E Class Coupe aftermarket springs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CharlieRC

Car
E250 AMG Sport CDI 7G-Tronic
I'm coming up to a year's ownership of my first ever MB, my beloved E class coupe (E250 CDI AMG Sport) and whilst I have enjoyed a very noticeable power upgrade from my old diesel civic, I almost feel as though the (relatively) soft suspension is dampening the potential fun I can have with this thing.

Most of my driving is to and from work, via residential streets and a few main roads with traffic lights every few hundred metres (school run period too). But when I do take it out of town and drive with a bit more "spirit", it seems to just wallow round the corners and I don't feel as involved as I would like.

I don't want to ruin the car, and I know it's a bit of a chonker (well aware it's not a hot hatch), but are there any well known spring sets I can get that might stiffen things up a bit for a more planted feel?

Thanks in advance and apologies if this is a noob/repeated question.

Attachments

• coop.jpg
    coop.jpg
    369.3 KB · Views: 16
I would have thought being a coupe and an AMG at that it would have the AMG setup which is fairly stiff anyway, 2 things come to mind, worn suspension especially the shocks if its wallowy or the original owner specified softer suspension if thats even possible on the AMG models, as far as suspension parts am sure the usual suspects will have options such as Spax, Koni and Apex but I would be wary of ruining the ride and cracking wheels, would be worth looking at the shocks first and perhaps the bushes am sure there are harder versions available

I'd say the OP's car is an AMG-line model so has the cosmetics from the AMG but not the running gear (certainly not the drivetrain!)
As suggested above get the suspension checked for wear or leaking shocks, if faults found repair and see how it feels. If all well I'd go down the coil-over route from a respected manufacturer such as Bilstein. Transformed my C270cdi which already had the Sport and lowered suspension from the factory. The coil-overs were a far more controlled ride, not harsh at all.

I've used H&R springs on past CLK500 and a 911 with great results, no choppy ride and IMO more comfortable than standard with an added sensible 20-30mm drop

Sorry guys, for some reason I didn't get any notifications to replies to this thread.

Thanks all for your input...
Yes, this is just the AMG Sport, not a true AMG model, so whilst it has AMG markings on the wheels, drilled discs and some other cosmetic touches, it's still just an E250 CDI underneath.

My original post did appear to be me complaining about the ride, but that's not the case. I've had the suspension checked and all wheels aligned recently, no issues there, and I totally acknowledge that this isn't a "sporty" car it's meant for cruising in comfort and style... it's just my own personal preference that I'd like it to look a bit meaner by lowering it and possibly wheel spacers to truly fill those arches, and ride a bit stiffer going round the bendies :)

Thanks people for the suggestions.

A set of H&R springs will lower it a bit and set you back £250 plus fitting. You have nice wheels on it and I would not personally recommend going to 19s as the profile of tyre needed leads to a harsh ride. Spacers on the back will make it look more aggressive but some people hate them. Is it set up with all tyres the same size? MB did these with a wider setup on the back, you could try that with your standard wheels?

Lower it then and see how it sits. Should look good. My 2010 A207 has the MB sports suspension and is quite low already, I certainly wouldn’t lower mine anymore. It looked nice on the 19s it had when I bought it but I have changed to 17s as the ride was horrible. The 19s were aftermarket so 9.5 on the back so looked quite wide and gave the car an aggressive stance. Lots of grip but ruined the handling in my opinion. Feels much better on the all square 17 set up even though there is less ultimate grip the handling is much more progressive and predictable. As you say they are not sports cars so it is all relative.

Without lowering it try some uprated shocks they will cost more but can be valved according to taste so you can have the standard height and comfort but slower compressions such as bends will be stiffer sudden or higher compressions will overcome the valve tweaks and react as normal 90% of the time, speak with Koni or spax or better still Quantum they can all provide a solution Quantum especially as they are adjustable, this way compliance is maintained but cornering is stiffer

Hi , I have a similar car to yours and the car does roll if( not to much ) driven with enthusiasm and he sport button makes little difference in ride but steering sharpens up and the throttle response is different.

The ride is good but I found tyre pressure (35 psi ) is critical in obtaining achieving a engaged drive.Othe drivers may not agree.

Had my car serviced yesterday and the pressures were different in each wheel. All 40 psi plus but weather no doubt played it's part.

I would be careful in lowering the car.

When the time comes to renew suspension items I will do a lot of investigation to make sure the car is improved.

Good luck

H&R all the way! Will look great on your,
E class coupe. 🙂👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom