E Class comparison

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
E350 CDi.

^^THIS^^, the reason I bought a 350 CDI was that my mate had a C220 and I thought that his was quite punchy, but I just needed a few more torques to waffle past sports cars :D

:thumb:

You mean the layout? The driving position?

Both are perfect, whereas the early W212 felt a step backwards from the facelift W211, the W213 feels like a big leap forward from the facelift W212 (which I do really like).

Out of all the cars I've sat in or driven in the past year, I think the W213 is the best, I am mightily impressed and that's not something I am very often!

The screens - I'm looking forward to all that LED.

I much prefer the layout on my C207, which is based on W212. Straightforward , orderly ,easy to use , and no distractions.

Last edited:
I'm surprised you find it so noisy. I changed from a 2014 e300 hybrid (so basically an e250 during motorway driving) and find my w213 e220d to be noticeably quieter. And that's coming from 17 inch to 19 inch wheels with ridiculous 275 wide rears (why do they need that much girth on a sedate diesel is beyond me).

The comand online system is at least equally slow as the basic system, really annoys me now. Only let down in the whole car. It drives better than my old one (so se spec must be fantastic), handles much better, like a smaller car rather than a boat like the e300 did. Diesel is much quieter and more importantly you can hardly feel the rattle through controls (I could really feel it in the old one which spoilt the otherwise serene cabin). I get perhaps 90 percent the same economy as I got with the hybrid. Thought it would be closer on the roads I use given its lighter by some 200kg and the engine is more efficient but it's still good considering it's not having to rely on expensive (and environmentally unfriendly) battery packs.

Dash is lightyears ahead of w212. Pictures do no justice. Se spec with metal dash is so so. But the amg line with black ash (spec I have) looks a million dollars. The only flaw is the shiney black plastic in centre console which as someone else mentions, scratches when you blow dust across it. I've got the wide-screen dash and it's a thing of beauty. The software sucks sometimes but most of the time it just looks great. Resolution of both displays is so high passangers remark it looks 3d.

I also find the seats leagues ahead of the old one. I'm 6 foot 4 and really appreciate the lumber support. This is one of very few cars I've ever been in where headrest comes forward enough to actually touch my head which is reassuring in event of rear end impact.

I'm loving the burmester stereo but only had basic spec on old car (got premium plus spec on this one) so can't really compare.

It's a huge step up from last gen. Not so much engine wise from a 350 but as written, it runs it close and beats it for cost/performance. They just need to make the bloody software better.

The screens - I'm looking forward to all that LED.

You'd love it; they've executed it perfectly in my opinion, just the right size.

Got my old 350 back tonight, feels and looks dated after the new 220.. but I expected that..
Only drove a short distance home, in the dark in traffic. Initial thoughts... bloody hell the steering is heavy!! Noise wise, at standstill and moving off not much difference, quicker speeds the 350 is definitely a tad quieter, but only talking about road noise here. My brakes aren't as powerful, and the tightness wasn't there that the 220 had, but as mine is nearly 7 years old vs a new one.... Had one chance to floor the throttle, definitely more punch from the 3.0l, my adaptive headlights are better and also used the voice command which i missed for the last few weeks.

Would definitely have the 220 over mine but I would have to pay 3 times the amount for the pleasure! so think I will stick with mine for a while

ps. my heated seat works now :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom