E-class child seats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

quasarman

Car
C320 Avantgarde SE Estate
Hi all

Can anyone confirm whether the current E-Class will fit 3 child seats in the back?
I need space for 1 fixed baby carrier (maxi-cosi cabriofix with base), 1 toddler seat (maxi-cosi tobi) and a child booster seat (any as these are cheap!) Not fussed about isofix and I'm aware only merc seats can go in the front.

This won't even nearly work in my c-class but I'm desperately trying to avoid people carriers! Also the multimacs are not really suitable as adults will occasionally share the back seat.

I assume you mean a W211? If so, no, they won't fit in the traditional sense.

What I did was buy a cheap poly booster seat, take the cover off and cut the innards down to fit the middle seat while the other outer two seats had baby/child seats in them. I then re-covered the booster seat.

Not ideal, but it worked...

Oo-er wouldn't really want to go that way.

Enquiring about the W212 rather than the 211...

A 210 will as it still has the flat back seat.

Providing you can get to the seat belt fasteners.

Modern seats are so bulky it's a very hard question without something like SPX's bodge (which is very impressive by the way).

There's a reason why the Smax and associated clan are so popular. I don't think that MB have an equivalent yet, but I'm sure it will come.

The things that concern me most about SPX's bodge are safety and liability.
I heard a few months ago about a family who had sadly lost a child in an accident and were subsequently apportioned partial liability for the death as the child was not in the correct type of car seat (moved up to booster seat too soon). This was even though they were not held in any way liable for the crash itself. Cannot even begin to imagine living with that.

Harry, some contraception would be far cheaper and easier - oops it's a bit late now ;)

I heard a few months ago about a family who had sadly lost a child in an accident and were subsequently apportioned partial liability for the death as the child was not in the correct type of car seat (moved up to booster seat too soon). This was even though they were not held in any way liable for the crash itself. Cannot even begin to imagine living with that.

Putting a too-small a child in a booster is a totally different thing. A plain booster seat serves only to raise the childs shoulder height and prevent submarining under the lap belt.

If you chop some bits off to squeeze it in a gap, that won't effect it.

But now they recommend kids stay in a high-backed booster until they don't need any seat, so the old "seat-only" boosters are not acceptable anymore safety wise IMO, they don't offer any side protection and side airbags are only at adult head height.

We use two rigid ISO-FIX high back boosters for our 2 (5 & 7), they'll be in them until they are 10 or 12.

Doesn't help the OP though....

Last edited:
Alternative technique is the term I'd use...:D

I actually looked into the three child seat thing and if you can't physically fit a third child seat in because the other two don't leave enough space, you aren't breaking any laws.

yes you could buy a S Max / Galaxy with its nice Isofix fittings and cardboard floors where the Isofix leg goes !!!!!!!!!!! Grrrrrrr design of the century

Alternative technique is the term I'd use...:D

I actually looked into the three child seat thing and if you can't physically fit a third child seat in because the other two don't leave enough space, you aren't breaking any laws.

I'd checked this out too, but I'm not as fussed about the legalities as I am about the safety aspect. Children submarining out of the middle seat belt and re-arranging the dashboard......

It seems there is no easy fix to this, I either suffer for several years with an smax or its kind or I buy some trousers with huge pockets and find an r-class with their apparently sky high running costs.

Seems to me MERCEDES that there is a big gap in the market for a solution to quite a common problem. Maybe an old school flat rear bench option as an alternative to rear facing child seats..... or maybe an mpv that doesn't cost £50k+

It seems there is no easy fix to this, I either suffer for several years with an smax or its kind or I buy some trousers with huge pockets and find an r-class with their apparently sky high running costs.

Seems to me MERCEDES that there is a big gap in the market for a solution to quite a common problem. Maybe an old school flat rear bench option as an alternative to rear facing child seats..... or maybe an mpv that doesn't cost £50k+

There are other alternatives, but they are mostly french. Toyota do something, and VW also I think. It seems odd that MB and BMW are both ignoring this segment, given they are everywhere else...

There's plenty of choice when it comes to MPV's but why does no one seem to want to make a family CAR for a family? Be it luxury or otherwise.

I could reel off lists of 3 child families at my kids school and pick up is like an s-max convention, as Troon says above no one makes a car with 3 seats in the back.

Perhaps most car designers think children are magically spawned age 13!!!

The GL is wide enough to get three child seats across the middle row - we have Maxi-Cosi Rodi XP's in the outer position both sides and our daughters 4-point seat in the middle. It's a bit of a pain buckling up the near side belt, but they are all well secured and we still have all the boot available.

The latest ML manages the same fete (at a push) too. I'm pretty sure the Rodi XP's are the narrowest seats available - we originally bought them for the back of our 911's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom