E class coupe help please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
These cars have the potential to take a bite out of your wallet if you buy the wrong one. All can suffer NOX sensor and AdBlue (BlueTEC) related problems. The four cylinder models have relatively weak timing chains and tensioners and the six cylinder models can suffer oil cooler seals (although this is usually the older models I believe). Budget roughly £1k each at an independent, double that at MB.
They are certainly not bullet proof as some people seem to think. Best to get one inspected by an independent MB expert.
Personally I would buy an older diesel one without the adblue system or buy a (rare) petrol model.

Thanks again, guys. You are so helpful, it really means a lot.

I never knew you could retrofit Appleplay and reverse cameras (hopefully not at an eyewatering cost).

I'm guessing I'm seeing artico leather as no ads have mentioned nappa leather - is artico good quality (as I'd expect on an E class) or naff?

My preference in colour - by a long way is white. Just looks so classy. There are a couple out there but the majority are black, which would be my second favourite. I don't like the other popular colours bar red (only seen one of them on sale).

I know it all depends on the car but here goes......

1) I'm seeing same age and spec cars for £11200 and £13500 (and all prices inbetween). All dealers check out as having good reviews on cardealerreviews.co.uk. So would it make sense to go for the cheaper cars or are they cheaper for some nefarious reason?

Eg: Mylson have a few near identical 220s - same mileage, specs, year and colour but up to £1500 price difference. Cazoo have near identical cars with up to £2500 price difference! They have a 2014 E220 with 28k miles at £14000 but a younger model (2015) at £12500.

2) Why do you rate pan roofs? Is it because of the light they let in? Do they actually let cool air in (unlike traditional sun roofs)?

3) I'm seeing quite a few BlueTECs but am now put off them due to the comments about them being costly to fix.

£13500 is my top end - I'be happier at £12k and more so at £11k.
I'm happy to PM links to cars that have my interest if that would help.

Budget roughly £1k each at an independent, double that at MB.
Per year???
Best to get one inspected by an independent MB expert.
I asked Evan Halshaw about sending an AA mechanic round and the answer was perturbing - that he can inspect the car but can't use their ramps or facilities, meaning he can't look underneath.

An AA report will be a waste of money. It will make a general list and then state a bunch of exclusions and "maybe" statements. About as much use as a chocolate teapot. It needs to be inspected by someone who knows the cars and what to look for. You would be better buying privately and having a Mercedes independent inspect the car prior to purchase.
Evans Halshaw is not a MB dealer is it?

btw ALL diesels in the year range you are looking at are BlueTEC.

£1k for timing chain on a 4 cylinder diesel, or £1k for oil cooler seals on a V6 diesel. Only possible for the 4 cylinder timing chain. Turn off stop start on these for every journey as it's guessed this is what has caused snapped chains.

Likely requirment for the V6 diesel cooler seals somewhere between 60-100k miles would be my guess.

I wouldn't worry about getting it inspected before. I'm sure I've missed good cars as a result.
I'd get it inspected immediately AFTER purchase, as you have 30 days from a trader to return the car for any reason, minus sensible costs, and the trader has to repair faults or offer a replacement within 6 months of purchase. This is Law, not Mercedes specific.

You only need to really be firm on upfront inspection for private sale.

In relation to cost variance, it's all a game and price differences don't necessarily mean anything.

Wanted to change the wife's Golf last year from diesel to petrol. Local VW dealer wanted £14k for the exact same spec car but petrol in black, with about 24k miles. VW Redditch wanted £12k for the exact same spec car but petrol in black with 18k miles. Both with full approved used warranty whatevers. Asked local dealer about matching, and basically told to eff off and not darken their door again (maybe I'm being a little harsh). Went to see the one in Redditch. Mint to the max. Brand new Hankook tyres all round. Did the deal. There was literally zero justification for the £2k price gouging at the other dealer! It had more miles on it!!!!

All post 2013 have leather seats.

Okay, so I've done some MOT checks on Vehicle Smart. Of the 15 cars I'm looking at, I have 9 that have had mild advisories at the most (worn brake pads and tyres). Should I stick to these or are the other cars, that have failed in the past - inc major issues like worn suspension and codes warning of 'major' engine MIL inoperative - still viable as the cars have 12 months MOT? I'd love to believe that bigger advisory issues have been fixed, especially as there's been a couple of MOTs since, but you never can be sure, especially if the last MOT was a fail and the garage has done their own MOT.

Basically look fot repeat advisories (ie not been fixed since last mot) you cam usually tell a well looked after car to be fair as for tyres on advisories i wouldn't worry to much about as long as they are a premium brand as mentioned earlier i think you have all the info you need just Dont rush into the 1st car you drive 😉
Keep us posted and welcome of course

Meant to say the tyre's that needed replacing are a premium brand 🤭

..I'm happy to PM links to cars that have my interest if that would help.

You will be able to send and receive PMs after your posts count reaches 30.

Id look for another marque . The thoughts of repairs seems to have put you off Mercedes. I've owned 5 mercs over the years and tbh they have all not cost me a penny more than the usual ,brake pads ,tyres ,oil changes etc.
Thanks again, guys. You are so helpful, it really means a lot.

I never knew you could retrofit Appleplay and reverse cameras (hopefully not at an eyewatering cost).

I'm guessing I'm seeing artico leather as no ads have mentioned nappa leather - is artico good quality (as I'd expect on an E class) or naff?

My preference in colour - by a long way is white. Just looks so classy. There are a couple out there but the majority are black, which would be my second favourite. I don't like the other popular colours bar red (only seen one of them on sale).

I know it all depends on the car but here goes......

1) I'm seeing same age and spec cars for £11200 and £13500 (and all prices inbetween). All dealers check out as having good reviews on cardealerreviews.co.uk. So would it make sense to go for the cheaper cars or are they cheaper for some nefarious reason?

Eg: Mylson have a few near identical 220s - same mileage, specs, year and colour but up to £1500 price difference. Cazoo have near identical cars with up to £2500 price difference! They have a 2014 E220 with 28k miles at £14000 but a younger model (2015) at £12500.

2) Why do you rate pan roofs? Is it because of the light they let in? Do they actually let cool air in (unlike traditional sun roofs)?

3) I'm seeing quite a few BlueTECs but am now put off them due to the comments about them being costly to fix.

£13500 is my top end - I'be happier at £12k and more so at £11k.
I'm happy to PM links to cars that have my interest if that would help.

Have a look also for petrol models. Its maybe a better choice.

Id look for another marque . The thoughts of repairs seems to have put you off Mercedes. I've owned 5 mercs over the years and tbh they have all not cost me a penny more than the usual ,brake pads ,tyres ,oil changes etc.

Have a look also for petrol models. Its maybe a better choice.

I was looking for a 2013/2014 petrol W204 before I bought my current car... This was the Golden Era of low BIK on Diesel cars.... the majority were Diesel at the time.

So I have spent all week shortlisting cars - hard to do when everywhere is closed and offering delivery as it means I end up looking nationwide and thus more cars - and have spent all day on my shortlist of 12 cars. Back and forth - comparing specs and datacards etc and hav a few questions before I lose the will to live.

1) Some ads say 'widescreen' headunit but all 2014 E220/350 look widescreen - are they stating the obvious or did MB offer wider screens as an option? I can't tell if some screesn do indeed appear wider than others or is just the camera angle deceiving me.

2) Some ads say maps are 3D - again is this standard or an MB optional upgrade?

3) One ad sates artico leather but the datacard says both '210a leather' & '211a leather - black/anthracite'. I'm guessing one of these code refers to the steering wheel? And does 210a mean nappa or artico leather?

4) What is [ 06U ] - MBCONNECT - BASIC SERVICES? And is it to be avoided?

5) The datacard for one car I really like states: 531 - COMAND APS NTG5/NTG5.5 whereas most other datacards say 527 - COMAND DVD APS WITH NAVIGATION and COMAND DVD APS WITH NAVIGATION. What is the difference?
(All state 502 - 3 YEARS OF MAP UPDATES FREE OF CHARGE)

6) What is [ 518 ] - UNIVERSAL COMMUNICATIONS INTERFACE (UCI) and why is it only on certain cars? I would assume all 2014/2015 coupes have a universal communications interface?

I'm not sure if I want pan roof or not and whilst a reverse cam is nice to have I've been told they can be retrofitted easily. With that said, what datacard entries should I be looking out for?

Just a thought as you mentioned Vehicle Smart.
You know you can check MOT history direct with the Gov website for free?

My use of a paid for service is basically an HPI check once I have found a car I am very very likely to buy. Before that, I've not needed to pay for any checks I might need.
I have never used Vehicle Smart, but it strikes me as one of those companies who pay google to get their result returned higher up the results list and try and scam people by charging for providing information that is available for free.
As I said, I've never used Vehicle Smart, so if I've got this wrong I apologise to OP and Vehicle Smart.

3) One ad sates artico leather but the datacard says both '210a leather' & '211a leather - black/anthracite'. I'm guessing one of these code refers to the steering wheel? And does 210a mean nappa or artico leather?
I don't think 210 and 211 are the interior leather codes.
If you use www.lastvin.com for the data card, the interior material is generally stated near the very top of the document under "General Data"
e.g. Interior LEATHER - BLACK/ANTHRACITE (231A)

See here for a full list of options:

2) 3D maps - it's a feature of almost all SatNav systems these days, I don't think that any navigation system fitted to MB cars of the era won't have it.

4) I believe that 06U refers to the KOM Module (with built-in Vodafone simcard) that is required for the Mercedes me services, I.e. access to the car systems via a mobile phone app.

5) Earlier cars will have COMAND Online NTG4.5. Later cars will have COMAND Online NTG5*1. The former is almost obsolete today (NTG4.5 was first introduced in 2010). The latter is the better system (introduced in 2014).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom