E Class Buying advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
T

tanuie

Hi

I am investigating purchasing an E Class 400 2015 and wondered whether there was any issues regarding engines etc.

I have seen these two advertised on autotrader, any advice welcome.

Saved Adverts

Saved Adverts

The white registration number is: NX15 LCC

Look forward to replies

Thanks

The C207 E400 Coupe is a very nice car and despite its 19" wheels it rides well. You'll need to mind the kerbs though as the tyres are like rubber bands. The engine is very smooth, quiet and quick enough for most. I had mine for 4 years and it was absolutely trouble free. I've just sold it only because I fancied a change.

The engine is a variant of the tried and tested M276. The C207 E400 Coupe came either as a 3.0 or a 3.5 V6 twin turbo. They both had 333 hp and why the difference I don't know. I've driven both and I couldn't tell them apart. The later 213 E Class based coupes reverted to the 3.0 V6.

Read about the engine here and there are plenty of reviews online.

Mercedes-Benz Quietly Introduces All-New V6 Engine on CLS Facelift

My understanding is the E400 and CLS 400 do not share the same engine. Is this not the case?

The E-Class Saloon and Estate are very different cars to the E-Class Convertible and Coupe.

In 2009 MB decided that the Convertible and Coupe versions of the C-Class will now be badged as E-Class, and the CLK became E-Class Coupe.

The result is that the E-Class Coupe/Convertible is based on the C-Class (W204) Saloon whose wheelbase is narrower than the E-Class Saloon meaning it can not compete with the E-Class Saloon for ride and comfort.

Nothing wrong with the W204, I have one and I am very pleased with it, just to say that if buying an E-Class Coupe or Convertible don't expect E-Class Saloon comfort level.

My understanding is the E400 and CLS 400 do not share the same engine. Is this not the case?

I've always believed that all modern 400 petrol engines are variants of the M276. The article above (my previous post) suggests so too. The E400 used the M276 in DELA 30 and DELA 35 variants and the CLS DELA 35. My understanding too is that AMG 43 engines are just a further development of the same engine.

Nothing wrong with the W204, I have one and I am very pleased with it, just to say that if buying an E-Class Coupe or Convertible don't expect E-Class Saloon comfort level.

Yes, you're right, the C207 E Coupe is not a big car but the interior finish in the E400 is, in my view, up to E Class standard.

We’ve had our E400 cabriolet for 3 weeks now and absolutely loving it. We took it to the coast this weekend, it’s first longish fun and it was brilliant. It’s actually my wife’s car. I have an E350 estate, another great engine, but I’ve completely fallen for the 400.

You just want to floor the 350, but the 400 just wafts along, then when you want to give it the beans, it opens up and gives you the exhaust tone to go with it. I just like cruising along knowing the power is there when you need it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom