E class car thefts in Ealing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It would certanly have me worried if I lived in that area! sadly tho it a sign of the times we live in.Makes me wonder just how good the alarm systems/keyfobs are on mercs after that little read as I thought they were totaly inpregnable.A good thing tho is to fit the tracker unit as there is no doubt that you will get your car back and hopefully get the scum who stole it.

pluggers said:
It would certanly have me worried if I lived in that area! sadly tho it a sign of the times we live in.Makes me wonder just how good the alarm systems/keyfobs are on mercs after that little read as I thought they were totaly inpregnable.A good thing tho is to fit the tracker unit as there is no doubt that you will get your car back and hopefully get the scum who stole it.

They are more than likely lifting them onto the back of a truck and working on them elsewhere. The alarms are very good , but nothing it totally flawless.

Well , apart from Angie Everheart .. but in a car that is. :D

fuzzer said:
They are more than likely lifting them onto the back of a truck and working on them elsewhere. The alarms are very good , but nothing it totally flawless.

I thought they catered for this? I remember seeing something like a switch on the console with a picture of a car being lifted at one end.(tilt switch maybe)?

pluggers said:
I thought they catered for this? I remember seeing something like a switch on the console with a picture of a car being lifted at one end.(tilt switch maybe)?

Its only a tilt switch. If you get someone pretty skilled that could lift the car up gently with one of those ropes on the 4 wheel lifters. Im sure with enough practice you might be able to get away with it.

Reactions: sym
Thefts

This has been going on for ages & is well known to most who own one of these cars.The Daily Telegraph did a story on it last December http://www.**********.com/popup.cfm?p_n=128690&p_i=128690
The Mercedes Benz Club also has a thread on it. It tends to be W123 saloons & TEs which are needed for parts abroad, usually Africa. They have the roof cut off at the base of the A pillar (to save space & get more in the container).

Last edited:
Had my 230te stolen in June -taken off my drive in Enfield between 11 and 12 at night. No sign of forced entry. Car alarm wasn't working and I think that's why it was taken.

Yeah its the old W123's and W124's that are being targetted.

I'm down the road from ealing and I am extreamely cautious about where I park.

Starting these is pretty easy TBH as there is little or no security. The biggest thing to overcome is the steering lock, which apparently with practice takes a few seconds to break.

I have a very simple but effective design for a home made immobiliser if anyone is interested - Just dont patent it :rolleyes:

Only takes one dodgy parts manager at a dealer. My guess is they are simply driving away with the keys... Seen gone in 60 seconds??

fuzzer said:
Its only a tilt switch. If you get someone pretty skilled that could lift the car up gently with one of those ropes on the 4 wheel lifters. Im sure with enough practice you might be able to get away with it.

The alrm does normally go off, but when a car is on what looks like a police or council car pound truck, everyone ignores it. If they want your car, no matter what you put on it, they will take it. If a tracker is fitted, you may recover the car.....or maybe the tracker box, if you don't report it stolen for a few hours :)

Bad news. One reason I won't live anywhere without underground fortress style carpark security whilst living in the UK.

neilrr said:
It tends to be W123 saloons & TEs which are needed for parts abroad, usually Africa. They have the roof cut off at the base of the A pillar (to save space & get more in the container).

Did anyone see the TV program the 1st week in June, possibly Ch4.
Nairobi I think....There was a Police helicopter flying along side a road, montoring a Tracker receiver. The device was picking up so many signals the police could not tell signal related to which car. They estimated about 80% of cars had been stolen.

Edit:- a GPS movement sensor that activated Tracker when the engine is off would be really good.

Last edited:
PJH said:
Edit:- a GPS movement sensor that activated Tracker when the engine is off would be really good.

Is that not what Tracker Monitor (rather than Retrieve) does? If the vehicle is used without the keys, it kicks off the tracker device, and you get a phone call from Tracker to check you haven't just been rolling down your drive without starting the car up!

Edit: I know it doesn't actually use GPS, but achieves a similar result, albeit with the limitation of using Trackers radio solution rather than a GPS one (like Tracker Horizon, or NavTrak, etc)

Last edited:
Big Ed said:
Is that not what Tracker Monitor (rather than Retrieve) does? If the vehicle is used without the keys, it kicks off the tracker device, and you get a phone call from Tracker to check you haven't just been rolling down your drive without starting the car up!

Darn! Get a good idea and find out someone else thought of it first. :mad:
Sorry Big-Ed, I thought the car owner had to report the theft to Tracker first to get the thing activated. Obviously not.

PJH said:
Darn! Get a good idea and find out someone else thought of it first. :mad:
Sorry Big-Ed, I thought the car owner had to report the theft to Tracker first to get the thing activated. Obviously not.

No worries mate - try suing them for retrospective theft of your idea.....

;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom