E Class comparison

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GavJ

Car
E350
I thought I would take this opportunity to do a comparison check(my view) between my own E350 2010 and the E220d 2016 I have as a courtesy car.

My own is a lot older but only has 35k on it. I put it into my local dealer to get the heated seat fixed and it has turned out to be bigger job than they expected so they have asked me to hang onto the loan car until January....

Initial impressions were good, very modern interior compared to mine, wasn't too keen on the flat black wood but general shape and look of the dash is good. Seats are part leather part suede and sporty as in very supportive, comfortable enough but not any more so than my own.

No command which is a pity, picked the car up in the dark and struggled to switch on the radio amongst other functions... stopped for fuel and had a look around, that sorted it. The display for the audio etc was nice, but not very quick. Found myself selecting twice as the screen takes a couple of seconds to respond. Dab radio is nice, would like that in mine.

Lights are powerful but not adaptive / auto high beam like the E350, the horrible third pedal for the parking brake has gone... hooray!

Love the steering wheel, chunky with flat bit at bottom. Buttons are "touch" as well as push so when you sweep your finger over the button the display changes.... nice. Reversing camera was good and very clear, used to have this on my Jag XF but the merc appeared brighter. Indicator stalk and cruise control now swapped position.... didn't like mine when I first got it, now I don't like the new arrangement!! That's obviously me...

Power wise it is impressive, not far off the power of the 350, although I haven't driven it very fast, but for legal speed range.... I think this is down to the extra gears and it seems to change down a gear when you touch the accelerator even lightly. Noise wise... at standstill, noisy rattly diesel clatter (compared to the 350) not that loud in reality, was in my friends 2.0l mini diesel yesterday... now thats loud. Cruising on the motorway you cant hear the engine for the road noise. (same as my E350) but road noise was more than mine due to the low profile tyres (AMG line).

Doing my usual mix of driving, country roads and some motorway some town, getting an average of 46 mpg, my E350 would be showing about 37mpg for the same.

In summary, nice car especially if you want the sport side, although it's neither a sports car or a luxury cruiser. I would like to try the non AMG version.. mines an Avant guard, don't think you get them now? I prefer the big luxury feel, leave the fast fun for my bike.

Acid test will be when I get mine back.... hope I still like it!!

Appreciated.

Looking for a 2-year old E Class to replace my 250 and seek a 350 but few and far between in my preferred specification BUT many, many 220s.

Presumed that the 220 would be a "motorway slug". I am a "steady eddie" motorway cruiser at the "unofficial motorway speed limit" but do like a little oomph when needed (the 250 has sufficient but more is always gratefully accepted, hence perception of 350).

Kindly, update with motorway capability, if you get the opportunity.

The 2016 220 diesel (assuming this is the W213) is an entirely new engine and not the same as the 220 engine which would be in a 2 year old E class.

The new 220 is around 190bhp compared to the older 150bhp version, so much closer to the previous E250's 204bhp.

Thanks for the comparison, interesting to see your final view.

Used the 220 again today, mostly in traffic, it is growing on me as I get used to it. I think the overriding feeling is that it doesn't feel like a large luxury car.

Found the eco mode today, early shifts from the gearbox and "gliding" when off the throttle. Reminds me of how I used to drive my X-type manual. With eco on I got 42 mpg today, reckon my 350 would have returned 32 on the same run so a considerable advantage in economy.

Playing with the radio, again very slow to react, selected a few stations which took about 3 seconds to come on!

I would definitely switch off the stop start function, just hate the jarring when the started kicks in, not sure how much fuel it saves ?

The car also has "AD Blue" nothing on the dash telling me to put any in so i don't know if there is any in the tank......

Having a look around it today in the daylight, looks too much like a C class to me. Nice enough looking car but prefer the four headlights and hood ornament on my old fashioned 350. Its a light grey metallic colour with grey alloys, would look better if it was clean.

The 2016 220 diesel (assuming this is the W213) is an entirely new engine and not the same as the 220 engine which would be in a 2 year old E class.

The new 220 is around 190bhp compared to the older 150bhp version, so much closer to the previous E250's 204bhp.

I have a 2012 220d and it kicks out 170bhp.

167bhp (400nm) vs 191bhp (400nm) to be precise which is still close to the older E250 204bhp (500nm) than the E220 performance wise which is the point being made.

I have an e350 9g CDI coupe 258 bhp 620 nm torque/ 457 lbs ft. I've also owned 220 and 250, neither compare to the effortless power and torque of the V6 engine, MPG is often better than I got in the 220, for me the 350 is the one to go for.

I have an e350 9g CDI coupe 258 bhp 620 nm torque/ 457 lbs ft. I've also owned 220 and 250, neither compare to the effortless power and torque of the V6 engine, MPG is often better than I got in the 220, for me the 350 is the one to go for.

Count me in ... I also have an E350 9g Coupe and have had a string of other E-Classes. The 350 is a great all-rounder with more than enough grunt for my needs. The only down-side is the power/torque meter, which forces me to floor it routinely ...
I downsized from an E320 to an E220 a few years back and really didn't miss the extra grunt, but it's great to have it back.

Today seen 150 miles of mostly motorway cruising. 70 mph with cruise control, some 50 sections with average speed cameras....

Consumption went up to just over 50 mpg. At 70 mph the road noise was intrusive, now to get that in perspective Im not talking about ford fiesta noisy, but not as quiet as my 6 yr old E350. I struggled to converse with my son in the back, I don't know if this was due to the radio being too loud (to mask the road noise) or just the ambient noise levels. I felt myself raising my voice to be heard and having to ask him to repeat himself which ended up with him leaning forward to converse.... not what happens in my car. dropping down to 60mph restored normal service.
Cant wait to get my car back to see if I'm expecting too much? I have only had my E350 for a few months, and actually find it slightly more noisy than my previous car, jag XF 3.0D.

Heated seat & rear window demister used this morning, was 2 deg C when we set out. Seat heater was much better than mine (mines not working hence its visit to dealer) rear window demist much better than mine. Heater started to blow reasonably warm air after about 5 miles, similar to my E350.

Other than that only other issue I had was whenever I returned my coffee to the cup holder I accidentally touched the comand knob and changed the radio!! Also with the empty cups in the holders I couldn't reach my wallet & phone stored in the cubby hole in front of the cup holder.

Nice touch I noticed today was the key holder, keyless ignition is fine but with my previous Jag XF i was always struggled when trying to find my keys when I stopped.. old age doesn't come alone :)

I am now bored with the 220 and want my own back...... its a nice car... a very nice car, but its not mine.

Quick update..... I still have the 220, should ? get mine back tomorrow, now waiting on a new bracket for one of the DRL's.

Been playing a bout with the auto parking function on the 220, wow, had guy watching me from an Audi yesterday laughing his head off in disbelief. He pulled into the car park as I was mid maneuver, watched me reverse park into a space with my hands on my head :) The system steers, brakes, changes from drive to reverse and even puts the indicator on!!

Good system but a bit too cautious / slow. If there is someone behind you, you would just do it yourself so that the traffic can get moving again.

I have done my normal run to work, which is 7 miles of A roads, my 350 does 32 mpg ave on this, the 220 does 41. The overall average in the 220 to date 45 mpg, I reckon my 350 would be sitting around 38 for the mixture of runs I have done.

Attachments

• DSC_0848.jpg
    DSC_0848.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 92
No wonder Mercedes gives you a choice of 61 ??? colours for the ambient lighting - that interior looks so plasticky and bland.:fail

It does rather, doesn't it? The materials will doubtless be much better, but it reminds me of a Gen III Hyundai Coupe. Still, if that's what the market wants...

To be fair, the photo doesn't do it justice, the dash & doors are stitched leather and the wood, although matt not gloss, does look like real wood. Still not my personal taste, Im old school as in polished wood and beige leather... getting harder to find now...

ps. another call today.. car still not ready, maybe tomorrow. Beginning to suspect that they have damaged it and are trying to repair..... it will be getting a good look over when I get it back.

Appreciate the update(s)......................you really are not selling the 220 to me:D.................such a shame that I will opt for another 250 or maybe go 350:bannana:

I've spent a good chunk of time in the W213 and the interior completely blows away that of the W212; it leans more towards the S-Class than the C-Class and benefits greatly because of it. Hints of the greatest interior ever made too; the W211.

I was very impressed with it.

I've spent a good chunk of time in the W213 and the interior completely blows away that of the W212; it leans more towards the S-Class than the C-Class and benefits greatly because of it. Hints of the greatest interior ever made too; the W211.

I was very impressed with it.

Which model fella?

How was the dash set up?

You mean the layout? The driving position?

Both are perfect, whereas the early W212 felt a step backwards from the facelift W211, the W213 feels like a big leap forward from the facelift W212 (which I do really like).

Out of all the cars I've sat in or driven in the past year, I think the W213 is the best, I am mightily impressed and that's not something I am very often!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom