E class Command v Becker ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davymead

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Sold .. E350 CDI Sport Saloon 265. Mini JCW. Current
Looking through a lot of adverts for my purchase of a E 320 CDI Coupe and have now about figured out what spec is available. With you guys having years of experience I’d be very interested in your views on just two quick points.
Is there a big difference in performance between the 231 and 264bhp engines in performance/economy. Command v Becker ?
Any views would be very gratefully received. Thanks.

I would imagine you are going to notice 33bhp difference.. But I would drive both and see how you feel.
I ahve a Becker in my S204 and its perfectly fine, updates quick clear maps. no complaints really. A freind has the command, that seems fine also. I woudlnt worry to much.

Cheers

Firstly, the E-Class Coupe and Cabriolet (C207/A207) made between 2009 and 2017 are based on the C-Class W204 facelift, so you may find information more readily available if you google for that.

Then, you have a choice of either COMAND Online (NTG4.5/4.7) with built-in navigation, or Audio20 with the optional Becker Map Pilot.

COMAND is by far the better system of the two. Though in fairness, both systems are outdated, and so if you were thinking of replacing the original MB infotainment unit with an aftermarket one anyway, then it makes no difference which one you get with the car.

In either case, if buying from a dealer, insist on them updating both the firmware (free update), and the maps to the latest version, as condition of sale. Otherwise, the Becker Map Pilot maps will cost around £80, the COMAND maps around £100-£150.

But ultimately COMAND Online is the (much) preferred option. Even more so if you buy a car from late 2013 / early 2014 onwards - you'll get a COMAND unit (NTG4.5 Gen3, aka NTG4.7) that can connect to the Internet using either iPhone or Android (earlier units were Android-only), and you'll get a system that can use the TomTom Live Traffic data service (earlier units only had the free TMC).

Last edited:
Having had my 2008 CLS 320cdi 225bhp re-mapped to 260bhp the difference is significant. The real improvement is the torque (now around 450ftlbs). It did improve economy when I don't use the extra power but that is not why I had it done. It just made the whole driving experience more effortless. Can get 44-48 on a long run if I am gentle, 40-43 if I just drive it normally on a run.

Firstly, the E-Class Coupe and Cabriolet (C207/A207) made between 2009 and 2017 are based on the C-Class W204 facelift, so you may find information more readily available if you google for that.

Then, you have a choice of either COMAND Online (NTG4.5/4.7) with built-in navigation, or Audio20 with the optional Becker Map Pilot.

COMAND is by far the better system of the two. Though in fairness, both systems are outdated, and so if you were thinking of replacing the original MB infotainment unit with an aftermarket one anyway, then it makes no difference which one you get with the car.

In either case, if buying from a dealer, insist on them updating both the firmware (free update), and the maps to the latest version, as condition of sale. Otherwise, the Becker Map Pilot maps will cost around £80, the COMAND maps around £100-£150.

But ultimately COMAND Online is the (much) preferred option. Even more so if you buy a car from late 2013 / early 2014 onwards - you'll get a COMAND unit (NTG4.5 Gen3, aka NTG4.7) that can connect to the Internet using either iPhone or Android (earlier units were Android-only), and you'll get a system that can use the TomTom Live Traffic data service (earlier units only had the free TMC).
Superb. Many thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom