an aux battery on my older E class and there is no programming involved when changing it. Just remove the Neg(-) terminal first, and replace last.

Thanks for the updates guys.
Wanted to try the tayna battery but I've reluctantly ordered an original Mercedes battery from a Mercedes dealer via eBay for £76. I was just concerned with any potential future issue by not fitting an original battery. Shockingly it was £96 odd when I phoned local franchise

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom