E Class Coupe (c207) Advice (or Bmw 330 Coupe?)What do you guys think?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mathoo19

Car
E220 Cdi Amg Sport Coupe
Hi all,

After several years of driving VAG cars I bought my first old Mercedes-Benz C Class Coupe (w203) and I like it. I like it so much that I am thinking about buying another MB.

I am looking to spend around 20k and like the look of c207 E coupe sport. But I read a few stories and I'm wondering if I should look at bmw 330 instead.

Also I'm wondering if it's worth paying a little extra and buy from main dealer (2009,2010 car) or go elsewhere and buy a slightly newer one with less mileage.
(I don't want to go over 50k miles)

We don't drive much so I would like the 350 CGI but I don't think I will be able to find one within my price range.
Which leaves me with 350 CDI.. But with around 8000 miles per year im not sure if it's a good idea (hence the bmw 330 idea) I don't need it for long distance travel, I just want a nice looking car.
I have driven both MB and BMW. BMW drives better but I am not sure that I like the "look" that comes with it. MB seems to give you more of a classy look.

If I bought private or non franchise (and save about 2k or buy 2011 car) is it worth buying MB warranty or any other warranty for that matter?
What about that service plan?
I work for Nissan/Renault so I know how main dealers operate but MB warranty could be helpful as these cars are expensive..don't know..you tell me

I wanted to ask more questions but can't remember what they were atm so let's start with this. :doh:

What do you guys think?

Hi all,
If I bought private or non franchise (and save about 2k or buy 2011 car) is it worth buying MB warranty or any other warranty for that matter?
What about that service plan?

IF the car you buy has a full MBSH, then you will be able to buy Tier 1 warranty on a yearly basis; this gives the same level of cover as you would have as if it were a new car. Personally, pole-barge-touch- wouldn't-with (rearrange for that well know saying) when it comes to the insurance type warranties offered by no-franchise dealers. Everything seems to written off as wear and tear……it doesn't take much research via Google to find endless complaints from buyers.

We haven't gone for a service plan because our mileage is low. Work out the service intervals (some are 18months-15,000 miles) so a yearly plan would not be economical for your mileage.

As for the Cdi argument, buying second hand, it isn't so much the annual mileage, it is more the type of driving……..lots of short trips are not ideal for diesels but normal, mixed usage won't be problem, I would say.

Does it have to be a Coupe? There is a stunning C350 petrol saloon just been advertised on here by Mercland for about £10k, a trade in by a forum member.

If you want a 6 cylinder petrol engine Coupe then BMW is probably the way to go. V6 petrol MB COUPES are a very rare animal nowadays. The majority are 4 cylinder twin turbo diesels with the odd V6 Oil burner. But don't believe me - check the used car ads

Last edited:
There is not much room in the back of the E coupe , obviously depending on where the front seats are and the potential size of your rear seat passengers.

Don't let the doom mongers put you off a DPF equipped cars , if you do mainly town driving just take it for a "spirited" run down the motorway once in a while, after all manufacturers do not make cars that are "not" designed specifically for town work.

If you buy from a franchised dealer then you will get a one year warranty with the car , this may redress some of the financial balance between a dealer / non franchised / private purchase.

IMHO the BMW is a nicer looking car than the 207 as I think the E looks a little awkward at the rear around the arches , just my opinion though.

I contemplated a 207 for some time but in the end I went for a CLS.

Kenny

I bought a new E coupe 250cdi 3 years ago (just coming up to its first MOT). I have owned other MB's and after 3 years or so I have had the itch to change. However the E coupe is a car that does everything that I want. It is quick and appears well put together. No rattles. Good fuel consumption and after 33000 miles it has averaged a brim to brim accurate 48.94mpg (mixed driving of 200 mile runs plus an annual sojourn to Spain plus quite a bit of local short trip running). Several tankfuls over 50mpg. Rarely have I noticed the dpf regenerating.
Regarding a comment made on this thread about rear seats - they are very comfortable (remember there are only 2 at the rear - so no space for a third rear passenger); access is easy as it is possible to drop all the side windows with one hit on the key fob button and then with the front seat forward access is comfortable.
The car is a great compromise. Sizewise being on the C class chassis it is easy to park but it has all the build and gizmos of the E Class. Mine has the speed camera, cornering headlights, electric pack etc.
The icing on the cake is that it is a real head turner. A car that I certainly intend to keep longer than I would normally.

Thanks for your replies,

Its only 2 of us so we wont need more than 2 doors (hope this wont change anytime soon:) and I also prefer the coupe look. Looks more sporty and "young"

Most of my driving is done around Chester so I wanted the petrol but I guess I could always take the Diesel for little drive around North Wales every week or so..

I had a look and I could get a 2010 car but there is only 1 petrol within my price range and its at some random garage so I can get a CDI for around 17k private and 19k dealer.
I also looked into that Tier 1 warranty and it should come in at around £1000 per year.. so i guess there isnt much in it and its probably worth buying from main dealer as 1 year will come included in price and I know that its been looked after (in theory).
I wouldnt ever consider getting any other warranty as they are worth jack..

i am looking at e350 Sport with comand as I think that comand might help me sell it once im done with it. Is there any specific spec that would be worth looking for?
I had a quick look around on here but are there any major issues with these cars? Anything I should consider?
Can you think of any other car that I could look into?
(c class/coupe seems a bit too "sales rep" and common (no offence to anybody who has one) and sadly I cant afford c63)

All I want is something smart and comfortable with 4-5 seats but not too shouty like A5 for example.
And I like our old C class, it drives nicely and is surprisingly comfy for a small old banger so I thought I try MB again.. and like Survey said.. E class Coupe seems to tick all of the boxes at the moment

I agree with JamesRan. Don't dismiss the E500 coupe. It's a great car. In comfort mode it will waft along very smoothly but press the sport button and it becomes a very quick machine. Throttle response changes dramatically. I've been averaging around 24 mpg overall and get around 18k miles from the back set of tyres, since I changed to Michelin. The Dunlops lasted around 11k miles.
There aren't many around but if you find a good one then you won't regret it.

I had a 2009 330i from new for 3 years and did 57k miles. It was a fantastic car. I thought about an E coupe when I sold it but found it to be much smaller on the inside especially rear seats. Mine was Bluewater (colour) so not aggressive boy racer type.

I wouldn't touch a diesel, enjoy the 6 cylinder petrol, they're so smooth.

The problem with the BMW 3 Series Coupe is that they look much the same as the very many 3 Series on the road. And the latest 3 Series / 4 Series Coupe has a very ugly 'hump' on the bonnet,presumably for crash protection.

The E Class Coupe, however, does look fairly unique and, to my eye anyway, very elegant. Even the 4 cylinder diesels have plenty of torque, cruise very quietly, and are economical. The pano roof looks well on light colours. I would say that Distronic, Satnav and Xenon are must haves.

The piano roof looks well on light colours

Had a Beemer 320d coupe as a loan car when my 3 series saloon went in for a warranty issue, it was a lovely car and at the time wished I had gone for the Coupe. When it came to scratch the itch again I had a test drive of the 4 series Coupe and the inside of the car did not do it for me, seemed very plastic and some of the trim variations were rather blingy, Had a test drive on a E350 CDI demonstrator which I had for the day and was hooked , it just about had every extra apart from Dab which to be honest I'm not much of a audio buff, it is a bit tight in the back seat behind me as I have the seat well back and yes it is only a four seater , put the switch in sport mode and it sings along , have not done a true MPG because at the moment I just like to give it some right foot , of course within the law! . I love the looks of the E Coupe and I think I have at last found a car I will keep for longer than i usually have in the past ;)

However nice people say the BM is to drive, people do not take a second look. Drive an E-Coupe and it turns heads.

Go for the E-Coupe, exude some class and be unique :rock:

Fudger. +1
Bionoc - my rear tyres replaced at 23000 miles (they were above the legal limit but had picked up a couple of minor splits from stones); front tyres replaced at 32300 miles!

Last edited:
Thats exactly why I am inclined to go for E350 instead of BMW. They drive nicely but they are so common and uninspiring to look at. E Class coupe looks more classy and upmarket to me. I will go for that.

I cant afford the E500. So I will need to look for e350 but so far only found 2 petrol car that I could afford. Not sure if I should go for diesel. I guess I am a just worried that it will all go wrong as we dont do enough motorway driving and diesels dont like town that much (not just DPF)

I spoke to an ex MB UK employee (worked for MB stockport) who told me to avoid MB Retail dealers and go to other MB dealers like Inchcape etc as they are much cheaper - both servicing and used cars.

Does anybody know anything about this?

I see plenty of both tbh to the point that the Merc could also be classed as common.In fact even the cabrios are plentiful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom